🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SmithFire13

Gary Thorne with PBA Bowling?

Turned on ESPN today to find Gary Thorne doing the play-by-play (roll-by-roll?) for the PBA Bowling tournament. This personally tugs at my heartstrings due to the fact that I grew up listening to legendary calls from Thorne aside his trusty Bill Clement. The man was born to call hockey regardless of his baseball background. Thought it would be an interesting talking point for the next podcast. Also, Yzerman is from British Columbia, so the famous 1996 Game 7 Western Conference Semifinals goal call might be a good edition to the collection.

Not sure the brothers would want to make the death of the St. Louis Blues a calling card of their show...

When it comes to hockey announcers, I'm partial to the ridiculous. Thus, I'll always love Pens announcer Mike Lange. His "Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley Get Me The Brandy" is so great. Though if we're going for inspirational, I think his call of Lemieux's last home goal in 97 takes the cake:

But on the ridiculous end of the spectrum, I thoroughly enjoy Randy Moller, the Florida Panthers play-by-play guy, who screams pop culture references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3b_7S-sGBo

I like to think there's an AHL announcer out there that also incorporates numerous culture references, ony being in the AHL, he can't get licensing rights for the big time films and music so he's forced to pull from obscure foreign films and indie rock.

Sign in to follow this