đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 208 - Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance LIVE! (w/ Casey Wilson)

Casey Wilson (Black Monday, Bitch Sesh) joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss the 2018 Lifetime original movie Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about the lion, Africa, the Queen watching Netflix, and the moments that made everyone cry.

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Does anyone know how directe any of this was? As someone who doesn't follow the royal family or Harry or Meghan, a lot of this was surprising to me (for example, I didn't know Meghan was an actress or biracial). I assume all the private conversations are made up but I assume gossip columns covered all their public stuff right?

The part about Kate Middleton saying they can't have opinions is, I believe, based in truth. The royal family isn't supposed to publicly express opinions on governmental matters. I think it works similarly to the US and how Ruth Bader Ginsburg commented on Trump becoming president. It's not illegal but it's a very big break in traditional decorum.

36 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I assume all the private conversations are made up but I assume gossip columns covered all their public stuff right?

I was googling this, kind of like Paul said he did -- also immediately after the frog costume scene. Like he said, stuff like that is just a rumor.  There's rumors that he spent Halloween with her in Toronto, and it sort of seems sourced but it's always written up in weird gossipy type articles. 

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2016/11/01/prince-harry-meghan-markle-spotted-together-at-toronto-halloween-party.html

I think that's the main "reporting" about it.  Also there's a quick bio about Markle that may be sourcing a lot of things in this (though it also appears to be a bit gossipy tbh)

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2016/11/01/prince-harry-meghan-markle-spotted-together-at-toronto-halloween-party.html

• Like 1

I only just started listening but I have a correction, wasn’t LIZ AND DICK a Lifetime movie?

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Wow they really just can't let sleeping dogs lie, can they?

They've been pulling this shit on Meghan since they got engaged and it's so fucking obvious they just want their time in the spotlight and will do anything for it. Meghan has no real relationship with these people and anything beyond that is on them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Wow they really just can't let sleeping dogs lie, can they?

They've been pulling this shit on Meghan since they got engaged and it's so fucking obvious they just want their time in the spotlight and will do anything for it. Meghan has no real relationship with these people and anything beyond that is on them.

Yea really. I mean I knew the basics of like who Meghan and Harry are, but even in this very very cursory Google searching I've done, everything around the Royal Family is just crazy.  I might now watch The Crown haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea really. I mean I knew the basics of like who Meghan and Harry are, but even in this very very cursory Google searching I've done, everything around the Royal Family is just crazy.  I might now watch The Crown haha

Oh I looove The Crown. Definitely will paint a new light on Prince Philip for you that's for sure lol. I'm not sure how much is true in that series either, because right before I had started watching that I watched this doc special for the Queen's 90th birthday and it definitely didn't paint Prince Philip to be such a douchebag in his younger days as the show did, but there's also no way in hell I could see The Crown putting something on screen without Elizabeth's approval.

• Like 1

hey Paul how about this movie at some point -- same subtitle and everything

912NoqdskDL._RI_.jpg

23 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

912NoqdskDL._RI_.jpg

Please, no

• Like 2

About Queen Charlotte. She was the wife of George III (of madness fame). She is believed to have had African ancestry, and people commented on her "negroid" features when she was Queen. In the clip, the queen says only one painter, Ramsay, showed her "real" features. That's not true. The painter they mean is Allan Ramsay and he was an abolitionist. He actually accentuated Charlotte's so-called "negroid" features as a way to promote Abolition. It was a form of propaganda since the portraits were sent around to all the colonies. Here is some more on the significance of her paintings from PBS. But the scene where the Queen talks about her with Meghan is odd. It might be a nice gesture to say "hey, we all come from Africa" or something like that. But it's not like the Queen knows what it is like to be an African American person. (I'd argue she doesn't even know what it's like to be a person period since her life is so unlike anyone else's.) Nor would she and Harry be considered "mixed race". Charlotte was six generations ago from the Queen, eight for Harry (assuming his dad was Charles haha!). And it was several more generations removed from Queen Charlotte. At a certain point, like, come on.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/secret/famous/royalfamily.html

• Like 3

My wife is loyal to Lifetime movies.  Watches them all the time.  She said this one was too bad.  Did not recommend.

Also, a sequel is coming.

Will there be lions?

