🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
cyrus

Episode 8 — Analyze Phish Episode 4

Breaking news: Harris just had a cameo in tonight's Parks and Recreation, and he mentioned Phish. Ahhhh!

• Like 1

Phish and Loathing at MSG... I'd say Scott and Harris are the new Raoul Duke & Dr. Gonzo... But Harris has already compared himself to Hunter S...

That said, I'd pay money to listen to these two dipshits hit the road together and drop beans at all kinds of events... Super Bowl, Republican National Convention, MTV Movie Awards?

• Like 1

longtime listener, first time forumssignerupperandposter.

i dont know how to explain why i love harris so much. but just reading people type out things like "best night of my life scott" and im instantly transported back to the podcast and hearing it with his voice and timing. for some reason it all makes sense to me. kind of like a phish show i assume.

little moments like that, or "shes our little miracle" from the CBB episode have me giddy every time i see harris is on the show.

Have to agree, I don't know what it is exactly, but I find Harris so incredibly funny, and seeing little phrases of his written out brings me right back into it. Especially in his Foam Corner-terrible joke mode. His and Scott's comedic sensibilities go really well together.

This was an amazing episode. I'll be evangelizing for the church of Scott and Harris with this audio

Also, Scott is a genius. And have people here seen the divisive LA Weekly article? http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/phish_harris_wittels_scott_auk.php

I'M SORRY YOU WENT TO YOUR 1ST SHOW WITH A BUNCH OF F*CKING AMATEURS!!!!!!!

You're just jealy. If Harris and his buddies, having done this for at least 10 years, are amateurs, then what would you consider a pro, dear person?

I thought the episode was hilarious but was upset that it focused mainly on drugs instead of the music. While drugs are often a part of the Phish experience they aren't necessary or sufficient in order to enjoy a show.

I completely agree. Scott, if you want to truly attempt to "like" Phish, you gotta really listen to the music at a show. Zone out everything else and get into the groove. The drugs are an adjunct and shouldn't be the primary focus. I know it might not make for the most compelling pod-cast audio clips, but it's the only way....

You're just jealy. If Harris and his buddies, having done this for at least 10 years, are amateurs, then what would you consider a pro, dear person?

Definitely not jealy of anyone. Are you 3 years old? Was at MSG all 4 nights. They are amateurs for a few reasons. Tickets behind the stage? Step it up for your friend and have a seat with a good view so Scott could enjoy the show properly and not have to worry about his seat or being with the group in the first place. And get some decent droogs if that's what you're going to base the entire thing around. If it was me I would've been more of a guide for Scott and done what he was doing to ensure that we were on the same page. Whether it's complete bullshit or not-the buddy system really works in these circumstances :)

As others have already noted, this was a really disappointing conclusion to the analyze phish project. Harris and his group come off like total morons (a sentiment voiced throughout the podcast by Harris himself). While getting fucked up is certainly part of the experience, it need not be the focal point. Scott would've been better served to have drank a few beers, smoked a little weed and taken in the experience on its own merit, instead of worrying the whole time about whether the drugs he had taken were working or not. To predicate the entire evening on getting Scott high and insinuating that this was the only way he would be able to appreciate the show and the music is the exact stereotype that we, as lifelong fans of the band, fight off all the time. I've been to shows sober and I've been to shows high (too high) and been to a lot of shows somewhere in between. The point is to take in the whole experience and vibe for its own sake. Scott apparently did get that sense but the show probably fell flat cause he was expecting to "trip out so hard"

For a more intelligent and thoughtful viewpoint on the joys of going to your first show check out this review from MSG 09:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/endorsement/phish-madison-square-garden-review-120309

I'd rather be a Mormon missionary than a fan of Phish or any other jammy/self-masturbatory cover band.

I'd rather be a Mormon missionary than a fan of Phish or any other jammy/self-masturbatory cover band.

DO IT! I hope your just trolling. Also they're not a cover band. They have originals, but when they do cover a song, they do it good.

Phish covering Zappa

And this is from a SOBER person who goes to shows

Just finished the episode and laughed so hard when I saw Harris' guest spot on Parks and Recreation later the same day. "He's been to over 200 Phish shows." Was further rewarded when I went to sketch writing class the next day and two guys were also talking about this. Any day I get to listen to Analyze Phish is a good day. Love the show!

"You'll never get out of this maze bro!!!" This podcast is awesome!

Harris, I've been in your shoes many times and I know how hard it is to turn a skeptic into a believer... and Scott, you're a good sport for going to such lengths... Phish is like Dungeons and Dragons! That being said, I honestly don't think you'll let yourself get into them because you clearly love ragging on Harris and the granolas. It's a serious trade...

10 Suggestions...

1 - Scott seems to have wide musical tastes so listen to jams in different genres (metal - Carrini; bluegrass - SOAM with the Hassidic jam; blues - My Soul; jazz - Bowie; calypso - PYITE).

