🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 218 - Deadfall (w/ Chelsea Peretti)

7 hours ago, Cockney Mackem said:

This may not be either a correction or an omission but I found a nice snippet in an interview with Michael Biehn about the film. He said he only got the part because Val Kilmer pulled out, and clearly Kilmer was wise to pull out. He summarised the film by saying "that's the Nicolas Cage you get when you don't ask him to pull it back a little bit." 😆

Joanne Whalley was also going to play Diane, but she too pulled out along with her then-husband. If things had been different, there would've been a Navy SEALs reunion between Whalley, Michael Biehn and Charlie Sheen!

• Like 2

I wonder if Nick Cage ever thought about taking his brother aside during filming and telling him, “I’ve worked with David Lynch, and Chris, you’re no David Lynch.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Robert Denby said:

I wonder if Nick Cage ever thought about taking his brother aside during filming and telling him, “I’ve worked with David Lynch, and Chris, you’re no David Lynch.”

Watching the movie now I get the strong impression that Christoper watched Wild At Heart and wanted to do the same thing, but noir.

• Like 1

Oh, one cool thing about this movie is seeing Sarah Trigger. She was in PCU with Jeremy Piven, which is not aging well as you can probably imagine, and she was in one of the greatest TV crime dramas of all time, the short-lived EZ Streets by Paul Haggis, starring Ken Olin, Joey Pants, and Jason Gedrick. Hey Netflix, there's a show that should be revived and resolved!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Watching the movie now I get the strong impression that Christoper watched Wild At Heart and wanted to do the same thing, but noir.

I get the impression that Chris might not have had a firm grasp on “film noir.”

774A5CA6-A3AB-4F6D-A7D4-5E03E67CAE38.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Robert Denby said:

I get the impression that Chris might not have had a firm grasp on “film noir.”

774A5CA6-A3AB-4F6D-A7D4-5E03E67CAE38.jpeg

Wow. Just out of curiosity, what did Guy Fieri look like in 1993?

Also, just watched the merry go round scene and it was much more enjoyable once I replaced James Coburn with Trump and Michael Biehn with Eric Trump.

• Like 1

Compared to “Deadfall,” Nick Cage’s performance in “Vampire’s Kiss” was subtle and nuanced. 

• Like 3

Can someone explain what game Fats and Joe are playing? There seems to be only three balls on the table at any time. Also, it appears there are no pockets on the table. And near the end of the game, Joe hits the cue ball, but when the table is shown, the yellow ball is moving and the cue ball is sitting next to the red ball. I was very confused. 

2DFD373A-E280-4962-BEB4-0F41273BD274.jpeg

God, I’d really love to be a part of this conversation. Unfortunately, even though the movie was less than two hours long, I was somehow unable to finish it before my rental period ended. To be clear, I had ample time to watch it. I just couldn’t watch more than three minutes at a time due to apathy. I finished a bunch of sudoku puzzles though...

• Haha 1

At the very real risk of overly repeating myself, I’m providing the link to the “Nicolas Cage cut” of Deadfall. I’ve posted it elsewhere, but perhaps here it will gain new appreciation. It is 30 minutes that contain all of his performance and enough of the plot so his scenes are ... I was going to say comprehensible, but that simply is the wrong word.

The rest of the film sounds like straight-up garbage. I have only watched this and it was more than enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Oh, one cool thing about this movie is seeing Sarah Trigger. She was in PCU with Jeremy Piven, which is not aging well as you can probably imagine, and she was in one of the greatest TV crime dramas of all time, the short-lived EZ Streets by Paul Haggis, starring Ken Olin, Joey Pants, and Jason Gedrick. Hey Netflix, there's a show that should be revived and resolved!

Yes! I kept seeing her as her character from PCU. I'm glad someone else mentioned it. I really liked her character in that. Here... not so much.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:43 PM, doxrus said:

During the showdown with Lou, why does Joe turn on the carousel? He does it quite deftly, barely looking at the power switch, as if he'd been planning it all along, and knows exactly where the switch is located. Is it really that simple and easy to turn a carousel on and off? And if he had wanted to shoot Lou, it would have been much easier when he was standing still, right in front of him, not on a turning carousel surrounded by moving horses.

My daughter rides the carousel at our local zoo all the time, and the guy there just turns it on with a foot switch. Seems that lever might just be a case of typical Hollywood over-dramatization.

