đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
SlidePocket

Episode 218.5 - Minisode 218.5

Michael Bay gets his revenge, equal pay for an equal con, and more on this week's mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Deadfall, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

• Like 1

DDF is a great movie. I will live, die, resurrect, and be staked in the heart on this hill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really don't want Paul to give in to the Transformers Reference Of The Fallen bit. I was mildly annoyed that he kept giving it time in the mini episodes, but I really respect the commitment of the guy. I'd love for people to I Am Spartacus this and do it at other shows.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I really don't want Paul to give in to the Transformers Reference Of The Fallen bit. I was mildly annoyed that he kept giving it time in the mini episodes, but I really respect the commitment of the guy. I'd love for people to I Am Spartacus this and do it at other shows.

I totally agree. I appreciate the bit, but it’s kind of played out now. I don’t even feel like the Transformers movies are a good fit for the show. They’re bad, but not every bad movie needs to be discussed, you know? The Transformers movies are a two and a half hour migraine.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I totally agree. I appreciate the bit, but it’s kind of played out now. I don’t even feel like the Transformers movies are a good fit for the show. They’re bad, but not every bad movie needs to be discussed, you know? The Transformers movies are a two and a half hour migraine.

I think it sets a really bad precedent that being annoying will change the show in your favor.

If Paul had been open to it, that would be one thing. He was very clear about not wanting to do it. So, unless the bit gets bigger, let it go.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I think it sets a really bad precedent that being annoying will change the show in your favor.

If Paul had been open to it, that would be one thing. He was very clear about not wanting to do it. So, unless the bit gets bigger, let it go.

Exactly. It’s not like they are unaware the Transformer movies exist. If they really wanted to do one, they would have. Don’t be a pest.

27 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Exactly. It’s not like they are unaware the Transformer movies exist. If they really wanted to do one, they would have. Don’t be a pest.

I still wish that Paul would either sell the many DVDs he has received for some kind of charity or give them out at the live shows as prizes the way he has with other swag. But maybe there are legal issues around that.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I still wish that Paul would either sell the many DVDs he has received for some kind of charity or give them out at the live shows as prizes the way he has with other swag. But maybe there are legal issues around that.

Presumably, “Michael Bay” has already paid for them, so it shouldn’t really be a problem to sell them for charity. Wouldn’t that just be like putting your Blu-Rays up on eBay or something? Giving them away would be no problem at all. 

(If they were autographed, that would be even better :) )

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

Presumably, “Michael Bay” has already paid for them, so it shouldn’t really be a problem to sell them for charity. Wouldn’t that just be like putting your Blu-Rays up on eBay or something? Giving them away would be no problem at all. 

(If they were autographed, that would be even better :) )

Yes, indeed. Paul, Jason, June and John, if you were to all sign a copy of Transformers: ROTF and throw it up on a web store, I would plunk down $50 or so for a copy if the funds were going to charity. I might even watch the movie.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Yes, indeed. Paul, Jason, June and John, if you were to all sign a copy of Transformers: ROTF and throw it up on a web store, I would plunk down $50 or so for a copy if the funds were going to charity. I might even watch the movie.

I'm sure a lot of people would. It would be nice to turn the bit into something positive. I agree, that at this point, it would be the only way to justify the episode. Like @grudlian.said, you don't want to set a dangerous (i.e. obnoxious) precedent, but if you turned it into an event (and make it clear that this is a one time deal), then why not? You can maybe even set it up as an auction. Like they will only do an episode if they reach a certain dollar amount which will be donated to the charity of their choice. 

I don't want to speak for them, but honestly, I think this would be a pretty cool idea.

• Like 4

I don't mind the bit too much, but I can't wrap my head around the endgame of it. What's the point?  Just incessant repetition? Is that the comedy of it? *shrug* Paul's amused by it, so I guess that's enough though.

Shouldn't be any legal issues with giving away the discs, or re-selling. IP law lets you do that. There's more IP issues going on in their t-shirt store anyway, lol.

• Like 2

I am concerned that actual Michael Bay is making so much money off troll Michael Bay. (Am I the only one who hopes he is making the DVDs himself illegally somehow? I suppose I shouldn’t promote that but it would make me feel better about how much our MB is spending on this bit.)

I have never seen a Transformers film, and I don’t want Paul to give in. But... It could be funny if HDTGM covered one that wasn’t Revenge of the Fallen. Maybe?

• Like 3

On 7/25/2019 at 10:25 PM, muttnik said:

DDF is a great movie. I will live, die, resurrect, and be staked in the heart on this hill.

I too loved this film as a kid.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

have never seen a Transformers film, and I don’t want Paul to give in. But... It could be funny if HDTGM covered one that wasn’t Revenge of the Fallen. Maybe?

This is the only funny response but I feel like, as Cameron H said, that the movies aren't really in the right zone for HDTGM. They are bad but it's just a generic, boring terribleness.

9 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I too loved this film as a kid.

I thought this was awesome as a kid, but I am wary to return to it. I also thought Nothing But Trouble was good as a kid.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:45 PM, grudlian. said:

Surely this has to go on forever, where this fella keeps going but the gang never do a Transformers film...

