🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 209 - The Snowman: LIVE! (w/ Erin Gibson, Bryan Safi)

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

It's really just boring. And people can cover it up with saying other people involved were annoying or yelling too, but they always ALWAYS mention the woman first and then act like they're okay because then they mention the gay man or Jason as well. It's BORING feedback that you should all know Paul doesn't give a shit about to begin with

It's especially noticeable to those of us who are here most often. We see the pattern of people who either dust off or create an account just to complain about a guest, and more often than not, those guests tend to be women.

What annoys me about it further is whether the person they are complaining about is a woman or man, gay or straight, or even if the complaint is completely justified, there's nothing constructive about it. The episode has been birthed. It's out there in the world and there's nothing anyone can do about it except...not listen. I know people like to think that their opinion is going to matter, but I seriously doubt Paul does pre-show huddles backstage at Largo with Jason, June, and the guests and is like, "Okay, we got some complaints from first time poster AssDisaster39 on the forums about yelling into the mics. So let's try to keep the energy low tonight for the live audience. Also, I printed out the plot synopsis from Wikipedia, so let's try to keep on topic and take it beat for beat . You know structured: the essence of improv."

My point is, no one needs the negativity. You don't have to love every episode or every guest. But unless your complaint is valid, and not just grousing, and you have a workable solution that might actually help the show, keep it to yourself. No one on the show or at Earwolf is taking you seriously - at all. Constructive criticsm isn't, "My ears were bleeding!" Constructive criticism sounds more like "I think the levels were off during the episode. It might be an issue with the sound needing to be properly Normalized, Compressed, and the the loudness matched." This is a polite, workable complaint that doesn't mention anyone by name and could maybe even be corrected.

Anyway, if you truly have a problem, your best bet is to not listen. If HDTGM notices a steep drop in downloads for Live episodes, I'm sure they'll look into the problem and correct it if they feel it's necessary. However, I don't think there's quite the numbers to justify that quite yet.  I think the episode, or the first half I've listened to anyway, has been great! :)      

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

In all fairness Elektra was the one that mentioned noticing the sexuality of all those getting so much hate. I noticed it always ends up being the women, because I can recall even with straight (or straight presenting) female guests get told by new forum users that they suck and shouldn't be invited back (Anna Faris, Natasha Leggero, Karen Kilgarrif), but Elektra is right the truly vile things said were directed towards both Cameron Esposito and Tig Notaro and it's very interesting what those two women have in common.

It's really just boring. And people can cover it up with saying other people involved were annoying or yelling too, but they always ALWAYS mention the woman first and then act like they're okay because then they mention the gay man or Jason as well. It's BORING feedback that you should all know Paul doesn't give a shit about to begin with.

h2A8E8F69

Because I'm the one who mentioned not enjoying all three loud voices, I feel like this comment was at least somewhat directed at me.  Did I "mention the woman first"?  Yes, I did, because I was replying to someone who specifically mentioned Erin and only Erin.  That's the only reason I mentioned her first.  She was no more annoying than the other two.  I added Bryan and Jason, because they were all bothering me from the beginning.  I love Jason almost to a fault, and I really didn't enjoy him this episode.  The only thing that could've made this episode louder would be Pete Holmes.

I guess I'm not on here enough to see the hate for Cameron and Tig.  They are two of my favorite guests on any podcast, and that's really disappointing to me.

9 minutes ago, IRONicmerMAN said:

Because I'm the one who mentioned not enjoying all three loud voices, I feel like this comment was at least somewhat directed at me.  Did I "mention the woman first"?  Yes, I did, because I was replying to someone who specifically mentioned Erin and only Erin.  That's the only reason I mentioned her first.  She was no more annoying than the other two.  I added Bryan and Jason, because they were all bothering me from the beginning.  I love Jason almost to a fault, and I really didn't enjoy him this episode.  The only thing that could've made this episode louder would be Pete Holmes.

I guess I'm not on here enough to see the hate for Cameron and Tig.  They are two of my favorite guests on any podcast, and that's really disappointing to me.

It was only somewhat directed towards you, because you directly responded to me the first time trying to distance yourself from the hate that had been directed towards Erin, rather than owning up to the fact that you replied to the comment that directly pointed out Erin and agreed with that person, only to seemingly cover yourself by naming two others as if that makes it okay. But then other people came in and named Erin and then Bryan and it started this trend.

And the point that I'm still trying to make is that no matter what, like Cameron said, it's not a constructive comment. It's boring and takes away from the enjoyment a lot of us get from these forums.

