🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Episode 217 - Jaws 3-D

15 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I found it odd that we do not get much closure on several of the film’s characters (unless I just wasn’t paying close enough attention).

Does Louis Gossett Jr. live?  Last I recall seeing of him was when he was swimming to safety after the shark crashed through the control room.

And why no final scene involving the other Brody son?  Last we saw of him was going with Lea Thomson to the hospital.  Did she survive her injuries?  Why not give us a scene of the Brody boys at the hospital commenting on how this keeps happening to them?  (And then have a shark dressed in a doctor’s coat try to attack them again)

tenor.gif?itemid=5334944

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

First, the admission. I too, was fascinated by soap opera kissing as a young boy AND practiced on my mom. So Paul, you are not alone!! Well maybe 4 or 5 times until my mom put the brakes on it.

Now the omission! Paul, what research were you going to share with us before Jason and June’s ridiculing made you give up? I’m dying to know!

• Like 3

Did anyone else catch the shirt the one tourist is wearing when the underwater tunnel begins to flood?  I screencapped it here.  "Let A Gargoyle Sit On Your Face."  My girlfriend caught it and we are both still so confused by it:  what does that even mean?  Is the guy supposed to be the gargoyle?  And, most importantly, there's no way that the Costume Department gave him THAT shirt so how did no one make him take it off?

Let A Gargoyle Sit On Your Face (Jaws 3).jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

I found it odd that we do not get much closure on several of the film’s characters (unless I just wasn’t paying close enough attention).

Does Louis Gossett Jr. live?  Last I recall seeing of him was when he was swimming to safety after the shark crashed through the control room.

And why no final scene involving the other Brody son?  Last we saw of him was going with Lea Thomson to the hospital.  Did she survive her injuries?  Why not give us a scene of the Brody boys at the hospital commenting on how this keeps happening to them?  (And then have a shark dressed in a doctor’s coat try to attack them again)

I assume Lea Thomson survived said Fuck This! And fled to what she thought was the relative safety the landlocked Cleveland to take up her true  passions: music and duck fucking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neilicus said:

Did anyone else catch the shirt the one tourist is wearing when the underwater tunnel begins to flood?  I screencapped it here.  "Let A Gargoyle Sit On Your Face."  My girlfriend caught it and we are both still so confused by it:  what does that even mean?  Is the guy supposed to be the gargoyle?  And, most importantly, there's no way that the Costume Department gave him THAT shirt so how did no one make him take it off?

Let A Gargoyle Sit On Your Face (Jaws 3).jpg

Doing a quick search, I discovered that this is in reference to Gargoyle sunglasses, which had this as their slogan.  A shirt with this phrase is also seen in Say Anything (I hope Paul discusses that on Unspooled).

The sunglasses gained popularity when Arnold wore a pair of them in The Terminator.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

I assume Lea Thomson survived said Fuck This! And fled to what she thought was the relative safety the landlocked Cleveland to take up her true  passions: music and duck fucking.

I had a similar thought!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 2:09 AM, Robert Denby said:

There’s a fingertip heart rate tester in the bar. I assume it’s there for safety reasons, in case a game of stand-off gets out of hand.

4F055CA4-E4E6-424C-8EA5-BECAB1F823AD.jpeg

So, I only vaguely remember these so anyone feel free to add/correct but...

I remember these being in malls in the 80's. You put in a quarter and insert your finger to measure your heart rate. Depending on the number, I think they were supposed to tell you something about yourself like your mood. As a little girl I was fascinated by them, but I don't fully remember why they were there. 

• Like 2

Sorry if this has already been pointed out: In the final shot of the film, yes, anyone can clearly see the dolphins are badly superimposed over the footage of the actors, but did you guys notice, they didn't even bother to film both dolphins? They filmed one dolphin, and copy/paste/flipped it to get the other dolphin. Through the whole action of them rising up, they, complete with the water splashes, are a perfect mirror image of each other!

1952752634_ScreenShot2019-07-10at10_24_14AM.png.0cfe96f796fcf529e2ca44d1b1783e8f.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I like how Roy Scheider is reputed to have made Blue Thunder just to make sure he wasn't available for Jaws 3

On 7/9/2019 at 7:07 PM, WatchOutForSnakes said:

So, I only vaguely remember these so anyone feel free to add/correct but...

I remember these being in malls in the 80's. You put in a quarter and insert your finger to measure your heart rate. Depending on the number, I think they were supposed to tell you something about yourself like your mood. As a little girl I was fascinated by them, but I don't fully remember why they were there. 

