🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Wien

Sliver (1993)

It is basically my life's dream right now for this movie to be covered on HDTGM. It's amazingly, shockingly, hilariously bad. There are weird creepy sex scenes and insane dialogue to rival The Room, plus tons of "cutting edge" 90s technology.

Look at the gifs here and tell me the phrase "next level bonkers" wasn't made for this movie.

• Thanks 1

To add to the lack of chemistry between anyone in the movie, this also features that tepid reggae version of 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You'.

The sign of a great movie: "Because of a major battle with the MPAA (which originally gave the film an NC-17 rating), the filmmakers were forced to make extensive reshoots before release. These reshoots actually necessitated changing the killer's identity."

I remember seeing this movie in the theater. the plot line is very weak at best. it's that same old apartment horror flick we've all seen too many times. new girl moves into a apartment building run by creaps, who is out to kill and stock her. or you do the twist with a room mate who is crazy and wants her life. seen it again and again and again. but hey this film has a good sound track if you are up for it.

but I have to say I like the music in this movie.

My two cents on it.

This 'movie' is just scene after scene of Sharon Stone and Billy Baldwin saying disgusting things to each other. If they do it on the show, I predict Jason will jerk it multiple times. But he'll be crying while he does it.

To add to the lack of chemistry between anyone in the movie, this also features that tepid reggae version of 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You'.

I actually really liked that version and still do.

There is apparently a book this movie is based on, and they had to LITERALLY change the identity of the Killer so that the MPAA would approve. Even if the book is shit, I need to see how off base the movie is from that.

• Like 1

The book is by Ira Levin, who wrote the books Rosemary's Baby, The Stepford Wives, and The Boys From Brazil, so if it's anything like those I'd guess it's kinda trashy but in a good way and better written than might be expected.

And I can't lie I kinda love that UB40 song too. It's mostly just nostalgia because it came out when I was a kid but either way yeah I listen to it when it comes on.

• Like 2

The screenplay is by Joe 'Jade' 'Basic Instinct' 'Showgirls' Eszterhas. That guy is really into graphic sex scenes. REALLY INTO.

I'm fascinated as to why they would have to change the killer's identity based on the rating. How could that possibly effect a plot point?

Also guys, this movie made a lot of money. It was basically a flop domestically (which was what I remembered), but it made a nice profit overseas.

• Like 1

I'm fascinated as to why they would have to change the killer's identity based on the rating. How could that possibly effect a plot point?

Right?!? Ever since I heard about this movie, I've wanted to read the book because I needed to know how that happened. A climactic love scene is one thing, but c'mon, THIS IS JUST REWRITING THE STORY.

Right?!? Ever since I heard about this movie, I've wanted to read the book because I needed to know how that happened. A climactic love scene is one thing, but c'mon, THIS IS JUST REWRITING THE STORY.

Well and was nudity somehow crucial to the killer's identity? Like cutting it down from NC17 meant they needed a new killer because the killer had a full frontal scene or something? WHAT IS HAPPENING

I remember there was a whole wave of shitty erotic thrillers in the 90's like Sliver, Basic Instinct, Color of night, like... Poison Ivy and... was there one with Richard Gere? I seem to recall something like that... Oh and wow, not to mention all those godawful B movies with Shannon Tweed...

Also when I watch any of the three, you know, not so successful Baldwin brothers (ones that are not Alec), it always feels like someone tried to clone Alec but something went terribly wrong...

I remember there was a whole wave of shitty erotic thrillers in the 90's like Sliver, Basic Instinct, Color of night, like... Poison Ivy and... was there one with Richard Gere? I seem to recall something like that... Oh and wow, not to mention all those godawful B movies with Shannon Tweed...

Also when I watch any of the three, you know, not so successful Baldwin brothers (ones that are not Alec), it always feels like someone tried to clone Alec but something went terribly wrong...

And Sliver & Basic Instinct shared the same screenwriter, so it's no wonder it feels like familiar territory.

The Richard Gere one you're thinking of is probably Final Analysis, which is probably the best of the bunch, really.

and... was there one with Richard Gere? I seem to recall something like that...

I think you were talking about Final Analysis with him, Kim Basinger, Uma Thurman, Eric Roberts and Keith David. That one is pretty silly too.

I rewatched this movie last night. as i had not seen it in years. it didn't make much of a long lasting impression on me. so I had forgotten most of the story line from originally seeing of it. it's not that bad of a movie but really it's a modern day Rear Window remake but with appartment voyeurism with surveillance cameras. Nothing to really write home about. kinda boring movie but I got into it. the sex scene are sorta pointless. but I guess you got to have something to sell the people on this film because the story wise it's weak at best. I don't know how people don't seem to break mirrors in this place... what ever.

Bumping this up because I do really want to see this done on the show or, failing that, at least convince other people to watch this insane mess

Always the sign of a great movie: the director claims that Sharon Stone and William Baldwin (who bear in mind play people who become romantically involved and have a bunch of weird creepy sex scenes together) hated each other so much that they demanded their scenes be shot separately whenever possible.

The movie was supposed to open with a shot of an active volcano; the volcano erupted while the crew was filming it and their helicopter crashed (fortunately no one was killed). The footage ended up not being used at all which makes sense because what the hell does a volcano have to do with any of this?

Sharon Stone's character has a friend at work who is like some kind of combination parody and anticipation of Sex and the City; she asks Sharon Stone how her weekend was by saying "Were you having multiple orgasms?" and at another point asks "Isn't Pearl Jam some kind of Oriental sex thing?"

• Like 1

The movie was supposed to open with a shot of an active volcano; the volcano erupted while the crew was filming it and their helicopter crashed (fortunately no one was killed). The footage ended up not being used at all which makes sense because what the hell does a volcano have to do with any of this?

If Khaela Maricich has taught me one thing, it's "get the hell out of the way of the volcano".

I could be mistaken, but from I remember of this movie, Sharon Stone never gets topless for the sex scenes. If so, that would be the most baffling part of this movie: that an erotic thriller couldn't convince a freshly post-Basic Instinct Sharon Stone to get half naked.

The only other thing I remember about the movie was way too much Baldwin ass. Who does he think he is, Sly?

This movie was on about once every six weeks on Channel 5 here in the UK. We used to have "Erotic Thrillers" every Friday Night, it was either a Shannon Tweed movie, or it was Sliver.

When you're between the ages of 13-17 with a TV in your room, those films get watched, a lot!

• Like 2

This movie was on about once every six weeks on Channel 5 here in the UK. We used to have "Erotic Thrillers" every Friday Night, it was either a Shannon Tweed movie, or it was Sliver.

When you're between the ages of 13-17 with a TV in your room, those films get watched, a lot!

Well, parts of them. Repeatedly. Or so I've heard...