🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanRMC

Hackers

After watching the wonderful Trainspotting again this week, I was reminded of another classic starring Sick Boy himself, Johnny Lee Miller. 1995's 'Hackers', telling the story of an 3133+ group of 'superhackers' who must use their computer savvy to clear their names and stop a computer virus from running wild.

Rollerblades, shitty clothing and bad techo-talk abound in this ludicrous interpritation of mid-90's computer culture. The one high spot? Seeing Angelina Jolie's nipple for .5 seconds. The low spots? Just about everything else.

• Like 2

I want to second this movie suggestion. It's really so bad that's it's awesome.

If you thought the bars in Pluto Nash and Barb Wire were crazy, wait until you see the skatepark/video game club that hackers frequent.

Ah yes, the mid-90s, when Hollywood screenwriters' idea of someone that was really good with computers was someone that looked like Angelina Jolie or Sandra Bullock. Yes, more like Beyonce Knowles than HARRY Knowles.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that rollerblading was a HUGE part of this movie and hacking was portrayed the same way as every movie in the 90s from Jurassic Park to Johnny Mnemonic where hacking was like playing a video game or had cute images guiding you.

I'm most impressed that Jeff Goldblum was able to shut down an advanced alien race's defenses with a Macbook in 1996. And of course, there was like a laughing skull and crossbones or something when the virus was delivered, because the aliens know what that means...

How bout the big titted woman that flashed Travolta when disabled the bomb in Face Off.

I LOVE Hackers! It's one of those movies I will always end up watching if its on TV (another being the classic Encino Man). So many great quotes can be pulled from this movie, and it probably has the most realistic depiction of hacking ever. Like ever, that's totally how you hack, by rollerblading everywhere and hiding floppy disks in that place you put that thing that time.

• Like 4

This would be a really fun HDTGM. This movie is so stupid, but at the same time so proud of it.

This is a 90s teenage culture-defining piece of pop entertainment along the likes of Clueless and My So-Called Life. I LOVE IT!

That said, yes, it would make for a fun episode because the plot is ridiculous and obviously written by people who didn't actually understand how computers work. Plus you get an inexplicable Penn Jilette cameo!

Also, I'd love to talk about why almost all of Lorraine Bracco's dialog seems to be ADR'd.

Sorry, I'm watching this right now and had forgotten some of the nutty dialog.

'Check out that refresh rate!'

'That has a 28kbps modem!'

'It does have a PCI bus'

It's like someone just opened a PC repair guide and created dialog from it.

• Like 2

I WANT HDTGM? TO DO HACKERS AND THIS IS THE PROPER THREAD FOR ME TO EXPRESS THIS OPINION!

• Like 2

I agree. this movie should be done. would be great if they could get Kevin Mitnick as a guest host. he could tell some stores about his life and times of phone hacking.

• Like 1

Guys this movie with Thomas Middleitch as guest.

MAKE THIS SHIT HAPPEN.

That would be a dream!!! Points to you for coming up with the perfect guest for this lovable mess of a movie!

I miss Fisher Stevens being in campy nonsense movies like this and Short Circuit 2.

Ah brownface Oscar winner Fisher Stevens, how we miss thee.

fisher_stevens.jpg

Its pretty nuts they decided that putting a Jewish actor in brown face was better than casting an actual indian actor or at the very least a Cliff Curtis type of guy who can naturally pull off the part without the need for a borderline racist makeup job.

Also the 3d representation of what that companys operating system looked like was fucking next level crazy.

• Like 1

Bump. This movie is the most 90's movie ever. I saw it in 10th grade geometry in '99. Now it's on Netflix. Embrace the irony.

• Like 1

1000 times YES this movie. Kind of like The Room in that it's so terrible and SO convinced it's cool, plus the whole floppy disk Taxi Driver scene was unforgettable. Am I going to draw ire by drawing a comparison between this movie and The Room? I hope not. Not nearly the level of batshit crazy of Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece, just similar in its amazingly misguided confidence.

• Like 1

I love this fucking movie. It came out when I was ten. I'm 30 now. I am not exaggerating when I say that I've seen this movie at least 200 times. I think I'll be hurt if they do this movie.

Sign in to follow this