đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
nthurkettle

Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation (1986)

When the FIRST movie featuring mid-80's plush superstars the Care Bears made a shocking amount of money, they rushed a sequel into production; and moved so fast that I don't think they noticed the sick undercurrents of the main plotline, where an all-destroying red cloud of supernatural hate called Dark Heart disguises himself as a cute teenage badboy and basically seduces teenage girl Christy by promising to use his dark magic to help her win all the sports at her summer camp, in exchange for an unidentified, ominous favor she'll owe him later.

His whole M.O. is kidnapping the Care Bears in sacks, and when he's thwarted, he straight MURDERS Christy with lightning, and then the Care Bears pull a Peter Pan and beg the children in the audience to bring her back to life by saying "WE CARE". It's...I don't know how you inflict this on children.

Seriously - how do they create a scene like this and not get how alarming it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSXFaiGPLg

• Like 1

I think I saw this at some point, because I definitely remember Dark Heart. Was this the only Care Bears movie with him in it, or were there others?

Also, my sister’s obsession with the Care Bears lead to her going through a phase of always answering the question of “Do you care if I... (eat this last cookie, borrow your toy, etc.) with a “YES!” because she wanted to be a Care Bear, and they care about everything.

This was Dark Heart's only appearance - IIRC (my little sister was very into these movies), the first movie had an evil book (Don't read, kids! Watch cartoons instead!), and the third movie took them to Wonderland. But the "Twilight" vibe on him is strong; he's totally the 80's toy version of a supernatural teen crush.

• Like 1

This movie I believe introduced Noble Heart Horse, who was the unhorsiest looking horse I have still ever seen in my life. He had hands! He was clearly a mohawked bear with a fake tail! That is a wiggy, wiggy bear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2019 at 3:36 AM, muttnik said:

This movie I believe introduced Noble Heart Horse, who was the unhorsiest looking horse I have still ever seen in my life. He had hands! He was clearly a mohawked bear with a fake tail! That is a wiggy, wiggy bear!

latest?cb=20161113154959

The lower legs are kind of horse-like, but I agree; much more likely an imaginary bear in a wig than an imaginary horse. 🤣

• Thanks 1

That lazy design drove me wild as a kid since there are other materials from the time where he is much more horse-like. The movie's poster art even! I mean you look at all the other cousins and it's clear what animals they're supposed to be, and then there's this alleged horse. A longer snout would have done wonders. Teat Heart Pig was allowed to have a snout and the design is better for it.

• Like 1

I saw the first film in the 80s. Do this one if you want, but PLEASE don’t pick it for your Seattle stop. I don’t want to be subjected to cloying, unwatchable shit I thought I left behind in childhood.

14 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I saw the first film in the 80s. Do this one if you want, but PLEASE don’t pick it for your Seattle stop. I don’t want to be subjected to cloying, unwatchable shit I thought I left behind in childhood.

Sounds like SOMEONE needs a good Care Bear Stare...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this