🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
cdawg87

Teaching Mrs. Tingle (1999)

I mean, Katie Holmes? Helen Mirren?

It's so, so bad.

This movie is straight up garbage. It is 90 mins and there is only about 10 mins of plot. Has Katie Holmes and Helen Mirren.

It is meant to be a black comedy. No laughs to be had.

All I know is the title alone made me want to punch something!

Initially it was going to be "Killing Mrs. Tingle." Then Columbine happened, and suddenly it wasn't politically correct to talk about murdering your teachers.

Initially it was going to be "Killing Mrs. Tingle." Then Columbine happened, and suddenly it wasn't politically correct to talk about murdering your teachers.

It's funny that THIS is the only legacy this movie has, that it used to be called something different before something horrible happened. What's the movie about? Eh, who fuckin' knows. Jeez, remember when Kevin WIlliamson was all the rage?

All I remember from it was that a kid in the movie thought it was a good idea to make a crossbow for his school project and fire an arrow in class.

All I remember from it was that a kid in the movie thought it was a good idea to make a crossbow for his school project and fire an arrow in class.

And here I thought that "We Need to Talk About Kevin" was just one of the many films that exploited the archery craze of 2011-12, when in fact it was really just a thinly-veiled "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" knockoff. LIES!

• Like 1

Jeez, remember when Kevin WIlliamson was all the rage?

Nowadays, he does more TV. He works on "The Vampire Diaries" and "The Following," the latter of which I was sorely tempted to recommend to HDTGM solely based off the AV Club's continuing reviews of how implausible and aggravating the show is. (I didn't recommend it, because I decided it probably wouldn't be any fun to talk about a show where people are gruesomely killed every dang week—or, from the 20 minutes of the pilot that I watched, just before every commercial break.)

The crossbow is such an obvious plot device. Most plot points feel like they are being shoved in your face. Terrible.

Have to bump this movie, the script appears to be written by someone who clearly didn't like one of their teachers and used this opportunity to write some kind of revenge fantasy. 

I was interning at a shitty production company before this came out and got a chance to read the script. I was shocked at how bad it was in script form, so I never saw the movie.

It's amazing some of the dreck that was a part of Mirren's career before her Oscar win like this, Caligula, and the Shadowboxer. If anything this movie should be done back to back with Shadoboxer as that movie is so mind boggling bad and has a lineup of notable people involved with it.

• Like 1

She kind of reminds me of John C. Reilly, it was pretty late in his career before he was getting cast in roles that really showed his strengths as a comedic actor. Alot of his earlier roles are along the lines of the one he played in The River Wild. 

1 hour ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

She kind of reminds me of John C. Reilly, it was pretty late in his career before he was getting cast in roles that really showed his strengths as a comedic actor. Alot of his earlier roles are along the lines of the one he played in The River Wild. 

He's also a dude you forget how long he's been acting for as his first role was in Casualties of War with Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox, as well as similar "they've been acting for how long?!" guys in Ving Rhames and John Leguizamo.

Sign in to follow this