19 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

He should've added the line, "This ill-fitting toupee is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom to look completely foolish."

19 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I love PCU. Sarah Trigger was also one of the Princesses from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

MV5BNzI3YjMwYjQtOTA3Yy00ZThlLWE4ZGQtYjdh

• Like 3

During the scene when Eddie finds out that Joe paid Baby's debt with his own money and screams "FUUUUUUCK!" in the middle of the strip club, did anyone else see the guy wearing the T-shirt that says "Fuck" sitting on a stool behind him?

420414973_ScreenShot2019-07-21at7_09_47PM.jpg.25102209776c22f532009d8a5c69d477.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:03 PM, Cockney Mackem said:

This may not be either a correction or an omission but I found a nice snippet in an interview with Michael Biehn about the film. He said he only got the part because Val Kilmer pulled out, and clearly Kilmer was wise to pull out. He summarised the film by saying "that's the Nicolas Cage you get when you don't ask him to pull it back a little bit." 😆

Maaaaaan... this movie would have been so much more famous and arguably so much more... watchable if Val Kilmer was Joe. He would have raised the insanity level, which his honestly what this film needs. 

On 7/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, Cameron H. said:

God, I’d really love to be a part of this conversation. Unfortunately, even though the movie was less than two hours long, I was somehow unable to finish it before my rental period ended. To be clear, I had ample time to watch it. I just couldn’t watch more than three minutes at a time due to apathy. I finished a bunch of sudoku puzzles though...

So I bought this dumb movie because it was the same price as renting it... and I said to myself "It can't be that bad." Anyhoo... If anyone wants to Rabbit this thing one evening this week I'll host.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PollyDarton said:

Anyhooďťż... Ifďťż ďťżanyone wants to Rabbit this thing one evening this week I'll hoďťżst

Sad news - it looks like Rabbit is in the process of being closed down :( 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, PollyDarton said:

Ok - So help me out guys...

Who is Sam Peckinpah? That's the beardy guy? Eddie is mumbling something about "Sam Peckinpah" before he talks to the large man he refers to as "Baby" in the strip club (right before the beardy guy tries to garret him in the alley.)
I know they brought him up in the episode, but did anybody catch what that was all about?

They hypothesize on the podcast that he was paid by the uncle (or maybe the father, as it works out) to do ... something something. As far as I could tell, his role is never really clarified.

Sam Peckinpah is a director. He made westerns, like The Wild Bunch, so that was not actually that guys name. Eddie was talking about Sam Peckinpah in the bar, beard guy heard him, and then told Eddie that was his name as a little "go fuck yourself" line to go out on, I guess.

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

Sad news - it looks like Rabbit is in the process of being closed down :( 

It looks to be currently up and running at the moment. I just googled it and didn't see anything? What info do you have?

• Like 1

Potentially a tiny omission: Noted Kaufman-obsessive Jim Carrey appeared in “Peggy Sue Got Married” with Nicolas Cage, whereupon the two became good friends. Considering the uncanny similarity in Tony Clifton’s and Eddie King’s appearance, and the stubbornly hammy, performative way that both mock and abuse everyone they talk to....it seems highly likely that Eddie King was Cage’s tribute to his buddy’s favorite impression (that I can only imagine Carrey foisted on EVERYBODY at EVERY opportunity until they finally let him do it in a movie.)

0DB895AC-B5F6-4C1C-8518-C3EBDE2155DF.jpeg

D3475D42-926D-42EF-AEF9-D09A5C8B29E1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PollyDarton said:

Maaaaaan... this movie would have been so much more famous and arguably so much more... watchable if Val Kilmer was Joe. He would have raised the insanity level, which his honestly what this film needs. 

So I bought this dumb movie because it was the same price as renting it... and I said to myself "It can't be that bad." Anyhoo... If anyone wants to Rabbit this thing one evening this week I'll host.

I would have enjoyed it if Val Kilmer had played the part as his character from Alexander, including costume eyepatch, exclaiming oaths to Zeus and dodgy Irish accent

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 2:06 PM, grudlian. said:

It's kind of a shame that boxofficemojo.com doesn't keep track of The Room still. There are midnight shows selling out around the country every week. If we're going to keep track of Avatar or End Game re-releases, it seems fair that the presumably millions The Room has technically made should be counted as well. 

Agreed.  My local theater up in Philadelphia is showing it again on August 9th.  The last time I went they had multiple screens because of the demand.

• Like 1