đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Gordon Shumway

The Fanatic (2019)

I am not sure if this is the next comeback for or the death note for John Travolta.

John Travolta plays a super crazy, possibly autistic (??), possibly developmentally disabled super fan named Moose..yes, Moose.  He wears horrible floral shirts, shorts, and a backpack.  He has a half bowl cut (cut waaaaaaay too high above the ears) half mullet hair cut.  He is super obsessed with an actor, played by Devon Sawa (of Final Destination and Idol Hands "fame").  He stutters and sways and rocks and whines.  Ugh, so bad.  To top it all off...it is co-written and directed by Fred.Effing.Durst.  AND, there is a whole scene where Devon's character is with his kid in the car jamming to a Limp Bizkit song.  I cannot WAIT to hear your take on this one.  :-)

Travolta Hair.png

Travolta.png

This does look terrible. Honestly, I still like John Travolta (and if you hold Scientology against him, he’s WAY less shady than Tom Cruise) and so I just have no desire to see him debase himself this way. I’d watch Gotti, though.:)

• Like 1

Yea his current run of paycheck movies is a bummer, I recently re-watched american crime story and I still love his insane performance as Robert Shapiro. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

This does look terrible. Honestly, I still like John Travolta (and if you hold Scientology against him, he’s WAY less shady than Tom Cruise) and so I just have no desire to see him debase himself this way. I’d watch Gotti, though.:)

I love John Travolta as well...have since I was a kid and saw Grease.  I just wish he would start picking better movies and directors that lead him down the correct path.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

Yea his current run of paycheck movies is a bummer, I recently re-watched american crime story and I still love his insane performance as Robert Shapiro. 

American Crime Story was unexpectedly GREAT from top to bottom. I really enjoyed his performance in that, too.

Plus, on a personal level, I have seizures. The fact that his son died in a pool while having a seizure is fucking heartbreaking.

Honestly, I think ANYONE who is in a potential HDTGM film who has had a kid die should get a free pass on getting bad-mouthed. It just seems mean and in poor taste.

That being said, it seems like Gotti (which I haven’t seen) has SO MUCH MORE to laugh at than Travolta—like its aspirations to be of Goodfellas/Godfather-type stature—that it might be worth a watch. 

36 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Plus, on a personal level, I have seizures. The fact that his son died in a pool while having a seizure is fucking heartbreaking.

Agreed.  The fact that his son was autistic should have also made him pass on this movie, or at least pass on the idea of playing it like he was autistic.  And, not just autistic, but the Dustin Hoffman Rain Man version.  Not at all what autism looks like.

• Like 1

This is streaming on Amazon. 

Holy fuck... this movie is like if someone watched Nightcrawler, Big Fan, and Rain Man and then huffed spray paint and tried to transcribe them all from memory into one voltron-esque turd smoothie.

Let’s put aside Travolta’s ridiculous performance and appearance for a moment. A few highlights include: 

-Travolta dressed as an English Bobby with a fake mustache doing a bad British accent.

-A gratuitous Limp Bizket plug from director Fred Durst.

-Travolta riding on a scooter with a Scientology sign in the background and then crashing on said scooter.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:37 PM, GrahamS. said:

That being said, it seems like Gotti (which I haven’t seen) has SO MUCH MORE to laugh at than Travolta—like its aspirations to be of Goodfellas/Godfather-type stature—that it might be worth a watch. 

Gotti is amazingly bad and great for the show given how it was a dream project of Travolta's, which is almost a sure sign the movie will be a dumpster fire. Considering it too is on Prime for free, these two movies should be a live show double feature.

• Like 1

I'm five minutes into this and already I know this has to be covered by the show Travolta's first line being "I'm sorry I can't talk long, I have to poo." Also if this is the original content that Redbox is starting to finance and produce, I don't think they are going to become the media juggernaut that Netflix is.

Nicole Byer talked about this movie on her "Best Friends" podcast with Sasheer Zamata today. It definitely sounded HDTGM worthy.

A plug for the competition ( sorry ), the Flop House already covered it ( With Adal Rifai from Hello From The Magic Tavern ), and their take is " Oooof ". It kinda put me off seeing the film tbh.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, Omaxem said:

A plug for the competition ( sorry ), the Flop House already covered it ( With Adal Rifai from Hello From The Magic Tavern ), and their take is " Oooof ". It kinda put me off seeing the film tbh.

Yeah, I listen to them as well and I am a weirdo who will only listen to the podcast AFTER I watch the movie (I JUST listened to the DDF podcast because I couldn't find it for free and now it's on Hulu...#teamsanity (the little girl says the literal words "drop dead fred did it!") So I tried to watch this movie but literally could not get through more than 10 minutes of him as a person with autism. I had to read the wiki because the shame/embarrassment I felt for him (not his character) with that insane mullet wig was tooooo much.. Also,  Devon Sawa?!?! I couldn't even make it to his entrance...AND I WATCHED THAT INSANE CLOWN POSSE MOVIE. this movie is my white whale and I will never catch him.

• Like 1

Travolta in crip-face so bad it's hard to find it offensive. He throws every stereotype trait about having a learning impairment into his performance. His character and the character he's stalking are both so creepy and dislikable you're not sure who you're meant to root for. His friend seems to think it's perfectly okay to give him celebrities' addresses even though she knows his obsessive then no-one checks in on him. There's a dead maid in the garden that no-one notices for half the film. Plus, random drawings included between scenes that are not reference at all in the main plot

Its so insane that Travolta's character basically wins the movie at the end. Also its so fucking crazy to see Devon Sawa in this, the last movie I saw him in was Idle Hands.