🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

A movie that isnt a movie at all but a flash forward. This movie made be want to mercy kill my Tv. It tries to be more then it is and Nick Cage gives his best performance wearing long greasy hair ever. **Spoiler**My most hated part is the anti climatic ending where you discover that he just saw the future and everything the viewer watched was meaning less because Cage says he knows he isnt going to do any of that but something else making the movie null and void.

The fact that it sets up rules and then just starts breaking those rules is so annoying and childish. Despite the ending there was some fun elements that reminded me of the far more elegant plot of Paycheck which similarly had a great plot about predictions but then failed to apply them in a fun manner.

The hill chase in Next was good but just not clever enough to save the whole thing from a catastrophically poor finale.

Nic Cage as a psychic magician who uses his powers to help the F.B.I., this sounds like a parody of a nic cage movie. It would make for a great episode for sure.

• Like 1

It's actually a pretty solid Nicholas Cage action movie, but with what very well may be one of the worst plot twists in cinema history. How often does ninety seconds retroactively ruin half a movie? You have super powers, a nuke, a terrible plot twist...and Nicholas Cage. C'mon. You know you want to.

Maybe my recollection of this movie is off, but I thought this movie was BAD with a capital "fuck". The CG was awful, the premise was bizarre, Nic Cage didn't have any freakouts I dont think... in fact, his entire performance was only a hair more energetic than Mr Mackey on South Park. Its like his Wicker Man performance without the Bad Lieutenant change up. Very little made sense, and the plot twist at the end harkins back to those days of late 80s/early 90s sitcoms.

You need to get another Nic Cage movie out of your system, and there is none better than "Next". Jesus Pete's, you will not regret it.

I created an account JUST to suggest this movie.

• Like 1

Did anyone else see this Nic Cage mindfuck in 2007? It was a bastardized adaptation of a Philip K. Dick story where Nic Cage has the power to see two minutes ahead into the future, the absolute worst super power ever. His power is enhanced when he is around Jessica Biel for no understandable reason and Julianne Moore is chasing after him to help him find a terrorist's bomb.

If you guys were shocked by the ending of Breaking Dawn 2 and how it pulled the rug out from under you at the end, this movie beat it to the punch where the whole last half of the movie was all in Nic Cage's mind powers and hadn't happened yet.

• Like 1

If you guys were shocked by the ending of Breaking Dawn 2 and how it pulled the rug out from under you at the end, this movie beat it to the punch where the whole last half of the movie was all in Nic Cage's mind powers and hadn't happened yet.

SPOILE... oh who cares.

I love that they expect you to take this ending seriously, even though

A: It means there's no resolution to the movie's conflict, and

B: It pretty much contradicts the rules of his psychic visions.

Also, seriously, what is with the director, Lee Tamahori? He made maybe one or two good movies ("Once Were Warriors" and "The Edge"), then ever since has made crap; he's also responsible for "Die Another Day" and that "xXx" sequel even Vin Diesel didn't want to do.

• Like 3

Also, seriously, what is with the director, Lee Tamahori? He made maybe one or two good movies ("Once Were Warriors" and "The Edge"), then ever since has made crap; he's also responsible for "Die Another Day" and that "xXx" sequel even Vin Diesel didn't want to do.

This also happened with another director that worked with Nick Cage around the same time. Alex Proyas made two of the best dark fantasy flicks of the 90s, The Crow and Dark City. Then he made the awful I, Robot with Will Smith and most recently, Knowing with Nicholas Cage.

It's like there's a pre-emptive Cage curse.

• Like 3

SPOILE... oh who cares.

Yeah I was tempted to put spoiler, but no one saw this movie when it came out and I doubt the viewing numbers would grow too much. They never did explain why Biel made him have further premonitions or if they did it was too retarded for any sane person to catch. Tamahori seems to be a part of a long line of directors who had one or two huge movies and then shit the bed the rest of their careers, like Renny Harlin and Roland Emmerich.

XXX State of the Union should definitely be done on the podcast as well. That thing sucked out loud, I didn't think they could make a crappier movie than XXX, but they could beat it with the supposed third one that has Vin Diesel return.

• Like 1

I suggested this movie a few months ago, and my opinion has not changed. PLEASE DO IT OH MY GOD.

He dodges BULLETS at point blank range at one point. Because that's how his powers work? Also, when he "sees the future", it happens in real time. What is his current self doing exactly? Just staring into space for a couple hours? Oh man. So good.

I suggested this movie a few months ago, and my opinion has not changed. PLEASE DO IT OH MY GOD.

He dodges BULLETS at point blank range at one point. Because that's how his powers work? Also, when he "sees the future", it happens in real time. What is his current self doing exactly? Just staring into space for a couple hours? Oh man. So good.

That's the deleted scene reel, just Nic Cage giving everyone a crazy rape face as he figures out what his next move will be.

I imagine there was some critic's review somewhere where the entire review for the movie was just the title of the film.

Most likely Leonard Maltin.

Sadly, no. Although he did have one good line in his capsule review:

[Julianne] Moore is an aggressive FBI agent pursuing a clairvoyant Vegas lounge magician whom she is convinced is the only one who can foil a terrorist plot to nuke L.A. What, David Copperfield had another gig?
  • Like 1

Sadly, no. Although he did have one good line in his capsule review:

This is what happens in movie universes where David Copperfield, Kris Angel, and David Blaine don't exist! Nuclear threats, planes full of convicts crashing on the strip, and a lot of other craziness that only Nic Cage can save us from! It's like he's forever indebted to Las Vegas after it won him his Oscar.

• Like 1

What, i actually liked this movie but i love Philip K Dick stories. In its place i would suggest an even worse Philip K Dick movie, Paycheck with Ben Affleck and directed by John Woo and his usual slo-mo which can get you drunk if you turn it into a drinking game.

• Like 1

Mark Kermode, whenever this was brought up on his Movie show, just said, "Next? Uh... next!"

I watched this for the first time a few days ago, and it's pretty ripe stuff. Reading back through this thread, I'm glad the nod to Breaking Dawn Part II was mentioned, as yeah, this beat it to the punch.

Special mention must go to Cage's hair in this flick, as it's as bonkers as the plot.... And Julianne Moore is utterly awful in this movie.

If the only reason this movie was made was so that this picture could come into fruition, I consider it worth it.

my%20hair%20is%20a%20bird%20your%20argument%20is%20invalid_zpsnofrimjt.jpg

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this