🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JammerLea

Wish Upon (2017)

Wish Upon is only what I can describe as a horror movie for tweens written by someone who's not in tune with teenagers. It's about a teen girl who receives a magic box that grants wishes, but each time it does, someone she knows dies! It is pedictable, the box's rules make no sense, her wishes are ridiculous, the deaths are crazy, and there are pop song music montages. I laughed. So. Damn. Hard. I wanted to cry.

Seriously please consider this film, it is absolutely amazing and feels perfect for HDTGM.

• Like 1

I remember seeing this on Prime and felt it was very mediocre. It had some interesting death scenes but even in the end it was ho-hum through and through.

• Like 1

I'd just like to offer this gem observation : spoiler for the first 5 minutes...

....It starts with the main character as a child. She rides up to her house on a bike, dumps the bike on the lawn, then enters the house and witnesses her mother hanging herself. We then see the title announce "Ten years later" and the bike is still in the exact same spot on the lawn.

Oooo! Oooo! Wait I've got one more. This one is more of a spoiler, and is just yet another example of how the protagonist is the worst person ever.

By over the halfway mark, she has to know for sure that bad things happen to people she knows whenever she makes a wish. Does she do the right thing and stop making wishes? Is she forced into making a wish for something really important? Nope! She makes "I wish my dad was cool" because she's embarrassed by him being addicted to dumpster diving (even though they're millionaires now). Cut to her and her girlfriends gazing dreamily at her dad (who looks just 10 years older than her) playing smooth jazz with his band in their living room. Her friend's cousin then dies horribly as the price to pay for cool jazz dad.

Best final scene in a horror too.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 1:46 PM, DeathToMikeyBay said:

....It starts with the main character as a child. She rides up to her house on a bike, dumps the bike on the lawn, then enters the house and witnesses her mother hanging herself. We then see the title announce "Ten years later" and the bike is still in the exact same spot on the lawn.

It's not even like the lawn is really overgrown, so someone would have had to pick up the bike every time the lawn was mowed and then put it back in the exact same spot. Like no one gave it any thought at all lol

I just watched the extended cut on Amazon last night and wow. The deaths are rediculous and I wanted the main character to die the whole movie. I was disappointed they killed someone with an elevator falling scene (which cannot happen in this day and age), but she didn't fly up to the ceiling on her decent down... 

Yes this is a great hdtgm candidate. 

Sign in to follow this