🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 63 A Star is Born (1937)

36 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I believe that at the point where we meet Aly she had just been beaten by insecurities, because she makes a comment that she keeps getting told that she'll make it big if it weren't for how ugly she was. So I don't think she ever really gives it up because she's still performing, but I don't think she's been told "No," the same way that Ester has. In the 37 version we just see that Ester gets told no because there are 100,000 other girls going out for the same jobs, but Aly gets told no because of her nose.

That’s right. I forgot about that. 

I mean, I agree that Gaga is the best part of the new one, but I just don’t think it’s as good as the world has been trying to convince me it is. ‘37 is a fine movie; 2018 feels like it’s trying too hard. And aside from “Shallow,” none of the songs really did anything for me. Also, I found it incredibly hard to believe that this gross, sweaty dude singing crunchy country-rock is such a big deal that EVERYONE knows who he is. He would have his niche, but I’m sure he can buy peas without being harassed.

• Like 2

So, I come down real hard in favor of the '37 movie, but I think it's mostly because I found the humor so delightful. Aly's performances were also delightful, and I think i'd have liked the new one much better if it had more humorous notes. It took itself so very seriously. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

So, I come down real hard in favor of the '37 movie, but I think it's mostly because I found the humor so delightful. Aly's performances were also delightful, and I think i'd have liked the new one much better if it had more humorous notes. It took itself so very seriously. 

I agree. I hate when movies try to sell us on couples who, like, never laugh or have a good time. I felt like Esther and Norman were in love. Aly and Jackson felt like they cared for each other, but I didn’t get that “Ooh, they’re meant to be” feeling. If anything, I feel like Aly should be like, “Thank you for the opportunity, but I think we should just be friends.”

I mean, look at this mess:

giphy.gif

I appreciate you like my nose, but seriously, no, thank you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

That’s right. I forgot about that. 

I mean, I agree that Gaga is the best part of the new one, but I just don’t think it’s as good as the world has been trying to convince me it is. ‘37 is a fine movie; 2018 feels like it’s trying too hard. And aside from “Shallow,” none of the songs really did anything for me. Also, I found it incredibly hard to believe that this gross, sweaty dude singing crunchy country-rock is such a big deal that EVERYONE knows who he is. He would have his niche, but I’m sure he can buy peas without being harassed.

I'm trying to think of a real counterpart for him because I've definitely seen acts like him at festivals (which is what I'm assuming that first concert we see him play at is, just based on the flags and shit that you see in the crowd) and the only thing I could really come up with is Father John Misty which has a huge ass following in the folk/rock/country genre, but obvs I think we're supposed to assume that like Norman he's more of a nostalgia piece by this point than at his peak. He doesn't seem pure country so it doesn't make as much sense that his crowds would be as large as they are at that point (it truly seems like country fans will be ride or die with people they love), but that could be part of it for sure. I really loved that first song he sang solo, but I think after that we never hear anything from him that he doesn't then sing with Aly, maybe possibly echoing how Norman never acts again without Ester by his side?

And truly, without Gaga I don't think the 2018 version would hold nearly the same weight as it does currently.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I agree. I hate when movies try to sell us on couples who, like, never laugh or have a good time. I felt like Esther and Norman were in love. Aly and Jackson felt like they cared for each other, but I didn’t get that “Ooh, they’re meant to be” feeling. If anything, if feel like Aly should be like, “Thank you for the opportunity, but I think we should just be friends.”

giphy.gif

Man I could not feel more opposite y'all!!

I am legit Team Bradley & Gaga Must Have Fucked IRL because I felt that chemistry from one end to the other. But when I watched the two in the 37 version I literally felt nothing until the very end of the movie. That first "date" scene with him driving her home just read way more like a drunk dude trying to get laid with his classic line and yeah I could see on Ester's face that she ate that shit up, but then when they decide to get married I didn't believe it at all! I had no sense that they were truly in love with each other until Ester and Oliver are talking about how she's going to quit acting to stay with him. That was the one moment on both those lead's faces that I genuinely believed they were in love.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I agree. I hate when movies try to sell us on couples who, like, never laugh or have a good time. I felt like Esther and Norman were in love. Aly and Jackson felt like they cared for each other, but I didn’t get that “Ooh, they’re meant to be” feeling. If anything, if feel like Aly should be like, “Thank you for the opportunity, but I think we should just be friends.”

giphy.gif

Haha this line is in every version of the film. 

I can buy it when the first guy says it right before sacrificing himself into the ocean, but a couple of the others just do it because they're horny and it's cheesy.

(Unsure when Bradley says it.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Unsureï»ż whï»żen Bradley says it.)

This is at the beginning and it’s totally skeevy 

• Like 2

The beginning!  OMG haha

I feel like you guys really should check the 70s one and laugh since we all like bad movies

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

The beginning!  OMG haha

I feel like you guys really should check the 70s one and laugh since we all like bad movies

Well...the first time he says it ;) 

32 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Haha this line is in every version of the film. 

I can buy it when the first guy says it right before sacrificing himself into the ocean, but a couple of the others just do it because they're horny and it's cheesy.

(Unsure when Bradley says it.)

The first dude says it after their first night together tho too. This isn't something the remakes invented lol.

Just now, taylorannephoto said:

The first dude says it after their first night together tho too. This isn't something the remakes invented lol.

Oh I didn't remember that. All the versions are melting together in my mind

2 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Understandable, and I will say it definitely packs a bigger punch when he bookmarks it at the end.

