đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Hide and Seek (2005)

I feel like the gang needs to start tackling some of the delightfully terrible psychological thrillers in Robert Deniro's filmography.

I tried watching this and got turned off by the grisly suicide at the opening. It just seemed like it was going to be exploitative and bad-bad rather than fun bad. Does it improve as it goes on (relatively speaking)?

• Like 1

I saw this in theaters and had to sneak in because my friends and I were all 15 and had no idea this was rated R (I guess the suicide made it rated R?) and it was stupid then and I literally just happened to catch it on TV this past weekend and it's still stupid. No one in this movie makes a good decision.

@GrahamS. it's pretty exploitative about mental illness throughout the whole thing. Very 2005 mindset. Doesn't hold up well AT ALL, but nothing seems to be as gruesome as the suicide, but that's just in my view of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

I saw this in theaters and had to sneak in because my friends and I were all 15 and had no idea this was rated R (I guess the suicide made it rated R?) and it was stupid then and I literally just happened to catch it on TV this past weekend and it's still stupid. No one in this movie makes a good decision.

@GrahamS. it's pretty exploitative about mental illness throughout the whole thing. Very 2005 mindset. Doesn't hold up well AT ALL, but nothing seems to be as gruesome as the suicide, but that's just in my view of it.

Thanks! That’s helpful.

It's akin to other psychological thrillers/dramas they've to previously covered. I'd argue that something like Color of Night is far more exploitative though. I would say that following through to the end is worth it solely to see a genuinely insane ending. 

This movie is to psychology as Godsend is to medical science. 

• Like 1

I agree Color of Night was SUPER exploitative, but it was so campy (right from Its opening suicide) that it bore no resemblance to reality whatsoever (it felt like the filmmakers didn't have any idea how therapy worked and didn’t bother to research it at all).

I can’t speak to this film—other than the section I saw and the trailer—but the vibe of this one seemed to be  a muted “we’re making a serious work of art.” I’m sure that could result in some belly laughs, but the scene where young Dakota Fanning stares at her mother’s bloody, dead body bugged me. I’ve also never really liked movies where children are murderers (there are a few exceptions —like the bonkers remake of Pet Semetary...hmm, that one might be a possibility...), but that’s just me.

To sum up, campy exploitation I’m OK with, dull exploitation I’m not. If this film descends into camp, I might be persuaded to give it another shot. If Robert DeNiro’s character were played by Al Pacino at full volume, I’d definitely watch it.

4 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I’ve also never really liked movies where children are murderers (there are a few exceptions —like the bonkers remake of Pet Semetary...hmm, that one might be a possibility...), but that’s just me.

If it makes you feel better, that's not what's happening in this movie.

• Like 2

Cool. Couldn’t be sure from the trailer.

Just curious... have either of you watched Fateful Findings yet?

• Like 1

Have to bump a movie whose DVD gives you the option of selecting one of five fucking endings to conclude the movie with. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this