🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

When I was no more than maybe 8-9 years old there was a movie that I dared not see, but all my friends of course saw it. The film was called Congo and my friends bragged about how scary it had been. Over 10 years later I still had not seen the movie and when we had an evening to watch a movie my buddies decided that there we should see Congo because they remembered it to be so scary. None of them had seen it in maybe 8-9 years. During the film my buddies began to feel more and more ashame as they realized what a crap movie Congo was, and I could not help but to agree.

Congo is a film full of bad things, however, it is incredibly funny, not scary but fun. Tim Curry as a Romanian scientist takes the price but the little gorilla with a computer voice and the evil gorillas are also worth to be horrified and laughing about. In the middle of it all Delroy Lindo pops up as an African military who dislike that people eats his sesame cakes ...

Take a look at the Congo, you will not thank me. Keep up the good work.

Cyborg gorillas, diamond lasers, giant volcanoes, killer hippos, and Bruce Campbell, this movie has everything!

Bruce Campbell might be a fun guest if they did it, although from what I read in his autobiography, there may not be much for him to say about it.

(Basically: He accepted the movie in part because it meant he'd get to travel around Costa Rica on Paramount Pictures' dime, since he was barely required in the movie. He was also miffed that the producers and director didn't want him to deviate from the script at all, not even to insert an "um" in the dialogue. His guess was that the writer—who also wrote "Moonstruck" and went on to make "Doubt"—had a clause in his contract saying his writing couldn't be changed.)

• Like 1

Bruce Campbell might be a fun guest if they did it, although from what I read in his autobiography, there may not be much for him to say about it.

(Basically: He accepted the movie in part because it meant he'd get to travel around Costa Rica on Paramount Pictures' dime, since he was barely required in the movie. He was also miffed that the producers and director didn't want him to deviate from the script at all, not even to insert an "um" in the dialogue. His guess was that the writer—who also wrote "Moonstruck" and went on to make "Doubt"—had a clause in his contract saying his writing couldn't be changed.)

That didn't stop them from getting Kevin Smith for "Wild Wild West", which used an idea that got scrapped from a script that wasn't used on a movie that Kevin Smith ALSO wasn't ultimately a part of. That said, I should totally be a guest if they ever decide to do a show on "One For Money", if only for not including me in the excellent "Abduction" episode. Look it up, people!

I support 'Congo' being covered on a podcast for many-a reason...

There are a couple of potential nominees for Worst Accent in this movie, but Tim Curry really takes the cake. It's straight from Stock Russian Cartoon Villain, which is even less appropriate as his character is supposed to be Romanian. Since he's done so much children's cartoon voiceover work, maybe the voice is just a holdover from one of those roles? You know, where it was appropriate?

This was a weird time in Laura Linney's career when she was marketed as a sort of "Thinking Man's Sex Symbol." Oh, how enlightened we were in the 1990s, right dudes?

Grant Heslov plays an expert on African apes, yet he "doesn't even like picnics." What? It's like a Computer Geek character complaining that he doesn't even use a calculator.

Also, getting Andrew Ti from "Yo, Is This Racist?" as a guest would be pretty appropriate because... wow.

Joe Don Baker is in this movie.

• Like 1

I can't believe "Congo" hasn't already been on "How Did This Get Made." I love this movie and am proud to say I own the DVD (best five dollars I ever spent). From the author of "Jurassic Park" and screenwriter of "Moonstruck" and "Joe vs. The Volcano."

I never saw this movie but Direct TV has a trailer channel at the time it came out and the sound was Dobly Digital, new at the time, and they played this trailer a lot. All I remember is a gorilla signing with a computer voice saying "Amy, Jungle."

Lasers. Telecom Companies. Tim Curry. Albino gorillas. Stephen Hawking gorillas. Sesame cake. Hippo attacks. MORE LASERS!!!

Seriously, I think this would be a perfect HDTGM choice. There's enough "next level bonkers" nonsense going on for the team to do a 4 hour episode on this.

I concur. This movie is perfect for HDTGM. Joe Don Baker! Tim Curry as a Romanian count doing a Dracula impression by way of Egypt! A young Laura Linney looking lost and confused the entire movie! Also animatronic apes. Oh, and Bruce Campbell appears for 5 seconds.

This movie is just like Anaconda in every single way. And to just realize that Laura Linney is risking her life in the Congo for her job in Communications. What in God's name do Diamonds have to do with Communication?!? Why does Joe Don Baker send her into the Congo to begin with?!? Just please unravel this movie, unload on Tim Curry and Delroy Lindo's African dictator as soon as possible!

That sesame cake line continues to make me laugh after all these years. Not the line...but the delivery. Delroy Lindo just crushes it and kills me every time.

• Like 2

What the shit? How is I'm not able to embed the video even when using the embed code?

Great choice. If Bruce Campbell appeared on this episode I would lose my MIND.

Great choice. If Bruce Campbell appeared on this episode I would lose my MIND.

Agreed. Perhaps we can commence a Twitter Onslaught of FRIENDLY requests for him to be a guest?

This would be a good one. For some reason my sister and I loved this movie growing up and watched it on HBO about 25 times. It is truly awful but in the best possible way.

Who is Kafka? TELL ME!

I remember owning the board game for this, back in the 90s when everything had a board game. It was actually made to be like a video game where your character had a life bar and could actually die if they kept getting attacked by gorillas, mind you this came was for kids.

Sign in to follow this