June asked for dish of the Queen's Hubby Philip. Oh boy. Prince Philip is infamous in Britain for his 'blunt' often racist gaffes of which there are many. While touring a school, he once looked into a circuit box and said it looked like 'a bloody Indian put it in. He also joked that a bunch of British students in China would 'get slitty eyes' is they stayed too long. His history is amazing too. His Dad was King of Greece but got deposed, leaving Philip more ore less penniless and bouncing from one rich relative to another. His parents divorced basically because his mum was deaf and no-one bothered to learn sign language, she later became a nun. While staying in Venice as a teen, he owned his own gondola and would regularly row young ladies back home after p[arties and take the chance to get off with them. 

The latest story regarding him happen a month ago when he drove his Range Rover into another car outside their country estate and injured the driver and her child. 

• Like 4

Also if being a ginger in Britain is so bad then how come Ginger Spice was considered hot and Doctor Who always wants to be ginger when he regenerates?

• Like 1

And to think, just a few years ago, the princess was just a bit player in a cable show about fantasy football...

meghan-markle-the-league.jpg

• Like 1

I’m all for Jason stepping back to let June be savage to the crowd for at least a few more shows.

• Like 1

They bring up that the movie should have showed the wedding but this movie came out a week before their wedding.

Their engagement was announced in November 2017. That means this movie, from conception to release, was done in under five and a half months. I don't know a lot about how long a typical Lifetime movie production but that's very fast for a regular movie. It doesn't excuse the movie's faults, but it does explain most of them.

• Like 1

I have three notes I want to make. Firstly, twice in the film they get Harry's title wrong. He is referred to as the Prince of England but his actual title was Prince of Wales until his marriage when he was made Duke of Sussex. My guess he is that they called him the Prince of England because they expected American audiences to be familiar with England but maybe unfamiliar with Wales as a country.

Secondly, Harry is about 10 generations removed from Queen Charlotte which makes him about as mixed race as Senator Warren is Native American as according to her DNA test whose native American ancestry was about 6-10 generations previous. 

Finally, when her hairdressers niece asks Meghan if she will become a Princess she says yes which is technically true, but is much more complicated than she lets on. This is because Meghan isn't a Princess in her own name as she isn't from a royal lineage. She is technically Princess Henry of Wales as she became a Princess through her marriage. The same is true of Kate Middleton who gained the title through her marriage to William and was true of Diana who was never officially Princess Diana but to make things more complicated did hold the title of Princess of Wales. Lady Di was often called Princess Diana but that was never her actual title. In practice Meghan uses the title Duchess of Sussex as that's a title she holds in her own name but she wasn't granted that title until her marriage to Prince Harry. However all of that may have been too complicated to explain to the small child so I guess a simple "I am" saved her explaining the weird titles system of the British monarchy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I only just started listening but I have a correction, wasn’t LIZ AND DICK a Lifetime movie?

I was coming here to say the same thing once I checked to see that that horror show of a film was indeed made by Lifetime. Also, they are already working on a sequel to this film which will cover the first year of the couple's marriage,  basically as it's happening, with a completely new cast. I have a feeling Lifetime contacted the Royal family asking if they could create a reality show based on the couple and got shot down, so they just said "fuck it, we'll just make educated guess movies about them every year until they say yes."

Also with how shoddy this movie is with facts, I would have loved when the Queen was showing the portrait of the ancestor who showed the family was biracial as well, and this was the portrait:

pam-grier-1975-2000.jpg

• Like 2

I enjoyed the “prequel,” the Princess Diana musical: 

(the entire musical is on YouTube, but I’m linking this shorter one for everyone’s sanity. If you enjoy the clip, you will enjoy the whole thing as it doesn’t stop delivering)

Loved the episode and everything you do! A tiny correction. Jason said that the actor playing Meghan fell in love with the crown prince of Finland. Unlike many other Nordic countries Finland is actually not a monarchy. We do have a president with a cool dog Lennu!

0BDF2488-25B6-415E-AC5D-0DB7A7009BC6.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/1/2019 at 9:46 AM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

THANK YOU! this was bothering me the whole time

On 3/1/2019 at 10:45 AM, AlmostAGhost said:

912NoqdskDL._RI_.jpg

that's not Victor Garber at the bottom in the red is it?

9 hours ago, EvRobert said:

that's not Victor Garber at the bottom in the red is it?

It sure looks like it, and maybe Jean Smart to his right? If either is true I am watching that shit.

Edited by theworstbuddhist
​​​​Yes it is both, and I guess the great veteran actress Jane Alexander ha some bills to pay too, because she is playing the Queen
  • Like 1