🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JCLASSRACER

Stay Tuned (1992)

this movie is as entertaining as it is flawed.

A husband and wife are sucked into a hellish TV and have to survive a gauntlet of twisted versions of TV shows they find themselves in.

Holy crap.. the whole movis is just hanging out on youtube free. lookie there. Do it!

• Like 2

I actually rented a VHS copy of this movie a little while back.

It is something else for sure... Oh and Sgt. Doakes from Dexter is in it! And I believe he has a flat top of some kind

• Like 1

Yes! I just rented this off of Amazon the other night because I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and I still loved it! There's a whole bunch of weird, very-specifically-late-80's/early-90's shit going on, especially in the TV/movie parodies. Salt-n-Pepa appear as themselves in this movie and it is not ironic.

John Ritter and Pam Dawber are excellent, Eugene Levy Eugene-Levy's the hell out of his scenes, and there's a lot of great meta-comedy, some of which isn't totally heavy-handed.

And, yes, you can see Baby Doakes in all his not-crazy-muscles-having glory (CREEPY MOTHERFUCKER).

I had completely forgotten about this movie! I need to re-watch it, because it's one of those 'loved it as a kid' things. It might end up as my personal Nothing But Trouble.

had forgotten that noted sex offender jeffrey jones really got in his devil movies during the 90s

I remember liking this movie when I was a kid. I haven't watched it since.

I think the moral lessons in this incredible allegorical film could really speak the HDTGM audience. DId anyone else have one of those giant dishes in their yard? Remember how you had to actually memorize the satellite codes? Then maybe 4 out of the 40 channels on that sat were nothing but fuzz...

A much worse post Roger Rabbit 1992 cartoon+live action movie was Cool World.

My god, Cool World. I dare you to watch that and not become physically nauseous. Brad Pitt enters a world of ugly generic Ralph Bakshi cartoons where he must hunt down a cartoon Kim Basinger who turns into a real person after he fucks her.

At no stage in development should it have seemed like a good idea.

A much worse post Roger Rabbit 1992 cartoon+live action movie was Cool World.

For what it's worth, there's only one animated sequence in "Stay Tuned."

The whole thing is on Youtube in pieces too.

This is really a weird movie. I mean, I know there were plenty of wacky, high-concept fantasy comedies in the 90's (heck, "Beetlejuice" and "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" are movies that exist thanks to this wonderful time), but this is one is over-the-top. Straight up "Deal with the Devil" stuff. Trapping people in TV because Satan is punishing you for making a deal for a TV with more channels than any other at the time?

The different shows all look like they have awful bits in them - just look at the trailer where John Ritter is in some hip hop video on MTV. I don't know how that's evil, but I know his getup is pretty racist. The exorcist exercise video, the cartoon world, the game show, the pro-wrestling... everything; just seems like the worst jokes from one of the most outdated and strangest premises ever. Although at least the cartoon world should hold up; this is a Warner Bros. movie after all, and it's clearly well-made.

• Like 2

I remember watching this movie as a kid and loving it. I mean what kid wouldn't want to be sucked into their tv to be in their favorite shows?

Of course, that's not actually what happens in this movie, but it definitely makes you think.

This was definitely one of those "heavy rotation on HBO" movies. I know I've seen it more than once. I loved it as a kid, which means it is almost certainly terrible. Some of the jokes are pretty on the nose (e.g. Saturday Night Dead?) I feel like the HDTGM crew could spend an hour discussing the terrible puns and dated cultural references scattered throughout.

The big set pieces like where they're in the French revolution, or the Dwaynes Underworld show aren't nearly as good as all the little snippets of shows that the kids watch.

Sign in to follow this