🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 60 True Stories

13 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

OMG! I was going to buy it, but I just realized there are two different versions! One is David Byrne singing all the songs and one is the more complete version (it looks like that’s the one you got). Now I’m conflicted! Like, I kind of prefer “Puzzlin’ Evidence” and “People Like Us” with just The Talking Heads, but I want all that other stuff too. Decisions, decisions...

I listened to both and decided the soundtrack from the movie was for me. I needed Dream Operator sung by Annie McEnroe (and with more pedal steel guitar!) and Road Song.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

So, I watched this earlier today, but I'm really not sure how to rate it.  It felt like a bunch of music videos loosely tied together sometimes.  However, I'm glad I watched it and was introduced to the soundtrack.  I bought it already and I think I'll be listening to it more often than revisit the movie itself.  Like I wasn't feeling the beginning when David Byrne goes into the history of the world, but the background music was fantastic.  It has this flute hook - and I'm a sucker for a good flute hook - and then wind instruments get added on like the clarinet/bass clarinet and basoon and oboe.  And towards the end when there are more notes, you can hear the keys of the instruments.  I love that they left that in there.  

My favorite song was Dream Operator.  It's a lovely 3/4 time and the singer's voice is so sweet with a hint of raspy.  I love the lyrics from t-to-b, and i love the bit where she goes "shake-it-up dream, hi-di-ho dream."

I also like the last song City of Dreams.  It reminds me of Shallow so much!  Sometimes I'll sing sha-ha-sha-ha-shallow over it.

Yes. All the little interstitial and background music is very lovely. Again all David Byrne. 

For me this is a movie that works well on repeat viewings. Once I saw it the first time I kinda got the feel and tone and knew what to expect and the second time could notice little things that I missed or small lines that are great that I missed the first time. However, I was feeling it the first time I watched it, so if you weren't I don't suspect repeat viewings would improve much.

• Like 3

Omg the flute hook in Road Song reminds me of the intro to Mr Sandman but in a minor key lol. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tomspanks said:

So, I watched this earlier today, but I'm really not sure how to rate it.  It felt like a bunch of music videos loosely tied together sometimes.  However, I'm glad I watched it and was introduced to the soundtrack.  I bought it already and I think I'll be listening to it more often than revisit the movie itself.  Like I wasn't feeling the beginning when David Byrne goes into the history of the world, but the background music was fantastic.  It has this flute hook - and I'm a sucker for a good flute hook - and then wind instruments get added on like the clarinet/bass clarinet and basoon and oboe.  And towards the end when there are more notes, you can hear the keys of the instruments.  I love that they left that in there.  

My favorite song was Dream Operator.  It's a lovely 3/4 time and the singer's voice is so sweet with a hint of raspy.  I love the lyrics from t-to-b, and i love the bit where she goes "shake-it-up dream, hi-di-ho dream."

I also like the last song City of Dreams.  It reminds me of Shallow so much!  Sometimes I'll sing sha-ha-sha-ha-shallow over it.

I was totally taken with Annie and "Dream Operator".  I'm disappointed she disappeared after the dinner.  Spalding came back but I don't remember her or the kids coming back.  I did laugh at them not talking to each other directly.  I liked how The Narrator emphasized that.  Something like "They haven't talked to each other in years." then realizing what that implies, adding "Not directly anyway."

I started watching the movie at 9:30 p.m. and it was so slow at the beginning I wound up turning it off during Spalding's dinner-table sermon. I picked it back up from the beginning the next day and am glad I did.  I went ahead and bought the movie because I am sure I will watch it again.  It's one you can put on and "listen" to while doing other things and you kind of watch the movie in your mind.  Dream Operator is still my favorite song with Wild, Wild Life second.  I didn't even get that it was John Goodman until he got up on stage.

Also, were all the songs previously written and used here or were they written for this movie?  I saw Wild Wild Life on Youtube as an official video and it was just the movie without the DJ's intro.  In the credits every song seemed to be listed as a video so I got confused (easily done, but still).

• Like 4

Wild Wild Life video (I didn't recognize Sam KInison either until I read the IMDB trivia).  Also, is it David Byrne at 0:50?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Yes. All the little interstitial and background music is very lovely. Again all David Byrne. 

For me this is a movie that works well on repeat viewings. Once I saw it the first time I kinda got the feel and tone and knew what to expect and the second time could notice little things that I missed or small lines that are great that I missed the first time. However, I was feeling it the first time I watched it, so if you weren't I don't suspect repeat viewings would improve much.

I probably won't revisit this movie, but don't get me wrong, while I wasn't entertained by it, I still appreciate it on an...artistic level?  I didn't know anything about David Byrne before this, but what the movie has taught me is that David Byrne is a fucking weirdo and we need those people like that making movies.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Like, I kind of prefer “Puzzlin’ Evidence” and “People Like Us” with just The Talking Heads, but I want all that other stuff too. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Also, were all the songs previously written and used here or were they written for this movie? 

For the film!

Byrne has said he got the Talking Heads to indulge in his new songs for his movie

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

I still have "Wild Wild Life" stuck in my head and I am NOT sad about it.

tumblr_nq5kj8dGoR1tsfx8ro1_400.gif

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Wild Wild Life video (I didn't recognize Sam KInison either until I read the IMDB trivia).  Also, is it David Byrne at 0:50?

David Byrne in this looks like Esteban Colberto

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

David Byrne in this looks like Esteban Colberto

After I posted I thought maybe that was John Goodman's friend Ramon but I am pretty sure Ramon shows up later.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:11 AM, AlmostAGhost said:

For the film!

Byrne has said he got the Talking Heads to indulge in his new songs for his movie

I really thought it was the other way around, going into this. Either way, what fun! Probably my favorite musical. 

• Like 3

Well this is interesting.  Last week I rented the movie on Vudu because it didn't seem to be available anywhere else I could easily access.  I bought it on Vudu and viola, thanks to the magic of license sharing, I now can access the movie on Amazon and Movies Anywhere as well!  This is cool!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Did anyone else wonder how long the marriage would last?  

It will last, like, fornever.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

It will last, like, fornever.

Louis looked like the happiest panda though 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Did anyone else wonder how long the marriage would last?  

They don't really seem to have that much in common. Louis seems like a very active panda and now he's married to a woman that doesn't leave her bed? How will he dance? Will he soon learn there is more to life than just matrimony? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

They don't really seem to have that much in common. Louis seems like a very active panda and now he's married to a woman that doesn't leave her bed? How will he dance? Will he soon learn there is more to life than just matrimony? 

I was wondering what attracted them to each other since their first meeting went SO well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I was wondering what attracted them to each other since their first meeting went SO well.

Well we see the priest guy visiting her before she sees Louis performing. Wonder if he had anything to do with it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I thought she was attracted to his musical performance on tv?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Well we see the priest guy visiting her before she sees Louis performing. Wonder if he had anything to do with it.

Well spotted! I forgot about his visit to the voodoo priest.

• Like 1

Also, I should point as another case of interesting trivia the band Radiohead did indeed get their name from the song in True Stories.

• Like 3