1 minute ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yes, but in this one he rasps it at her after their first date like a fucking deviant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

Yes, but in this one he rasps it at her after their first date like a fucking deviant. 

Oh I believe it. Kristofferson makes numerous comments about Streisand's ass quite directly in the '70s one...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

But Norman drunkenly slurs it to Ester after driving her home the first time they meet!

2 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

But Norman drunkenly slurs it to Ester after driving her home the first time they meet!

I’m never said it was better. Although Norman at least looks cleaner.

• Like 1

Just now, Cameron H. said:

I’m never said it was better. Although Norman at least looks cleaner.

That's for sure. I wonder if that was a choice to really highlight his alcoholism cause boy howdy can you tell this man has issues.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

That's for sure. I wonder if that was a choice to really highlight his alcoholism cause boy howdy can you tell this man has issues.

He looked like he smelled like rotting beef jerky stuffed in a gym bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I'mï»ż tryingï»żï»ż to think of a real counterpart for himï»ż

My vibe, not necessarily in terms of music style or personality, was he was, like, Eddie Vedder levels of famous. Pretty big and respected, but of the old guard. The thing is, I know of Eddie Vedder. If you showed me a picture of Eddie Vedder with Pearl Jam, I’d be like, “That’s the guy.” But if Eddie Vedder walked up to me on the street, I wouldn’t have a clue who he was. I’m certain some people would, but not at the “OMG you’re Jackson Maine!” level depicted in the movie.

I think there are very few musicians most people would know on sight. I don’t see Jackson Maine having the crossover appeal to become a household name/face.

• Like 2

I too am not "A Star is Born" person. Not that there is anything wrong with the movie and I realize that this specific version is the original but it is just such a well worn trope of a story for the most part that "small town person wants to make it big" that I just kinda instinctively glaze over a bit. What I did find interesting is that this version the focus is very much on Vicki who makes it big while in the new one it seems more about Maine's struggle and she's kinda along for the ride. Rightfully so because both the focused characters are the more interesting ones. I'm going to be the contrarian and say I thought Bradly Cooper was much better than Gaga in the new one (singing aside because obviously) and yes that's largely in part to him writing himself the more complex character. Again the fact that I said I don't like the typical nobody becomes big type story is probably why I like the newer version more because it is more of a story about this guy's downfall which is a bit more interesting to me. Also new Star is Born I hated the third act, pissing the pants on was not good. Heck, maybe Chappelle on is not all that great. On the flip side I thought the original starts weak and gets better. I think the problem I have with the original is a bit like Taylor Anne that I didn't really feel the connection between the two as much as I did in the new one. They are two different relationships for sure, but I felt like more chemistry was had between Gaga and Cooper. 

Though for me one of the things I had a big problem in both films is the down turn for Maine were kinda sudden in both. The original handled it a bit better for me. Norman Maine seemed to be on the down turn for awhile, and the people were basically over him. Therefore his career finally washing up makes sense but is still a bit sudden. The new one it never really seems his career washed up or was faded. He got bumped for a newer artist at an awards show but that was about it. He was still selling out shows. So while him being jealous of Ally's rise does seem a bit odd but compound that with his hearing loss and that it kinda makes sense. Kinda.

• Like 2

Also, if anyone could explain to me the no cowboys reference in the apartment ad I'd be very happy.

Oops, I wrote a PM note here 😊

That’ll teach me to post at 5-something in the morning.

• Like 1

So random thoughts about A Star Is Born in general

1) I knew going in that this wasn't a musical, but I wasn't expecting it to be a film about Hollywood and acting. I guess, since, the others have always cast such a promiant singer in the role, I've always assumed it was about a singer who makes it big thanks to some svengali influence. 

2) regarding ASIB18, I felt that Bradley Cooper was drawing a lot on the Dolly Parton/Porter Wagnor story for inspiration 

3) The ASIB formula is so established by now that it's almost become a troupe, could we take these beats and apply them to a different field in a movie other than entertainment? Like, could we make a political drama but following the troupe and beats established in ASIB?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

So random thoughts about A Star Is Born in general

1) I knew going in that this wasn't a musical, but I wasn't expecting it to be a film about Hollywood and acting. I guess, since, the others have always cast such a promiant singer in the role, I've always assumed it was about a singer who makes it big thanks to some svengali influence. 

2) regarding ASIB18, I felt that Bradley Cooper was drawing a lot on the Dolly Parton/Porter Wagnor story for inspiration 

3) The ASIB formula is so established by now that it's almost become a troupe, could we take these beats and apply them to a different field in a movie other than entertainment? Like, could we make a political drama but following the troupe and beats established in ASIB?

I'm not sure how the love story would play in so well but this story of could be applied to a political drama very easily I think. 

Maybe this is a point for the original but it makes more sense in my mind that it is acting and not singing though. I don't know how to properly verbalize it but it seems the acting world is a bit harsher on has beens and washed up stars and does seems more likely that a young star bumps out a new star. The music world is much wider and larger, and people seem to be able to milk careers longer.

2 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I'm not sure how the love story would play in so well but this story of could be applied to a political drama very easily I think. 

Maybe this is a point for the original but it makes more sense in my mind that it is acting and not singing though. I don't know how to properly verbalize it but it seems the acting world is a bit harsher on has beens and washed up stars and does seems more likely that a young star bumps out a new star. The music world is much wider and larger, and people seem to be able to milk careers longer.

There's always a county or state fair or a music festival that is looking for an old act. Or they switch genres, rockers switch to country, country artists go "Christian". I agree, the acting side makes more sense. 

• Like 1