🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Adam D

Queen of the Damned (2002)

Bumping this because we need another vampire movie soon, plus I feel like a grunge movie is in order. Plus British people with American accents man.

We haven't commented in this since January and I'm never letting go the possibility to talk about this.

• Like 1

Please, keep the dream alive! I will never stop bumping this thread (or Surviving the Game, probably). Of all the recommended movies in this sub, this is one of the best for HDTGM.

• Like 1

And lest any one forget, the event that kicks off this entire movie is Lestat being awoken by a Nü Metal band practicing near his grave. He immediately takes over as their singer.

• Like 1

And lest any one forget, the event that kicks off this entire movie is Lestat being awoken by a Nü Metal band practicing near his grave. He immediately takes over as their singer.

If my memory of the book serves me correctly (it's been at least 10 years since I've read it and I tend to mix all of her books together) then that's literally what happens in the story. Except it definitely wasn't a Korn style band in the book and that was put there cause of the Times.

• Like 1

If my memory of the book serves me correctly (it's been at least 10 years since I've read it and I tend to mix all of her books together) then that's literally what happens in the story. Except it definitely wasn't a Korn style band in the book and that was put there cause of the Times.

Ha! That's great info. I've wondered how that scene differs from the book. It's such an odd way to start that I figured it must depart from the source. Like, I definitely couldn't picture how Ann Rice would write Nu Metal into a story. "Lestat opened his throat and, with the power of a thousand trapped souls, began to sing, 'Something takes a part of meeeeeee...'"

• Like 1

When Queen of the Damned came out, I was definitely a Teen Who Thought Korn Was a Good Band, therefore my self-hatred is strong when it comes to this movie. I would wholeheartedly welcome the chance to make fun of it for all its terribleness, as it would placate my desire for emotional self-flagellation, at least when it comes to my own past opinions.

• Like 2

Ha! That's great info. I've wondered how scene differs from the book. It's such an odd way to start that I figured it must depart from the source. Like, I definitely couldn't picture how Ann Rice would write Nu Metal into a story. "Lestat opened his throat and, with the power of a thousand trapped souls, began to sing, 'Something takes a part of meeeeeee...'"

The biggest difference that I remember is the size of Marguetite Moreau's character as it was much smaller in the book and there wasn't any actual romantic subplot between them. Also all of the backstory we're given on Lestat before the modern day scenes are in the book "The Vampire Lestat" and what they put into the movie isn't even totally correct. For one, Lestat was bitten by Magnus and not Marius and was transformed in Paris and wasn't taken to that coastal mansion until he later meets Marius at which point he had already been a vampire for quite some time. Then the whole thing with playing the violin for Akasha actually does happen and then this book ends on the concert in San Francisco and it's like this big cliffhanger that then leads into Queen of the Damned.

Oh and I just checked the date the book was published which was 1988 so I'm imagining the rock of the day which leads me to think that Lestat sounded more like Echo & The Bunnymen lololol.

• Like 2

The biggest difference that I remember is the size of Marguetite Moreau's character as it was much smaller in the book and there wasn't any actual romantic subplot between them. Also all of the backstory we're given on Lestat before the modern day scenes are in the book "The Vampire Lestat" and what they put into the movie isn't even totally correct. For one, Lestat was bitten by Magnus and not Marius and was transformed in Paris and wasn't taken to that coastal mansion until he later meets Marius at which point he had already been a vampire for quite some time. Then the whole thing with playing the violin for Akasha actually does happen and then this book ends on the concert in San Francisco and it's like this big cliffhanger that then leads into Queen of the Damned.

Oh and I just checked the date the book was published which was 1988 so I'm imagining the rock of the day which leads me to think that Lestat sounded more like Echo & The Bunnymen lololol.

I remember reading that Ann Rice was not happy about this movie. Butchering two of her books at once would certainly be grounds for feeling upset lol.

E&TB might've been the gothest popular thing at the time ha! I wonder if she had music like that in mind. Like L'estat is a vampiric Morissey idea. It'd either be that or he'd be singing Guns 'n' Roses-type arena rock.

I remember reading that Ann Rice was not happy about this movie. Butchering two of her books at once would certainly be grounds for feeling upset lol.

E&TB might've been the gothest popular thing at the time ha! I wonder if she had music like that in mind. Like L'estat is a vampiric Morissey idea. It'd either be that or he'd be singing Guns 'n' Roses-type arena rock.

Or he looks like Robert Smith and sounds like Axl Rose lol!

• Like 1

Watched this last night, I completely forgot how jarring it was to see Jonathan Davis's voice coming out of Stuart Townsend's mouth. Its so fucking bizarre that they went that direction. It also makes the scene where the keyboardist is entranced by his voice all the more hilarious. 

I also loved the fact that they cast people who were clearly having a good time playing vampires. I think 90% of the cast could have been instructed to bring in their own costumes and they would have fit in perfectly. After filming wrapped I feel like they all just wandered off set and decided to live the rest of their lives as their characters from this movie. 

Loooooved the actor who plays Marius, I don't remember him anything else. But he's just delightful in this, the scene where he's onstage doing his little mini vampire clap for Lestat after they fought of all the attackers is just wonderful. 

Thoroughly entertaining, but I can see why Anne Rice was annoyed by it, especially after it followed Interview with a Vampire which was pretty much as perfect as an adaptation of a novel as you can get. 

Sign in to follow this