🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 212 - Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II: LIVE! (w/ Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen)

There’s a continuity error that bothered me, right before Vicki was possessed by Mary Lou they stopped at the diner again because she couldn’t sleep after the horse was being a dick and fucking with her and the whole mirror being made of water scene, she puts sugar in her coffee. Again, NOT POSSESSED YET. And when the final scene is “do take sugar with your coffee?” And Vicki coming out of the “vagina trunk” (lolz) she says “that stuff will kill you.” I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and call bullshit on that error on the editors part.

6 minutes ago, Fez-weirdo517 said:

There’s a continuity error that bothered me, right before Vicki was possessed by Mary Lou they stopped at the diner again because she couldn’t sleep after the horse was being a dick and fucking with her and the whole mirror being made of water scene, she puts sugar in her coffee. Again, NOT POSSESSED YET. And when the final scene is “do take sugar with your coffee?” And Vicki coming out of the “vagina trunk” (lolz) she says “that stuff will kill you.” I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and call bullshit on that error on the editors part.

I think she was already possessed at that point but she just wasn't taken out of her own body yet. Because that was also the same day her mother told her to go see Father what's his face and she tried to put her cross to her forehead to start to pray and she couldn't actually physically do it. Her hand was like shaking and she struggled to put it to her face so she just gave up, and I believe it's because Mary Lou was already inside her.

• Like 3

I guess the issue also is that even with that scene of the cross she still didn’t have control of her body, and even if there is this Mary Lou half assed possession on her then perhaps that 2nd diner scene would have been a good 2nd foreshadowing to the end question if her boyfriend said “thought that stuff could kill you?” But I’m not overly convinced on that because she still had full control over her body and I know I sound like I’m really hung up on this because I am! 😖 

On 4/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, The Working Dead said:

Another teacher is Mr. O'Bannon, probably named for Dan O'Bannon, screenwriter of Alien and writer/director of the first Return of the Living Dead

I think you mean Dan O'Bannon co-screenwriter of Lifeforce.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I think she was already possessed at that point but she just wasn't taken out of her own body yet. Because that was also the same day her mother told her to go see Father what's his face and she tried to put her cross to her forehead to start to pray and she couldn't actually physically do it. Her hand was like shaking and she struggled to put it to her face so she just gave up, and I believe it's because Mary Lou was already inside her.

I think the night before she did her make up like Mary Lou too. I saw it as Mary Lou slowly gaining strength over her

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gigi-tastic said:

I think the night before she did her make up like Mary Lou too. I saw it as Mary Lou slowly gaining strength over her

Yeah I don't think this is an all or nothing deal. I'm no expert in possession but all these horror movies I've seen over the years indicate it's more sinister than just one day you are you and then the next you have no control over your body.

• Like 2

Just now, taylorannephoto said:

Yeah I don't think this is an all or nothing deal. I'm no expert in possession but all these horror movies I've seen over the years indicate it's more sinister than just one day you are you and then the next you have no control over your body.

I assume that she "woke up" maybe had to gain her power with time, slowly took over Vikie, tricked her into the blackboard realm, morphed into her and went about her way.

I'm so angry right now. I just wrote a very long  mini essay on 1. Where was Mary Lou in the afterlife and 2. If it was hell did she deserves to go there and my tablet ATE IT. I had sources I was referencing ancient Greek mythology, Dante, Catholicism it was a good nerdy time y'all! Anyway.... Discuss

if I feel up to it I'll try to rewrite it though I doubt anyone wants to read the nerd facts as much as enjoy finding them

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

So Mary Lou has many interesting powers. Paul and the gang talked about how weird it was she was able to kill not-Real Genius via electricity via the computer. However this glosses over the even more incredible power she has in that scene. Half a school away not-Real Genius is changing the results on the computer and she can sense it! She literally feels it the moment it is changed and then proceeds to grab an outlet to electrocute him. Does being a evil spirit also give you a Spider Sense that is tuned into prom king and queen status? In addition even though he types it into the computer she somehow uses her powers to change it back to herself anyway. If Mary Lou could change the results at any time why would she even need to try to get not-Real Genius to pick her anyway?