That looks like a Biorhythm machine!

On 7/10/2019 at 12:37 PM, Cockney Mackem said:

I like how Roy Scheider is reputed to have made Blue Thunder just to make sure he wasn't available for Jaws 3

Yeah, well, if he hadn’t made Jaws ll then we would not have had to endure Jaws lll.

• Like 1

Hopefully the gang gets round to doing Jaws The Revenge as well, because that takes bad film-making to an unprecedented, operatic level of shit. The shark is after the Brodies. How does a shark know the Brody brother works for Amity Police, and that he's on duty that night and will come to clear the trap at the harbour? How does the shark know that the other Brody brother works in the Caribbean, and that the Mum is going to fly down there? The shark is *waiting for her* when she gets there - does it have access to airline passenger manifests? Can it use a computer?

I have a theory that in Jaws The Revenge the shark is in some kind of aquatic FBI and the Brody family are the antagonists. The first shark was unethically hunted by the Chief and his accomplice with the fishing boat. The second was investigating that murder and was electrocuted in a murderous cover up with the help of a complicit Amity community.

In Jaws 3, another shark is investigating this seagoing crime family, and stumbles on the rampant animal cruelty and exploitation at Sea World, and not only pays with her life trying to expose it but her child dies at well.

Jaws The Revenge is in fact a downbeat policier following a relentless shark FBI agent who won't rest until the Brodies pay for their crimes. He's crossing all sorts of lines because THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL. His captain at the precinct says "That's it Jaws, you're too emotionally involved, I'm taking you off the case." "God dammit Cap, not when I'm this close!" "OK Jaws, you've got 24 hours, and if you're wrong it's your dorsal fin in the fire..." In the end there is no justice for the sharks because the humans are too powerful and ruthless. Forget it Jaws, it's Chinatown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cockney Mackem said:

Hopefully the gang gets round to doing Jaws The Revenge as well, because that takes bad film-making to an unprecedented, operatic level of shit. The shark is after the Brodies. How does a shark know the Brody brother works for Amity Police, and that he's on duty that night and will come to clear the trap at the harbour? How does the shark know that the other Brody brother works in the Caribbean, and that the Mum is going to fly down there? The shark is *waiting for her* when she gets there - does it have access to airline passenger manifests? Can it use a computer?

I have a theory that in Jaws The Revenge the shark is in some kind of aquatic FBI and the Brody family are the antagonists. The first shark was unethically hunted by the Chief and his accomplice with the fishing boat. The second was investigating that murder and was electrocuted in a murderous cover up with the help of a complicit Amity community.

In Jaws 3, another shark is investigating this seagoing crime family, and stumbles on the rampant animal cruelty and exploitation at Sea World, and not only pays with her life trying to expose it but her child dies at well.

Jaws The Revenge is in fact a downbeat policier following a relentless shark FBI agent who won't rest until the Brodies pay for their crimes. He's crossing all sorts of lines because THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL. His captain at the precinct says "That's it Jaws, you're too emotionally involved, I'm taking you off the case." "God dammit Cap, not when I'm this close!" "OK Jaws, you've got 24 hours, and if you're wrong it's your dorsal fin in the fire..." In the end there is no justice for the sharks because the humans are too powerful and ruthless. Forget it Jaws, it's Chinatown.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/jaws-4-the-revenge/

18 hours ago, Cockney Mackem said:

I remember when I was a kid, visiting my grandmother's house and looking through some of her old Reader's Digest Condensed Books. One of them was Jaws or a sequel to Jaws, and while I can't guarantee this is accurate at all, I have either a memory of a fever dream of reading a scene in that book from the shark's point of view, and it does indeed want revenge for the death of its babies. And sharks can smell pretty well I guess? The implication was that the shark somehow imprinted on its nemesis like a werewolf with a vampire baby.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 3:44 PM, Crummy Scrimmage said:

Also, I don't like when they rag on Paul for his childhood asides. He obviously tells the stories because he knows they are funny and/or odd, but then he's made to feel bad about it. He just sounds like he was a kid with an over-active imagination. 

I thought their reaction to his "drunk on root beer" story was odd for that reason.  Sounds like standard kid stuff to me, and in the hands of a natural performer like Paul, probably pretty funny.

Oh, and fanny packs, Jason?  What's next, are you gonna start wearing shorts to shows?