🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bundi

On Deadly Ground (1994)

Hello,

I cannot believe I registered for this and it will probably will not get read, but what the hell. I think On Deadly Ground (directed by and starring Steven Segal) would be perfect fodder for How Did This Get Made. Steven Seagal was coming off a string of hits (Above the Law, Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, Out for Justice, and Under Siege - all classic action movies) and leveraged his "star power" to star in and direct his own film. I think it is safe to say this movie killed whatever "star power" he had. The result is unintentionally hilarious. I don't want to spoil too much for the uninitiated but I will mention some highlights: a TEN minute speech at the end about alternate energy sources, Steven Seagal (an environmentalist) blowing up an oil rig to "save" the environment, Michael Caine hamming it up as an evil oil man, and lastly, "what does it take to change the essence of a man?". There is so much more.

The podcast does a really good job of balancing the newer "crazy" movies and the cult classics (Mac and Me, Superman 3, forthcoming Cool as Ice). I really think this would be a great choice for older crazy movie. Even if this movie does not get picked up, all bad movie lovers should get some friends together and watch this. Unfortunately, it is not on netflix, but you can buy it used for $1.48 on amazon (click the earwolf link!!!).

If you read this and agree, please post. I think this would be a great How Did This Get Made!

Bundi

this one is amazing. the perfect encapsulation of everything that is Steven Seagal.

Yes yes YES! The weirdest mix of pro-environmentalism and excessive violence.

Please do it, this is the movie where Steven Seagal's ego went through the roof! And then marked the beginning of the end that eventually resulted in Half Past Dead being his last theatrical release, and is now a fat has-been.

Probably because I hate myself , I've spent the last few days watching all of Steven Seagal's film in order. This is the most Segal, the worst Seagal, the only film Segal himself directed... and it is absolutely BONKERS. Please do everyone a favor and examine this steaming pile. It is the most unintentionally hilarious pile of shit. Thanks!

I just watched this on HBO Go and yes, it needs to be covered on HDTGM. The only thing more offensive than its portrayal of Native Americans is Michael Caine's dye job. Seagal has a vision quest about wrestling a bear. Billy Bob Thornton is there.

Check out this article Michael Caine apparently wrote about the experience:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1311129/Michael-Caine-I-desperate-I-did-movie-Steven-Seagal-In-Alaska-called-On-Deadly-Ground-The-title-proved-apt-.html

I'm pretty sure this is the only movie in the history of cinema where the slap game is incorporated into a bar fight. Also, If you are wondering if Seagal's character is an environmentalist named Forrest, the answer is yes.

• Like 2

I remember hearing about Bob Odenkirk and David Cross doing a live improv "director's commentary" of On Deadly Ground at the All Freakin Night film fest way back when Zack Carlson was doing it. I wish they'd put out an audio track of this version somewhere.

Yeah this was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to Seagal's time as an A lister. From there it was a much-maligned sequel to Under Siege, a switcheroo role in Executive Decision where he his named carried any real weight for the last time, Glimmer Man, and then Fire Down Below which was another attempt at him being eco-friendly. Looking at his filmography I honestly thought he had more films before falling down but he only had made five films before this piece of shit, and then from there he only made the three previously mentioned films before becoming an almost exclusive direct-to-video actor outside of Half Past Dead, Exit Wounds, and his cameo in Machete. I mean has there ever been a major actor that has had that kind of 180 in Hollywood? At least by the time the bloom had fallen off JCVD's rose when he directed The Quest, he had starred in over a dozen moderate to big hit films, and then starred in a half dozen more before going direct-to-video.

Sign in to follow this