🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Wien

Escape From L.A. (1996)

I remember seeing the trailer for this before Mission Impossible. I thought this looks cool. Not knowing it was going to be the same plot frame as the first one. It's still a cool movie.

Escape From New York death sport scene is great and a big fight.

2006586_orig.jpg?285

Escape From LA death sport not so cool and feels lame.

Escape22.jpg

A few of the suggestions have been done by another film-based podcast (Film Sack, four hosts, a tad nerdier). This is one of those films but the HDTGM guys would have a completely different perspective. Cameo by Bruce Campbell!

A few of the suggestions have been done by another film-based podcast (Film Sack, four hosts, a tad nerdier). This is one of those films but the HDTGM guys would have a completely different perspective. Cameo by Bruce Campbell!

Hey Rafterian, I see that you're based out of my hometown. Going by your screen name - which sounds close to someone I used to know from there - you don't happen to be an ex-pro skateboarder?

Hey Rafterian, I see that you're based out of my hometown. Going by your screen name - which sounds close to someone I used to know from there - you don't happen to be an ex-pro skateboarder?

I am not but I believe I know an ex-pro skateboarder with my last name who is not (somehow) related to me. We have the same group of friends and, when I discovered his last name, I immediately lost my mind.

I am not but I believe I know an ex-pro skateboarder with my last name who is not (somehow) related to me. We have the same group of friends and, when I discovered his last name, I immediately lost my mind.

That's pretty amazing, actually. How are you guys not related? It a very cool, yet uncommon last name.

How are things in Sac? My mom told me they tore down the movie domes on Arden and the Spirit of Sacramento sunk/burned. That town can never catch a break.

How are things in Sac?

yeah. that happened about a year or so ago. Made me pretty sad but there are other theaters to check out nearby. I sent you a message via earwolf so we can keep the forum more on-topic.

They almost made Escape From Earth. They almost made a Snake anime movie with Kurt Russel doing the voice. They almost made a video game for PS2. But all of these ideas dropped after producer Debra Hill died.

I read somewhere that Ghosts of Mars, another HDTGM contender, was originally the proposed third Escape From... film.

After Escape From LA bombed, the third film was scrapped but Carpenter took the bones of that film and made Ghosts. Snake Plissken was changed to Desolation Williams.

Needless to say, Ice Cube is no Kurt Russell.

It's odd looking back on this movie now with there being tie-in graphic novels to both Escape From New York and Big Trouble In Little China and the writing for both of them are far superior to this. Though it is weird that there is a crossover book coming up where Jack Burton and Plissken meet up.

It's odd looking back on this movie now with there being tie-in graphic novels to both Escape From New York and Big Trouble In Little China and the writing for both of them are far superior to this. Though it is weird that there is a crossover book coming up where Jack Burton and Plissken meet up.

Even the Snake Plissken Chronicles comic was better.

Even the Snake Plissken Chronicles comic was better.

Metal Gear Solid (which came out the same year, I think) shamelessly ripped off Escape From NY and was still way better.

I kind of love this movie. Basically just a remake of the original with a little of that Big Trouble In Little China silliness mixed in.

Yes please! I went as Snake Pliskon for Halloween one year (I'm a woman) and my husband refused to kiss me while I had my moustache on. My favorite part though is the whole Bruce Campbell Plastic Surgeon of Beverly Hills. Seems not too far off.

I just re-watched this for the first time since it was in theaters. It would be defensible as a kind of Crank-style gonzo self-satire for the colorful design, the crazy action ideas and the way it openly acknowledges that it's just teeing up story beats from the original to do again, only more ridiculous - the death of Valeria Golina's character is played as a straight up punchline....except so much of it just feels so damned LAZY. Kurt Russell seems like he's moving at half speed most of the time, and Cuervo Jones is like the most half-assed supervillain I've ever seen - from what I can tell, the furthest the writers went in crafting his character is "Ummmm, let's go Latino, okay? SAVE AND PRINT." He's so lame that Snake doesn't even bother to kill him. Buscemi kills him. STEVE BUSCEMI KILLS THE BAD GUY.

The best part, though, was seeing Cuervo seduce the President's daughter using What the 90's Thought Snapchat Would Be Like.

The comic book that came out with the movie. That had no tie into the movie.

marvel-the-adventures-of-snake-plissken-issue-1.jpg

This was riiiiiiight before Marvel went into their bankruptcy, as the people running the company at the time were making all sorts of ill-advised purchases and partnerships, including this deal with Paramount, which I think MAY have resulted in a total of two comics that tied into their properties. There was this one, and then a Mission: Impossible one-shot the same year, which I only remember for some shitty Liefeld story. (EDIT: Holy shit, I completely forgot about the line of Star Trek comics they also did, including some crossovers with the X-Men. Anywho...). Years later though, it would be Paramount that distributed the first wave of MCU movies, so the relationship EVENTUALLY paid off.