I feel like she sensed anything in the way of her ultimate goal?.like if it was prom queen related Mary Lou knew it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

I'm so angry right now. I just wrote a very long  mini essay on 1. Where was Mary Lou in the afterlife and 2. If it was hell did she deserves to go there and my tablet ATE IT. I had sources I was referencing ancient Greek mythology, Dante, Catholicism it was a good nerdy time y'all! Anyway.... Discuss

if I feel up to it I'll try to rewrite it though I doubt anyone wants to read the nerd facts as much as enjoy finding them

That is the worst!! I've been having a hard time coming up with something to say beyond what's already been said, so I'll use this as a jumping off point: 

1) I think Mary Lou was trapped in purgatory and her spirit was kept with the tiara and sash in the trunk, which was opened because the pregnant girl (my favorite character by the way) was looking for a prom dress in the school's storage of props, etc. When the trunk opened, Mary Lou's spirit was awakened and ready for revenge. To go on what Taylor was mentioning earlier, I think her spirit first was able to overtake and inhabit inanimate objects like the murder cape, and the Vicki's bed sheets, and then eventually is able to take over Vicki herself. As a side note, I think she chose to possess Vicki because she was dating Billy's son, maybe? 

I'll ponder the Hell thing, since I personally don't believe in a hell, but I could see that for people who do believe in Hell, they probably would think she deserves to go there. I do not. But i'm a bleeding heart liberal moral relativist ;) 

Goodness, how I loved Charlize as a guest! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

That is the worst!! I've been having a hard time coming up with something to say beyond what's already been said, so I'll use this as a jumping off point: 

1) I think Mary Lou was trapped in purgatory and her spirit was kept with the tiara and sash in the trunk, which was opened because the pregnant girl (my favorite character by the way) was looking for a prom dress in the school's storage of props, etc. When the trunk opened, Mary Lou's spirit was awakened and ready for revenge. To go on what Taylor was mentioning earlier, I think her spirit first was able to overtake and inhabit inanimate objects like the murder cape, and the Vicki's bed sheets, and then eventually is able to take over Vicki herself. As a side note, I think she chose to possess Vicki because she was dating Billy's son, maybe? 

I'll ponder the Hell thing, since I personally don't believe in a hell, but I could see that for people who do believe in Hell, they probably would think she deserves to go there. I do not. But i'm a bleeding heart liberal moral relativist ;) 

Goodness, how I loved Charlize as a guest! 

I am torn on purgatory because  on the Pro purgatory side we have her staunch deceleration of the absence of God and " no fucking wings! ". For a while I thought *maybe* she was stuck in the helllike blackboard realm and only truly gained corporeal form once she tricked Vickie into trading places with her as that's what usually happens in these situations. Someone must take the place of whoever is in the other realm / dead.

The reason I'm torn between purgatory and hell ( blackboard land?) Is because of the Catholic imagery in the movie and the idea of mortal sins. I should mention in Agnostic and don't believe in hell except in extreme cases like... Crimes against humanity cases.

As a Catholic Mary Lou would by church doctrine need to make a confession at least once a year / before her death. During her confession we see she says it's been 3 months since her last one. HOWEVER I can pretty much guarantee she was not given absolution during that particular visit and I would hazard a guess this isn't the first time she's been like that. (MY theory is her parents probably make her go to confession.) Also she tried to lure others to sin by writing her phone number in the confessional and according to Wikipedia that's a on the list of mortal sins (Encouragement of another's grave sins or vices). Speaking of that might be sacrilege?

We do know when she died she had the sins of blasphemy ( taking the Lord's name in vain many times), disobeying her parents,and having sex ( Rock on with your bad self Mary Lou!), Encouragement of another's grave sins, sacrilege(?)

4 of these Mortal Sins. I'm gonna throw Mary Lou a hand and say the parents one was a venial sin . Meaning supposedly it just weakens your relationship with god.

If you have Venial sins your purgatory bound vs mortal sins which equals hell.

So she has gone to confessional in three months. Assuming she wasn't awesome and was contrite seeming she would have that absolution on her side.  

Maybe she landed in a hellish version of purgatory?

• Like 2

OMG guys..... Totally off topic but I'm in Toronto and only a 5 min walk from the main location of Little Italy!!!!

Actual set location mock-up...

