🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
theworstbuddhist

BASEketball (1998)

I have seen this film dozens of times. I do love it, even if I find it harder and harder to  love Matt and Trey as the years pass. This film is a Zucker/Abrams production in the tradition of Airplane! and The Naked Gun, turning their satire on pro sports not long after the mid-90s MLB player lockout. It is apparently based on a true story in that the Zuckers (and I assume Abrams was their Squeak Scolari) invented this driveway basketball game that mixes horse with baseball rules, and it had a small amount of popularity in their area of California at the time.

The cast of this movie is amazing, with Robert Vaughn effortlessly stealing comedy scenes. Matt and Trey are kind of adorably bad actors and Dian Bachar is amazing. And of course the love interests, Jenny McCarthy (speaking of people it's hard to tolerate now) and Yasmin Bleeth.. Ernest Borgnine and a bunch of great cameos. I don't think it's a bad movie but its is not aging well and a lot of its humour is weak, as the characters themselves would say. It's only 20 years old but I feel like someone watching it for the first time now legitimately would wonder how the hell it got made.

Sign in to follow this