But yeah a lot of us are veterans here, and when I say that these comments are starting to get boring, it's not just because 4/5 of the first comments were about Erin's loudness, it's because we've seen this so much when a woman is a guest and especially on a live show. Anna Faris is the only female guest I've seen get hate from an in studio episode and every other one is a live show. So it's a huge pattern that is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, taylorannephoto said:

It was only somewhat directed towards you, because you directly responded to me the first time trying to distance yourself from the hate that had been directed towards Erin, rather than owning up to the fact that you replied to the comment that directly pointed out Erin and agreed with that person, only to seemingly cover yourself by naming two others as if that makes it okay. But then other people came in and named Erin and then Bryan and it started this trend.

And the point that I'm still trying to make is that no matter what, like Cameron said, it's not a constructive comment. It's boring and takes away from the enjoyment a lot of us get from these forums.

Well, based on the feedback I've seen from posting an opinion on the episode that didn't go over well, my infrequent enjoyment of this forum went to zero.  I thought it was a pretty welcoming place previously.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IRONicmerMAN said:

Well, based on the feedback I've seen from posting an opinion on the episode that didn't go over well, my infrequent enjoyment of this forum went to zero.  I thought it was a pretty welcoming place previously.

LMAO

You're opinion was "They're too loud."

We pointed out how there is a trend in sexism within comments.

You got offended and want us to be nicer.

tenor.gif

Wow.  Very original gif signoff.

I never expected people here to act like like they're on Reddit.  C'est la vie.

Try to get out more.

23 minutes ago, IRONicmerMAN said:

Wow.  Very original gif signoff.

I never expected people here to act like like they're on Reddit.  C'est la vie.

Try to get out more.

X0WJ.gif

1 hour ago, IRONicmerMAN said:

I love Jason almost to a fault, and I really didn't enjoy him this episode.

Do I love every single episode of every podcast? No. Who does? Every time some podcast slightly drifts from your personal taste (for ONE EP!), do you go somewhere and express your disappointment and how the hosts should fix it so your distaste never happens again, with a caveat about how big a fan you are?  And you blame us for being Reddit-like?  Not only does nobody care, that's not what this forum is for. Didn't the Earwolf boards close for a little while at one point because of stuff like this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IRONicmerMAN said:

I thought it was a pretty welcoming place previously.

I think we are generally. And not in the sense that we are all lock step with one another and push out dissenters. We all disagree from time to time - sometimes passionately - but it's usually about a specific point in a movie or something that was said. Taylor and I have gotten into it ourselves once or twice. ;) The thing is, we know and trust each other and we always try to be thoughtful with what we say.  

There is a pattern of behavior of people who come in here rarely, or create an account expressly for, criticizing female guests. Not just here, but on other podcasts as well. (I Think CBB had an issue the last time Tig was on). I've been posting here for almost five years, and I don't know that I've ever seen a person create an account to complain about a male guest. Does that mean all criticism  of a female guest is inherently sexist? No. But it doesn't change the fact the pattern does exist. Taylor was only pointing out, in her own inimitable way, that out of the first 8 posts, five were critical of Erin. Only yours pointed out Brian and Jason as well. She wrote one post, and over on Redditt, the forums were already being accused  "policing" criticism of Erin.  One post out of 9 was enough to accuse us of being fascist. 

All Taylor was trying to say, if she doesn't mind me maybe putting words in her mouth, is "We've seen this before and could we maybe not do it this time?" If someone posts that they don't like a guest, fine, "like" that post and move on. Your voice has been heard and recorded. There's no need to dog pile with multiple posts that essentially say the same thing. We get it. You've made your opinion known, but please, let's not bog down the thread with negativity for negativity's sake when, normally, this is really such a positive place. That's what most of us did with Taylor's post. We liked it, but didn't comment further. (Of course it's been brought up again since then, but the point stands.)

So for my part, I welcome everyone. We don't always have to agree. I love our dumb little debates. We can be respectful to each other, to our hosts, to their guests, and to Earwolf. Paul has always been extremely helpful with constructive criticism. He does read the forums (sometimes), and if he feels like it's something worth addressing, he will. He's always been super cool about that. I just say we should try to be just as cool back. Complaining about a guest doesn't really add to the conversation. Like, I haven't necessarily liked 100% of the guests on the show, but I've never once felt compelled to come here and complain about any of them. They're real people with feelings who may come on here to read how the fans responded to the show. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Why do that? I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's bad day.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

She wrote one post, and over on Redditt, the forums were already being accused  "policing" criticism of Erin.  One post out of 9 was enough to accuse us of being fascist.