DDOOvUN.jpg

Naturally I had to do this: 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

The 5th circle of Hell is high school prom

• Like 3

On 4/27/2019 at 5:13 PM, Cameron H. said:

I’m in the middle of watching the movie now, and I have to assume the entire episode is just them gushing over how fantastic it is. It seems pretty flawless to me.

I was a little surprised they were doing this movie because it is by no accounts, a bad movie.  Maybe it's just the reputation of sequels-in-name-only films, but I feel Prom Night 2 >>> Prom Night. (Admittedly, my memory is a little shaky here, I haven't watched either in about 6 months).

On 4/27/2019 at 6:20 PM, RyanSz said:

They really need to cover Night of the Creeps as it's an amazing cult horror film.

That's one thing I never understood about Nightmare 2 or this, in that these bodies are literally torn to shreds for the villain to come into the real world to exact their revenge, but once you look back at the character they tore through, they are back to normal as if nothing happened. While it's just in the chest in Prom Night 2, in Nightmare 2 the lead character is just strimbles of skin once Freddy uses him as a doorway, there isn't even any blood on the room surfaces.

When Paul said he liked how they mixed the 1950's and 1980's era stuff, my mind went to, "he should watch Night of the Creeps," and I was hoping someone was going to introduce themselves as "Tom Atkins' Mustache," but that probably would have been too oblique (and the 80s part anyways).

On the portal shredding trope, as I was channel surfing, Demons 2 came one, and it also had a scene like that.  And I was thinking, "man, they also did this in Demons."  And then I come on here, read this, and think, "man, they were doing this a lot back then."  For some weird reason, I kept thinking this was all somehow Alien chest-bursting influenced.  But I don't know why.  Especially breaking it down, I think there was a scene in The Stuff that also had a similar effect and was probably more akin (with the lack of blood).  Man, it's been forever (decades) since I've seen The Stuff.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, The Working Dead said:

When Vicki is found in the trunk at the end of the movie she's soaking wet, which implies to me she's been stuck in the nether realm since the moment she was sucked into the blackboard. I think Mary Lou actually just manifested a replica of Vicki's body so she could walk around without drawing too much attention to herself. So when she shed Vicki's skin she was really just taking off a costume, and then after she was "defeated" Vicki was let out of that nether realm and reappeared in the trunk, which appears to be some form of doorway to wherever Mary Lou has been chilling since the 50s.

I guess we should point out coming out of the tv, I mean the trunk, covered in liquid is probably copying the firm rules of interdimensional spirits established in Poltergeist.

8 hours ago, souprman said:

I think you mean Dan O'Bannon co-screenwriter of Lifeforce.

Another movie with a woman walking around for an extremely extended period of time without any clothes.

I'm starting to think this movie just has every movie.

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

The 5th circle of Hell is high school prom

I think you mean Hellmouth

giphy.gif

• Like 2

This movie is a horrible advertisement for Yamaha motorcycles. This kid is constantly fixing it. Get a new bike brah. Also, what exactly is he fixing with a screwdriver. Fixing a shock? With only a screw driver?

This movie gave me flashbacks of being stuffed in a locker in high school. I wasn’t being pursued by women though...

After the Vicki and Father Cooper scene in the grave yard, we cut to Father Cooper performing some sort of Exorcism in the church. He chants "The body of Christ compels you!" multiple times, but it sounds more like "The Buddy of Christ compels you!" which is crazy because his nickname is Buddy. So he (Buddy) is asking Christ (as his buddy) to compel the evil spirit away.

30 minutes ago, TechTheatreProf said:

After the Vicki and Father Cooper scene in the grave yard, we cut to Father Cooper performing some sort of Exorcism in the church. He chants "The body of Christ compels you!" multiple times, but it sounds more like "The Buddy of Christ compels you!" which is crazy because his nickname is Buddy. So he (Buddy) is asking Christ (as his buddy) to compel the evil spirit away.

He was maybe calling on this happy fellow:

Buddy-Christ-kevin-smith-70822_360_640.j

• Like 3

At first I thought that the actor playing young Michael Ironside was actually Michael Ironside as a young actor, I had to look and see what he looked like in the mid 80's. It was a bit confusing

Seth's made up Canadian phrases:

Saskatchewan Goodnight

New Brunswick Hover

Canadian Blowjob

Manitoba Menthol

• Like 1

While watching this movie I made a startling revelation. I actually own the same blue Chuck Taylors that Craig owned.