🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 69 Girls! Girls! Girls!

More like, Boats! Boats! Boats! amiright?

We watched:

Girls_Girls_Girls.jpg

• Like 2

I liked the movie overall.  It's strange but this had more of a "believable" plot for me than Blue Hawaii.  I could see him working on a boat and wanting his own someday to the point of trying any moneymaking venture in order to fulfill his dream.  I liked Laurel in  general when she was taunting him or keeping him at bay but I didn't see her as a lover.  That this was her first film wasn't obvious but showed here and there.  According to the IMDB trivia Stella Stevens refused (maybe refuses?) to watch this film.  I can sympathize.  She was wasted and should have had the bigger part and she lost out to the ingenue. 🙂

• Like 5

My only real critical note is Mr. Johnson. (Surprisingly his character was a dick. A triumph of nominative determinism.)  I didn't mind the plot overall and liked his "He reminds me of me" shtick but the turn at the end was too abrupt for me.  It was part of the deus ex machina thrown in near the end to bring the plot to a conclusion.

• Like 3

I remember when Cameron first reviewed the movie he mentioned there were only two girls in Girls! Girls! Girls! Well, need I remind us that boats and ships are female and his true love was his boat so I guess that makes it the third girl in Girls! Girls! Girls!

• Like 5

It was weird how much more I enjoyed this on my second viewing. I even ended up bumping it up a few notches on my Elvis List.

I’m also fascinated by the idea of hat stores offering to set up accounts. That is intriguing...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

It was weird how much more I enjoyed this on my second viewing. I even ended up bumping it up a few notches on my Elvis List.

I’m also fascinated by the idea of hat stores offering to set up accounts. That is intriguing...

I'm sure Irene Molloy will be able to answer any questions you may have.  All it will cost you is a dinner at the Harmonia Gardens.

(KGrqR,!pE8Vh2ttU)BT4po8ks!~~60_57.JPG.j

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Speaking of second viewings I will do a Rabbit showing at 9 p.m. Eastern tonight if anyone missed the movie.  I also am apologizing for missing Friday night.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I get that. I mean the story is rather simple and straight forward and I think when you put that aside you can focus on the weirder aspects of the story which makes it a bit more enjoyable.

For example, he's like a son to TWO families? Which one do you think he loves more?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cam Bert said:

I get that. I mean the story is rather simple and straight forward and I think when you put that aside you can focus on the weirder aspects of the story which makes it a bit more enjoyable.

For example, he's like a son to TWO families? Which one do you think he loves more?

I think it’s equal. I mean, the Chen’s took him in after his father died so I’m sure he really cares for them. 

BTW - does anyone else like going outside and watching thunderstorms? I love the rain (I just realized I was beginning to write the lyrics for “Escape (The Pina Colada Song”))

• Like 3

My favorite line is from Laurel when she’s mocking Elvis and says, “I hope you’re not dreary about money. ‘We’ll go where I can afford or we won’t go at all!’”

Um...yeah. We’re going to go where I can afford because I’m fiscally responsible.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I think it’s equal. I mean, the Chen’s took him in after his father died so I’m sure he really cares for them. 

BTW - does anyone else like going outside and watching thunderstorms? I love the rain (I just realized I was beginning to write the lyrics for “Escape (The Pina Colada Song”))

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I remember when Cameron first reviewed the movie he mentioned there were only two girls in Girls! Girls! Girls! Well, need I remind us that boats and ships are female and his true love was his boat so I guess that makes it the third girl in Girls! Girls! Girls!

Not to be argumentative I would put the boat first and the actual girls jockeying for second.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Plus, with the Greek family there is a work side to it as well.

I find thunderstorms to be exciting. Walks in the rain, only if voluntary. Trying to get from the station to my house on a rainy day is annoying, but if I'm at home and it starts sure sounds like fun.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Not to be argumentative I would put the boat first and the actual girls jockeying for second.

He’s horny for that boat.

It’s actually kind of crazy he gives it up in the end. Like the moral isn’t “It’s okay to accept help from time to time to achieve your dreams” but “If your dreams require someone else then it’s better to just let them go.”

• Like 4

Just now, Cam Bert said:

Plus, with the Greek family there is a work side to it as well.

OMG! I forgot about the Greek family! They just disappear after the party, don’t they?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

First Girl! is the boat. Second is shrimp, and the third are the two blondes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

He’s horny for that boat.

It’s actually kind of crazy he gives it up in the end. Like the moral isn’t “It’s okay to accept help from time to time to achieve your dreams” but “If your dreams require someone else then it’s better to just let them go.”

I like My Cousin Vinny for the lesson part.  Especially when Mona Lisa turns it around at the end.  "Yeah, you think I'm gonna marry you."  "You're saying you aren't?" "No way, you can't win a case without help!"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

OMG! I forgot about the Greek family! They just disappear after the party, don’t they?

They went off to the fabled land of Arizona which despite being an American state may or may not speak English.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Duh they moved to Arizona.  For their health?!?!  Hawaii's climate wasn't good enough? (I assume the movie is in Hawaii.)

Edit: @Cam Bert beat me to the Arizona part and said it better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

So where does the tuna come in?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Duh they moved to Arizona.  For their health?!?!  Hawaii's climate wasn't good enough? (I assume the movie is in Hawaii.)

Edit: @Cam Bert beat me to the Arizona part and said it better.

OK.  It definitely wasn't Hawaii.  Somewhere warm though where Louisiana is a dream place to go to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

So where does the tuna come in?

Tuna doesn’t rate a single song, so...pretty low 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Tuna doesn’t rate a single song, so...pretty low 😃

Serious question: We're Comin' in Loaded isn't the tuna song?  What are they pulling in then?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Serious question: We're Comin' in Loaded isn't the tuna song?  What are they pulling in then?

Man, I feel like I wasn’t paying attention! You’re right. That’s a song about tuna fish. 😜

• Like 1