🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
The Power Nap

Meet the Hollowheads

It can be safely said that the '80s did things to people. One could look back over the '60s, and '70s to some degree and see a natural progression. The '80s on the other hand looks as if that progression hit a speed bump and the box in the back seat containing gender identity got dumped out all over the floor. What was that speed bump you ask? Cocaine.

Because of this the '80s gave us some very odd cinema like Xanadu, or Forbidden Zone. One film that I do hold close is called 'Meet the Hollowheads'. It has the acting powerhouse that is Juliette Lewis along with her brother Lightfield (not misspelled). Bobcat Goldthwait has a cameo, along with 'Goonies' and 'Throw Momma From the Train' star Anne Ramsey. This film was written and directed by an FX artist if I recall correctly, so there is heavy emphasis on a bunch of bizarre puppetry. This film is pure entertainment.

Juliette and Lightfield get a little insest-uy when he plays his Chicken-o-phone. Mom cooks worms that come out of the walls. Dad's boss comes over for dinner and gets all rapey, and a dog walks around in a rubber suit.

This is worth your time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095608/

I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, or if anyone else even knows about this movie, but Meet The Hollowheads is prime fodder for the podcast. It is far and away the most bizarre movie I have ever seen. It tries to simultaneously blend a Leave It To Beaver style light hearted family comedy element, a dark dystopian future element, a bit of a horror elemnt, with many layers of not-so-subtle sexual inuendo. It left me with the same feeling I had after watching Requiem For A Dream for the first time, but for entirely differnet reasons. Here is an article that does a much better job of describing the film, and I highly reccomend you watch the trailer posted in the article.

Sign in to follow this