đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 210 - Van Helsing: LIVE! (w/ Seth Rogen, Riki Lindhome, Ben Blacker)

2 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

As a PKD fan I would not mind a remake that is closer to the source, or at least not a big sloppy mess, but unfortunately most of the film adaptations of his stuff are neither. :(

I honestly thought that the Total Recall remake was supposed to be closer to the story. Even though I never read it, I could tell that it definitely wasn't. It was just a boring old remake.

5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I honestly thought that the Total Recall remake was supposed to be closer to the story. Even though I never read it, I could tell that it definitely wasn't. It was just a boring old remake.

Yeah. It's been a while since I read the original story but I remember that the first film was reasonably close basically up to the point where Arnold goes to Moss - sorry, Mars- and the rest is pretty much invented for the film. Most of the films have been based on short stories, so that will tend to happen.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, theworstbuddhist said:

As a PKD fan I would not mind a remake that is closer to the source, or at least not a big sloppy mess, but unfortunately most of the film adaptations of his stuff are neither. :(

While I'm on about it though I will throw out recommendations for the following PKD adaptations that haven't been widely seen:

Barjo (French adaptation of the non-SF novel Confessions of a Crap Artist)
Screamers (Low-budget adaptation of the short story "Second Variety" starring Peter Weller)
A Scanner Darkly (Animated film by Richard Linklater adapting the autobiographical SF novel of the same name, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Woody Harrelson)

Also, RIP Rutger Hauer :(

Based on this recommendation, I watched A Scanner Darkly this morning. Mind blown! 

On 7/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Based on this recommendation, I watched A Scanner Darkly this morning. Mind blown! 

The film adaptation of A Scanner Darkly is one that I wish Phil could have seen, I think he would have dug it. If you haven't seen it already, Linklater's earlier animated film Waking Life (starring Wiley Wiggins, from Dazed and Confused) was a prototype for those crazy cel-shading techniques and also has a lot of references to PKD.