🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 210 - Van Helsing: LIVE! (w/ Seth Rogen, Riki Lindhome, Ben Blacker)

Seth Rogen (Long Shot), Riki Lindhome (Another Period, Garfunkel and Oates), and Ben Blacker (Thrilling Adventure Hour, Hex Wives)  join Paul and Jason to discuss the 2004 period horror film Van Helsing. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about Hugh Jackman’s wet pilgrim hat, Frankenstein’s tech, everyone being upside down, Carl the friar, and much more.

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

Honestly, I would love a new mummy movie, but a straight-up horror movie. No action heroes, no quips, no shared universes. I love proper monsters and folklore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seth Rogen is always such a great addition to the show. It's like having two Jasons. Love when he's on.

Is the world ready for two Jasons?

There is one other connection to Wolverine in this movie that they didn't mention.  Kate Beckinsale's character was obviously some kind of early Weapon X prototype with an adamantium skeleton.  I lost count of how many high speed impacts she suffered that would have killed or at least crippled any normal person.  For her they maybe caused a wince and then she was right back in action.

• Like 1

I'm about to listen to the episode but I have to say what I said in the recommendation thread way back when.

This movie was so bad it ruined a date for me at 14 and I'll never forgive it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I'm about to listen to the episode but I have to say what I said in the recommendation thread way back when.

I had a similar experience with the Dick Tracy movie in 1990

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

1 hour ago, EvRobert said:

I had a similar experience with the Dick Tracy movie in 1990

Mine was with the 'newer' King Kong movie (2005). Only it was just a bad date so instead of sitting there for a normal length movie...i had to endure it for 3 hours and 10 mins. Not that it was a bad movie. Wait, just kidding. It was an awful movie and it was 3 hours and 10 mins. Not to mention for whatever reason we had the very first row seats; so 3 hours of neck cramps and bad date.

• Like 1

Poor Ben Blacker was steamrolled in this.. did he say 10 words

I miss when June isn't there; Jason becomes so extra .. extra!

This movie seems pieced together from other concepts of monster hunting characters.  Mr. Hyde is clearly a rip off from  The league of extraordinary gentlemen, and Van Helsing’s hat Seems like a rip off of Solomon Kane. Also is there any connection to this van Helsing and the character from Dracula? 

I remember when this movie came out and I thought it was going to be like a Dracula prequel or something.

57B009E0-7193-4624-8B00-7C6AAD5F8DBA.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Mister Card said:

This movie seems pieced together from other concepts of monster hunting characters.  Mr. Hyde is clearly a rip off from  The league of extraordinary gentlemen, and Van Helsing’s hat Seems like a rip off of Solomon Kane. Also is there any connection to this van Helsing and the character from Dracula? 

I remember when this movie came out and I thought it was going to be like a Dracula prequel or something.

57B009E0-7193-4624-8B00-7C6AAD5F8DBA.jpeg

Solomon Kane now THERE'S a movie that needs the HDTGM treatment

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

Solomon Kane now THERE'S a movie that needs the HDTGM treatment

As weird as this is going to sound I actually kind of like that movie. However something about it doesn’t quite come together. So yeah I would actually like to see them take on this movie

22 minutes ago, Mister Card said:

As weird as this is going to sound I actually kind of like that movie. However something about it doesn’t quite come together. So yeah I would actually like to see them take on this movie

Yeah I remember liking it at the time I saw it (2009, 10) but it doesn't QUITE work

• Thanks 1

Picture young Electra, who watched the 1990s X-Men cartoon see Hugh Jackman in his cage fighting scene in the live action X-Men. It was a big moment for me. Life changing.  I went out and watched his other movies. There were like two Australian films he had been in. Then he was cast in this Ashley Judd rom-com and rhen Kate and Leopold which is strange. I even watched Swordfish. But when this movie came out... I couldn’t. I still can’t. Never seen it. Won’t see it. 

Will watch the cage fight from X-Men over and over again instead. (On YouTube is Bryan Singer gets no money for it.)