Oh this is hilarious to me. I love calling a trend boring and then getting called a fascist. I also love being told I'm "Reddit" and apparently they hate me over there lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's especially noticeable to those of us who are here most often. We see the pattern of people who either dust off or create an account just to complain about a guest, and more often than not, those guests tend to be women.

I will admit to being 100% done with complaints about yelling since "Can't Stop the Music" dropped and everyone said Cameron Esposito was awful but Pete Holmes was fine. (Check out that thread. It was wild.)

I have definitely heard Jason describe HDTGM as "people yelling about bad movies" so I don't really understand why people are shocked. I know sometimes the volume or levels or whatever on the live eps are off. This is why some people say they prefer the in studio episodes. But my only real "solution" to the problem is a) don't listen or b) adjust your volume.

I agree with Cameron H that it's not really constructive. It's also not really a correction or omission which, in theory, is that the boards are for. (Except we go off topic all the time.) I do agree with the criticism that they didn't go into the plot of the movie , which they usually do. I'm still not really sure who the killer is. But it sounds like they were so confused that it was a special circumstance.

ETA: Also, we all know Taylor Anne is here to burn the fucking place down, not to make friends.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

ETA: Also, we all know Taylor Anne is here to burn the fucking place down, not to make friends.  

e5b8cc85c12a_661A24CE-E389-4275-8100-723

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 11:41 PM, Kothel said:

Okay, I listened to the rest of the episode and have a few more corrections, omissions or additions

Lots of interesting info here, thank you. I think I am rapidly approaching the tipping point where I start reading these books while I wait for the next Jack Reacher and Rebus novels. (Those are separate novels, just to be clear. The two characters are sadly not in any novels together as far as I know.)

Edited to add: now I am writing some kind of Reacher-Rebus crossover. Tentative title: The Reacher-Rebus Reacharound. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

As a Jason fan, I was very upset that he implied that Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) was a George Harrison number. As that song rips off Bob Dylan and not the Chiffons, it is clearly a John Lennon piece. 

Having not read any of the previous replies, I'm going to assume that all three pages of this topic are about this travesty.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ML Kennedy said:

As a Jason fan, I was very upset that he implied that Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) was a George Harrison number. As that song rips off Bob Dylan and not the Chiffons, it is clearly a John Lennon piece. 

I HAVE to finish this episode now. This is a travesty!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ML Kennedy said:

Having not read any of the previous replies, I'm going to assume that all three pages of this topic are about this travesty.

Interestingly Bob Dylan's "Fourth Time Around" (a year later) is in turn said to be a response to Lennon's "Norwegian Wood"

31 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Interestingly Bob Dylan's "Fourth Time Around" (a year later) is in turn said to be a response to Lennon's "Norwegian Wood"

It's probably true. The song ends with "I never asked for your crutch, now don't ask for mine."

I did not find this episode any louder than the usual live episode and remain baffled that the first comments are about that.

As for the movie: aside from the confusing plot and character motivations, I was also constantly disoriented by how the camera just kept drifting aimlessly around the actors, even in scenes where they're just delivering exposition at each other. It was like Alfredson decided he wanted to try directing a CSI episode or something. Why is the camera always moving?!

• Like 2

Wouldn’t the police simply ask neighbors if they had seen anything unusual? And someone might say “ Come  to think of it there was a 45-year-old man outside making a snowman at 2 o’clock in the morning.”

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TomPretty said:

Wouldn’t the police simply ask neighbors if they had seen anything unusual? And someone might say “ Come  to think of it there was a 45-year-old man outside making a snowman at 2 o’clock in the morning.”

I think that's just normal behavior in Norway.

I've been a lurker here for awhile, not sure If i ever posted before this.
I loved this episode, I thought Erin's voice was just fine. I thought she was really funny with her excitement.
There wasn't any more yelling that I heard from most episodes. Maybe there was some more crosstalk then usual.

Still havent watched the movie yet but this ep makes me  want to watch it.

I really can't believe there are people who will complain about a podcast because they don't like woman, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised should I?

It's so simple if you aren't entertained by the show don't listen to it.

• Like 1

I'm a little late on this comment I know but I just need to let as many people as possible know that there is a mash up of Popcorn and Let the Bodies Hit the Floor. Not taking credit, just wanted everyone to know. Floor Corn

So... does the message thread get re-released along with the episode? 

Altho, I'm not sure after looking at some of the comments :) 

King Herod having all the children under 2 killed was not Passover.  Passover refers to the leaving of Egypt in the Biblical book of Exodus.  King Herod killing children under 2 took place hundreds of years after Passover.