đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction  

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does Pulp Fiction deserve to be on the list?

• It’s one tasty burger.
    • Naw man, it’s pretty f*ckin’ far from okay.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/02/19 at 07:00 AM

12 hours ago, EvRobert said:

Interestingly, I tried to show Pulp Fiction to my little brother (born in 89, 12 year age difference between us) about 9 years ago, and he was, like others have stated, kind of bored by it. I think if I showed it to him today, the expirence would be different, but as a 21, 22 year old, he wasn't interested, but he loved Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained.

I guess I subscribe to the auteur theory too much, because I think that's weird.

27 minutes ago, DrSofter said:

I can't remember where I heard it but I did a bit of research and it is an interesting theory. One of the chakras is believed to located right at the base of the neck and some ancient Egyptian cultures believed that the soul could be accessed through this "gateway". We see a band-aid at the base of Marsellus's neck in multiple scenes. The theory I remember hearing is that Marsellus's soul was extracted from his body and now resides in the briefcase. Vincent and Jules are charged with the task of returning it to him. 

I've heard Tarantino has said this wasn't it.

I personally like the theory that they were just trying to pick up his stolen breakfast order of an Egg McGuffin.

ETA: Ftr/just to state it - just because the director said that wasn't what intended, doesn't mean it can't be how you interpret it when viewing the movie.

Fabienne is pregnant.  I know this is old hat but I just gotta throw this in the conversation!  That whole potbelly back-and-forth is her first test salvo to reveal a pregnancy or to see if Butch is in a possible mindset to progress their relationship.

It's fun to think Butch has his own fucked up watch story to pass down to his possible child.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:32 AM, Cameron H. said:

Yes! I meant to bring this up as well!

Honestly, all we know about these guys is that they are hit men, that Vincent has been in Amsterdam for three years, and they work different areas of town. They don’t really come off to me as pen pals. To me, they came off more as co-workers.  You try to have an easy relationship with them because if you don’t, it just makes your work life harder. They might have sort of known each other from before Amsterdam, but you wouldn’t exactly call them friends. Even their conversations sounded more like things work acquaintances talk about to kill the time. For example, in my previous job, there were a couple of guys I used to hang out with whenever work was slow. We’d talk about everything - politics, religion, relationships, movies. We all looked out for each other. From the outside, we all seemed pretty close, but as soon as I quit, we all immediately lost touch. 

Vincent and Jules are the guys in the trenches. They respect each other, they like each other, but they’re not close. Vincent doesn’t know Jules doesn’t eat pork. Jules doesn’t seem to be into drugs - beyond maybe pot. Vincent doesn’t know Jules’ friends. They’re cordial with one another because the alternative is to have to work with someone you don’t really like. We tend to unconsciously force these relationships, which can involve real affection, to help keep our sanity in the face of vocational boredom. 

So, yeah, I think their relationship is done well, but not in the way described in the episode. 

To add to this, I actually thought these two were at best acquaintances who were spending the day getting to know each other. When they have that whole conversation about whether a miracle occurred, Vincent seemed completely taken aback by Jules's sincerity. I thought they became close over the course of the movie, but not that they started that way.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 6:33 AM, EvRobert said:

Interestingly, I tried to show Pulp Fiction to my little brother (born in 89, 12 year age difference between us) about 9 years ago, and he was, like others have stated, kind of bored by it. I think if I showed it to him today, the expirence would be different, but as a 21, 22 year old, he wasn't interested, but he loved Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained.

I showed it to my 14 year old kid three months ago and he loved it. He'd seen Reservoir Dogs two years ago, and Kill Bill last year, so he was already familiar with Tarantino's style. By now he's seen most of his films, and Once Upon a Time... is his favorite.

2 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I thought they became close over the course of the movie, but not that they started that way.

Yeah, I think that's about right. By the end they are kind of acting like a married couple, especially the argument about the bloody towel.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:54 PM, IsraelOrtiz said:

Fabienne is pregnant.  I know this is old hat but I just gotta throw this in the conversation!  That whole potbelly back-and-forth is her first test salvo to reveal a pregnancy or to see if Butch is in a possible mindset to progress their relationship.

It's fun to think Butch has his own fucked up watch story to pass down to his possible child.

I’m a week late for this episode but I came here to say this and it shocks me how many people don’t recognize it.

It’s amazing show and don’t tell writing: the importance of Butch’s father, Butch’s legacy, the ticking clocks all around. It’s the entire reason why Butch is doing all the things he is doing.

I made this because I’ve always had this theory.

PM3TqQh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PollyDarton said:

I’m a week late for this episode but I came here to say this and it shocks me how many people don’t recognize it.

It’s amazing show and don’t tell writing: the importance of Butch’s father, Butch’s legacy, the ticking clocks all around. It’s the entire reason why Butch is doing all the things he is doing.

I made this because I’ve always had this theory. PM3TqQh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I have literally never thought of this but it makes all the sense in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

I have literally never thought of this but it makes all the sense in the world.

Once you see it you can't unsee it.

I was at work earlier so I didn't get a chance to really expound upon it (and my image spells it out) but the pregnancy subtext SCREAMS at you once you begin to analyze the sequence.

It begins with Butch's earliest memory "of his father." Butch did not know his father because he died in WWII before he was born or before he would ever get the chance to meet him. At the end of the scene we realize this was Butch having a memory-dream. His father is on his mind. Butch does not throw the fight like he is supposed to, instead wins by killing his opponent so that he can cash in as much as possible for his retirement. Being a boxer is a dangerous business and Butch is getting old. He jumps in a cab where he is taken to his "Little Mammacita" hiding out in an anonymous hotel room. They are planning an escape. Butch enters the room and his demeanor instantly changes. He talks softly and sweetly to his lady. You could say he babies her. They discuss their escape, their danger, and then have oral sex. In the morning she discusses with great relish what she wants for breakfast, but then they discover that she forgot the watch. Butch flips his shit and has to go get it... risking his life.
Why is he thinking about his father at all? Why is he retiring from an incredibly violent business? (Besides his outburst about the watch) Why does he treat Fabienne like a child? Why risk his LIFE for a watch?

It's clear as day. They are having a baby and Butch has to make BIG changes. He wants to be a better father than his own by actually being alive for his child.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 12:34 AM, Cronopio said:

I showed it to my 14 year old kid three months ago and he loved it. He'd seen Reservoir Dogs two years ago, and Kill Bill last year, so he was already familiar with Tarantino's style. By now he's seen most of his films, and Once Upon a Time... is his favorite.

I'm gonna go out and a limb and say Once Upon a Time.. is also probably my favorite (though I haven't seen all). I've seen it twice, and will probably go this weekend to a screening in 35mm. For me, it's up there with Jackie Brown.