2 - Scott likes musicals so talk about Gamehendge.

3 - Compare an album version with a live version (Free).

4 - Compare jams of different live versions (Tweezer).

5 - Scott is still missing some of the more accessible songs (First Tube, DWD, Suzie, Roggae, Dirt).

6 - Scott seems like an philosophical guy who would appreciate some cryptic lyrics (Sand, Steam).

7 - Scott needs to be commit to non-sensical lyric immersion therapy (Weigh, Catapult, Sanity).

8 - Scott needs to watch a NYE stunt.

9 - Have another guest because Scott seemed more receptive when he wasn't the only skeptic.

10 - And if nothing else works go for the Hail Mary (Twist>Piper 9/4/11).

After thought... Scott said that it would be stupid for a band to sing about playing in a band, but then he said that Simple was a rocking song.

"We've got it simple because we've got a band... and we play cymbals in the band"

Phish is now growing on me, thanks to this podcast, but I can't help but feel the band would be even better if they gave more respect and acknowledgement to their lighting designer.

I'm sure that this unsung hero puts in countless hours of toil to really give concertgoers an experience unique to Phish shows, and if he were only more lauded, this could only inspire the band to even greater heights.

It's a shame that the lighting designer, whoever he is, works in obscurity. Shall nobody shine a light on him? Is he not -- in fact -- a figure that one might even consider the fifth member of the band, when you really think about it?

• Like 2

I know that it's been said, but I feel the need to also say that drugs aren't necessary to enjoy Phish. Tastes are tastes, and some people aren't going to like them. But to continually make it sound like you have to be all fucked up to enjoy their music is insulting to the band and it's fans. I enjoyed the episode, but I wish it focused on something more than whether or not Scott got high. He was so preoccupied with getting altered, he seemed to be paying no attention to Phish walking a musical tightrope all night. As a performer, musician and someone who enjoys improv, there's so much for him to appreciate in a live show, yet he was trying to figure out whether his Molly was bunk... Jesus Christ. I'm glad he was able to get beyond the stereotype that all Phish fans are douchebags, but unfortunately it's coupled with the stereotype that all Phish fans are burnouts.

I've been to 40 shows-ish, mostly just a few beers and/or a little weed, sometimes completely sober and no matter what, those individual moments where the music peaks are like nothing you experience anywhere else. It's ashame Scott hasn't been able to focus on one yet.

Yeah. You guys honestly messed up by focusing on the drug use. You are just fueling stereotypes. Isn't the goal trying to get him and the audience to like Phish, than quit it with the stereotypes.

I really see no reason for this show to continue other than the joy of hearing the hosts (which is pretty much why I listen to any podcast). It's clear to me that if Scott enjoyed the show but still doesn't like the band there is nowhere to go from here. "Chasing the perfect show" sounds like what every drug addict has been doing since their first taste. Guess what? They never catch it.

Have you guys ever seen UB40 live? A lot of people consider their lighting guy to be 'the 28th member' of UB40...

Will someone tell Harris to ease up on the Xanax and booze! we cant afford to lose another diva.

I didn't know where else to post this, and I doubt anyone will see it, but BIG Analyze Phish shout out in the NYT today!

"Perhaps he’s better off doing his own thing. His most audacious work of comedy — and cultural criticism — has been a series of four podcasts called “Analyze Phish.” In the show Harris Wittels, a writer for the NBC sitcom “Parks and Recreation” and a devoted fan of the jam band Phish, tries to convince Mr. Aukerman to share the passion.

Explaining the setup during the second episode, Mr. Aukerman said: “I thought it was ridiculous that a grown man, an educated man — by all accounts who went to Harvard — would enjoy the band Phish, and I thought it was so weird, and so we thought of this idea to do this show where you play me Phish songs and try to get me to like it. And I’m coming in with an open heart and open mind.”

Mr. Wittels — who actually attended Emerson College — pointed out that Mr. Aukerman’s heart wasn’t that open: “Not really anymore. You really hate them more than anybody, ever.”

The series culminated with Mr. Aukerman and Mr. Wittels attending a Phish show at Madison Square Garden. But even under the influence of various mood enhancers Mr. Aukerman could not embrace the band.

“I think I owe you an apology,” Mr. Wittels says during one episode, “I feel like I did you a disservice.”

“Fantastic!” Mr. Aukerman replies. “I feel that I’m owed one.”

Huzzah !

• Like 1

It's probably pointless to bump this but if you haven't heard these, you've really got to give them a shot. I just re-listened to the whole saga on a road trip and was so completely engrossed, even more than the first time. Between this and the CBB episodes where U2 comes up, I would love to listen to Scott discuss music on a regular basis. I'm going to go try to get into Prince and the Talking Heads in hopes that it'll somehow result in Scott realizing that Zappa has at least 4 top tier songs.

Sign in to follow this