As a book nerd, I recently reread Dracula. I can tell you that Van Helsing’s given name is neither Gabriel nor Pam. It is Abraham and he is Dutch. I sort of like the idea of what kind of monsters he hunted when he was younger, before the events of Dracula (where he is supposed to be old). But this deviates so much from the source material that it can’t even be followed. Maybe we need a reboot. I think Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could do it. He’s Dutch, right? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Picture young Electra, who watched the 1990s X-Men cartoon see Hugh Jackman in his cage fighting scene in the live action X-Men. It was a big moment for me. Life changing.  I went out and watched his other movies. There were like two Australian films he had been in. Then he was cast in this Ashley Judd rom-com and rhen Kate and Leopold which is strange. I even watched Swordfish. But when this movie came out... I couldn’t. I still can’t. Never seen it. Won’t see it. 

Will watch the cage fight from X-Men over and over again instead. (On YouTube is Bryan Singer gets no money for it.)

As a book nerd, I recently reread Dracula. I can tell you that Van Helsing’s given name is neither Gabriel nor Pam. It is Abraham and he is Dutch. I sort of like the idea of what kind of monsters he hunted when he was younger, before the events of Dracula (where he is supposed to be old). But this deviates so much from the source material that it can’t even be followed. Maybe we need a reboot. I think Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could do it. He’s Dutch, right? 

If Gods of Egypt taught me anything it is that yes, he is Dutch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

If Gods of Egypt taught me anything it is that yes, he is Dutch

Danish. Cause Gods of Egypt taught me the same thing lololol.

Also because I'm finally getting it straight that Denmark = Danish and Netherlands = Dutch lol.

• Like 1

Just now, taylorannephoto said:

Also because I'm finally getting it straight that Denmark = Danish and Netherlands = Dutch lol.

god dammit! I get that mixed up all the time too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EvRobert said:

god dammit! I get that mixed up all the time too

It's a constant battle tbh. But my love for Michiel Huisman has made me take this shit seriously now because he's Dutch LOL.

Universal had *very* high hopes for this film as a potential film franchise, a jumping point for a potential NBC series entitled "Transylvania", and a strong presence in their theme parks. In 2004, Universal Orlando completely rethemed their Horror Make-Up Show to include elements from Van Helsing (many aspects are still in that show to this day), and Universal Studios Hollywood opened a year-round Haunted House themed to the film called Van Helsing: Fortress Dracula (it closed in 2006).

Back to Universal Orlando, there was even a plan to make a Van Helsing-themed ride in their Islands of Adventure theme park. This would have been an indoor ride using state-of-the-art robotic arms carrying riders through scenes based around the film. When the film bombed, the project was shelved... but the concept was later used for the VERY successful Wizarding World of Harry Potter ride: "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey" - using the same robotic arm vehicles.

So... if it weren't for the failure of Van Helsing, we might not have gotten the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park attractions.

Below are 'supposed' leaked blueprints of the cancelled Van Helsing ride at Islands of Adventure (from the IOACentral forums).fjorig2s.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

And isn’t Abraham Van Helsing as a character fairly popular and recognizable? I don’t understand why they changed his name from Abraham to Gabriel and then expected it to not be noticed or matter. It’s not as if they couldn’t make him the angel Gabriel and Abraham Van Helsing be his name he took after he lost his memory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Queen of the Damned would NEVER

• Like 2

4 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Fuck. But I Googled Dutch actors and it says Carice van Houten is Dutch. So we will stay on Game of Thrones and just switch it from Jaime Lannister to Melisandre. She can play Pam Helsing. 

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

Queen of the Damned would NEVER

RIp Aaliyah 

2 hours ago, Mister Card said:

And isn’t Abraham Van Helsing as a character fairly popular and recognizable? I don’t understand why they changed his name from Abraham to Gabriel and then expected it to not be noticed or matter. It’s not as if they couldn’t make him the angel Gabriel and Abraham Van Helsing be his name he took after he lost his memory.

The writer of this clearly had not read the book. 

I also don’t understand the Archangel Gabriel thing and Kate going to Heaven. Because vampire lore is already steeped in religion, which is kind of a problem for modern audiences that aren’t all Roman Catholic. (I remember a vicious debate in Buffy fandom if a Star or David could repel a vampire like a cross.)  So why would you make it MORE religious? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

The writer of this clearly had not read the book. 

*any book

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Fuck. But I Googled Dutch actors and it says Carice van Houten is Dutch. So we will stay on Game of Thrones and just switch it from Jaime Lannister to Melisandre. She can play Pam Helsing. 

Elektra, Michiel Huisman was Daario. We're still on GoT theme if we stick with my main squeeze here.

• Like 1