🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 66 Preview (EvRobert’s 3rd Pick)

I definitely will try to participate in discussion!  But I don't think it'd be good to have me on the pick list!  lol  I totally agree with Cameron H.'s assessment.

• Like 2

I have to admit I'm not gonna be able to participate in this discussion next week either but that's because on Saturday I'm jetting off to London for a photography adventure!

• Like 7

On 5/14/2019 at 12:04 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

Other non-musical movies would be welcome, but I do like having some sort of 'limits' on it, so it's not just 'here's a movie'.

Cam Bert's idea of doing a round of different genres might be interesting.

I would really like that! I think maybe a non musical theme per month or something would be neat. I know and there are some iconic movie soundtracks that go with non musical movies. I think @taylorannephoto mentioned that when we talked about it in a mini episode. So I would really like to explore that too . How music plays a part in film.

In this week's episode of I Hate It But I Love It (another great podcast) they talked about Practical Magic which is a personal favorite. They mentioned something I had never noticed until then but the music choices are either full on literal with Faith Hill's This Kiss playing when Sally kisses her soon to be husband or just off for the scene like in the exorcism where they thought it should have been more dramatic and scary. I would never have noticed because I've been watching it since I was a kid and I fully admit I have rose colored glasses when it comes to this film but they brought up great points! So that's something I wonder about other movies. LIke I know that Home Alone had an AMAZING score and just... The music adds depth to they film you know?

So  now I wonder if bad movie music is a new trope to look for (Usually if I hear that sexy 80's jazz sax I worry) or if good music means that your in good hands? 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I have to admit I'm not gonna be able to participate in this discussion next week either but that's because on Saturday I'm jetting off to London for a photography adventure!

Oh my god have so much fun !!! As a giant nerd London is the Dream. I hope that you get to live out whatever your most  likely much cooler fantasy is in your time off!

( trying to get a signed copy of any book by Lucy Worsley the head curator of the Historic Palaces while at Hampton Court if you must know is mine). Take some pictures for us if you can!

Also I am so in love with the Clash and now am just listening to them on a loop so thanks for that!

... Ironically I  might currently be wearing my Death or Glory shirt

• Like 4

On 5/14/2019 at 9:26 AM, EvRobert said:

So I've been debating on a couple of film and have watched several over the past couple of months because I knew I had a pick coming up. I wanted one that would fit the whole How Did This Get Made question, one that would be easily available to stream, and one that at least one participant was currently in the news.

So, as much as I wanted to do a Hope/Crosby "Road To..." movie it didn't fit my self imposed parameters nor did the Hugh Jackman Live On Stage version of Oklahoma!

So with that in mind, I give you a film that makes you go "huh?" I hope. It features an Oscar winner, a Grammy winners, a Christian rapper, a Billboard #1 artist, an Emmy winner, a Golden girl, and a guy who performed with Bob Dylan

Hide contents

91VuhFAPXIL._SY445_.jpg

I have actually seen this!! It's been years because I rented it from Blockbuster

• Like 4

On 5/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, Cameron H. said:

That’s fine with me 😀

Also would you  guys be ok with maybe watching full on Broadway shows? I know some of them have done cast recordings because I've seen a few on PBS. If I can find ones like that that are short maybe we can enjoy the theater and feel cultured!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

Also would you  guys be ok with maybe watching full on Broadway shows? I know some of them have done cast recordings because I've seen a few on PBS. If I can find ones like that that are short maybe we can enjoy the theater and feel cultured!

I'm find with that. I really loved Passing Strange we did not so long ago and that was a filmed Broadway show. Only thing I will add is I might (I'll speak for all non-US people) have a hard time getting some of them.  If it's on YouTube or Vimeo or something like that, but streaming here isn't always the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cam Bert said:

I'm find with that. I really loved Passing Strange we did not so long ago and that was a filmed Broadway show. Only thing I will add is I might (I'll speak for all non-US people) have a hard time getting some of them.  If it's on YouTube or Vimeo or something like that, but streaming here isn't always the same.

Omg guess what, I saw Oklahoma and Rebecca Naomi Jones from Passing Strange was in it 😍

• Like 3

18 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

I would really like that! I think maybe a non musical theme per month or something would be neat. I know and there are some iconic movie soundtracks that go with non musical movies. I think @taylorannephoto mentioned that when we talked about it in a mini episode. So I would really like to explore that too . How music plays a part in film.

In this week's episode of I Hate It But I Love It (another great podcast) they talked about Practical Magic which is a personal favorite. They mentioned something I had never noticed until then but the music choices are either full on literal with Faith Hill's This Kiss playing when Sally kisses her soon to be husband or just off for the scene like in the exorcism where they thought it should have been more dramatic and scary. I would never have noticed because I've been watching it since I was a kid and I fully admit I have rose colored glasses when it comes to this film but they brought up great points! So that's something I wonder about other movies. LIke I know that Home Alone had an AMAZING score and just... The music adds depth to they film you know?

So  now I wonder if bad movie music is a new trope to look for (Usually if I hear that sexy 80's jazz sax I worry) or if good music means that your in good hands? 

I know this isn't the point, but I LOVE Practical Magic. 

• Like 1

I came real close to picking Scott Pilgrim because it's soundtrack is so ingrained into the makeup of that film. 

Also, I neglected to mention The Fighting Temptations is available for free on TUBI which I have never used, sorry guys :D 

• Like 3

Btw - this is currently on Tubi. It’s free but has commercials :) 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:52 AM, Cameron H. said:

Btw - this is currently on Tubi. It’s free but has commercials :) 

ahem

On 5/16/2019 at 3:23 PM, EvRobert said:

I came real close to picking Scott Pilgrim because it's soundtrack is so ingrained into the makeup of that film. 

Also, I neglected to mention The Fighting Temptations is available for free on TUBI which I have never used, sorry guys :D 

14 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

(I'm kidding fyi)

No, it’s cool. I thought someone had said something but when I went back I couldn’t find the post. I must have glossed over it :)