On 7/26/2019 at 9:45 AM, grudlian. said:

Or do The Asylum’s “Transmorphers: Fall Of Man.” If it really is Michael Bay sending those DVDs, that should push him over the edge. 

• Like 3

On 7/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, grudlian. said:

I thought this was awesome as a kid, but I am wary to return to it. I also thought Nothing But Trouble was good as a kid.

So I just rewatched it as it'd been a couple of years, and it still stands up for me, so hopefully it might for you as well. A few things could stand to have been refined/better fleshed out, and one particular character doesn't make a lot of sense logically, but I think it all still works. Though I guess one big issue is Rik Mayall; as with a Jim Carrey or Robin Williams one's tolerance of him and thus enjoyment of the movie may vary.

• Like 1

I never saw Drop Dead Fred growing up, and I'm about two thirds of the way through it now... and I have not enjoyed a single second of it outside of seeing Carrie Fisher being annoyed at everything going on. I wish the movie was about her instead. This is... rough. I'd rather rewatch Deadfall.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

I don't mind the bit too much, but I can't wrap my head around the endgame of it. What's the point?  Just incessant repetition? Is that the comedy of it? *shrug* Paul's amused by it, so I guess that's enough though.

Shouldn't be any legal issues with giving away the discs, or re-selling. IP law lets you do that. There's more IP issues going on in their t-shirt store anyway, lol.

I have to admit I like it when someone commits to the bit.

For example, there was an Irish comedian called Dave Allen, a genius who incidentally did some terrific sketches parodying films like the Exorcist. In his younger days he lost the tip of a finger in some sort of accident, but he would never say how he did it. His own son would ask like "Come on really, how did you do it?" and Dave would make up a different silly story every time. Eventually the great man died without ever telling his son how he did it, which his son loved because he committed to the gag to the very end

On 7/27/2019 at 2:59 AM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I am concerned that actual Michael Bay is making so much money off troll Michael Bay. (Am I the only one who hopes he is making the DVDs himself illegally somehow? I suppose I shouldn’t promote that but it would make me feel better about how much our MB is spending on this bit.)

I have never seen a Transformers film, and I don’t want Paul to give in. But... It could be funny if HDTGM covered one that wasn’t Revenge of the Fallen. Maybe?

I mean, what if it IS Michael Bay sending the stuff? Just sayin' :) 

On 7/29/2019 at 5:04 PM, Quasar Sniffer said:

I never saw Drop Dead Fred growing up, and I'm about two thirds of the way through it now... and I have not enjoyed a single second of it outside of seeing Carrie Fisher being annoyed at everything going on. I wish the movie was about her instead. This is... rough. I'd rather rewatch Deadfall.

Same. Bring back 80/90's action movies. Surprise us with a gem like Miami Connection. Anything but this.

• Like 1

A question for our American friends - how well known is Rik Mayall in the US? He's obviously a national treasure here in the UK, but wasn't sure how much exposure he's had across the pond

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cockney Mackem said:

A question for our American friends - how well known is Rik Mayall in the US? He's obviously a national treasure here in the UK, but wasn't sure how much exposure he's had across the pond

My perception is that I'd compare him to Yahoo Serious but even less impact. A foreign novelty comedian who had one failed movie I'm the early 90s and seemingly disappeared back to his home country.

Before this movie was announced, I could not have named Rik Mayall and wouldn't recognized on sight even though I'd seen Drop Dead Fred multiple times as a kid. I'm mildly surprised to hear he was a legend in the UK and I'm (mildly) familiar with at least big name British comedians from 80s-90s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

My perception is that I'd compare him to Yahoo Serious but even less impact. A foreign novelty comedian who had one failed movie I'm the early 90s and seemingly disappeared back to his home country.

Before this movie was announced, I could not have named Rik Mayall and wouldn't recognized on sight even though I'd seen Drop Dead Fred multiple times as a kid. I'm mildly surprised to hear he was a legend in the UK and I'm (mildly) familiar with at least big name British comedians from 80s-90s.

Oh yeah he was HUGE over here. Not all that surprised that he's not known in the US because if the show doesn't cross the pond they don't get seen. SNL isn't really shown in the UK so I've lost count of the number of comedy actors I've seen show up in a film and think, they're new who's that and they're a household name on a par with Will Ferrell.

So Rik Mayall was an absolute mainstay of British TV comedy for at least two decades:

The Young Ones was huge in the UK in the early 80s, and the cast even had a number 1 hit single.

The Comic Strip Presents... wasn't as widely seen but very influential and some big names got a break in their shows/films. He also had notable guest star appearances in three if the four seasons of Blackadder, as well as an iconic turn as a sleazy politician in The New Statesman (think House of Cards with dick jokes). And of course Bottom, which was especially violent and crude. 

Fun facts: he had a blink-and-you-miss it cameo in American Werewolf In London; and one of his Comic Strip appearances was as iconic bass player in Bad News, a spoof rockumentary which came out at the same time as Spinal Tap. They released an album, produced by Queen's Brian May, which includes a gloriously unlistenable cover of Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Like 1

They used to show The Young Ones on Comedy Central for a while in the mid-nineties, but I remember trying to talk about it with friends and getting blank stares. He made an impact on my childhood anyway.

• Like 1