🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 220.5 - Minisode 220.5

What’s the best name for a baby? Why was Owen Shaw erased from history? These questions are answered and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Hobbs & Shaw, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

I  just let out a shocked  strangled "Paul!!!" To rival any June has ever uttered at hearing that Paul said he cried at The Hottie and the Nottie. I don't know whose more concerned my cat at my distress over whatever is going on with Paul or me worrying about Paul. 

• Like 5

If we're limiting it purely to The Odd Couple, Klugman/Randall over Matthau/Lemmon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

If we're limiting it purely to The Odd Couple, Klugman/Randall over Matthau/Lemmon.

*a single tear rolls down Matthew Perry's cheek*

• Like 3

I genuinely thought that Paul was going to rip me apart because of my Chest Math, but to hear him say I'm right and then blame Nate well...

That was pretty amazing lol!

giphy.gif

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Wait Michael Bay is at Unspooled now? That doesn't seem right.

And forum superstar almostaghost went to a live Unspooled show...are they one and the same??????

• Like 4

9 hours ago, grudlian. said:

As much as I love the pairing of Matthau and Lemmon, in all their films together I find their pairing in the odd coupe to be the most questionable. I think this is due to issues with the Felix character.

Best pairing of Matthau/Lemmon? The Fortune Cookie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grudlian. said:

And forum superstar almostaghost went to a live Unspooled show...are they one and the same??????

I certainly can't prove otherwise

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

As much as I love the pairing of Matthau and Lemmon, in all their films together I find their pairing in the odd coupe to be the most questionable. I think this is due to issues with the Felix character.

Best pairing of Matthau/Lemmon? The Fortune Cookie.

Maybe it's because it was the first team up of theirs that I saw, but it's definitely Grumpy Old Men for me.

• Like 3

Like Paul, I’ve pretty much purged almost all of my physical media, but I disagree with him putting Raiders of the Lost Ark in the “R’s.” While it might seem counter intuitive, because it’s a part of the Indiana Jones series, it should really be filed under “I.” 

Also, perhaps controversially, all Bond movies should be filed chronologically and under “B,” and Predator movies should be filed under “A” with the Alien series.

Ultimately, it’s more important that a movie series remains intact than for your collection to be strictly alphabetized.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Ultimately, it’s more important that a movie series remains intact than for your collection to be strictly alphabetized.

I agree with this method of alphabetization. I do own physical media because I prefer it and I mourn the loss of video stores (of course I use streaming, but it’s nice to have access to movies that aren’t available and are my favorites. Also, Seattle has Scarecrow Video, which is insanely huge and has all kinds of obscure stuff. Recommended for any pop-culture junkie! You can support them from anywhere by ordering stuff online. That’s my plug!). I don’t like watching stuff on a computer.

My organization method goes by director first (Wes Anderson, John Carpenter, etc.), then organizes individual films alphabetically. I like the idea of alphabetizing by character or creature to keep a film series together, but I’m a little more loose (or lazy). My Bond and Planet of the Apes movies are all grouped in chronological order, but I more or less ignore alphabetical order.

If I were REALLY anal, I could organize by genre (action, comedy, drama, etc.), THEN by alphabetical order, but I’ll cross that nit-picky bridge when I have too much time on my hands (and cared more).

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

I agree with this method of alphabetization. I do own physical media because I prefer it and I mourn the loss of video stores (of course I use streaming, but it’s nice to have access to movies that aren’t available and are my favorites. Also, Seattle has Scarecrow Video, which is insanely huge and has all kinds of obscure stuff. Recommended for any pop-culture junkie! You can support them from anywhere by ordering stuff online. That’s my plug!). I don’t like watching stuff on a computer.

My organization method goes by director first (Wes Anderson, John Carpenter, etc.), then organizes individual films alphabetically. I like the idea of alphabetizing by character or creature to keep a film series together, but I’m a little more loose (or lazy). My Bond and Planet of the Apes movies are all grouped in chronological order, but I more or less ignore alphabetical order.

If I were REALLY anal, I could organize by genre (action, comedy, drama, etc.), THEN by alphabetical order, but I’ll cross that nit-picky bridge when I have too much time on my hands (and cared more).

Oh, I definitely used to group them by genre too :) However, that’s mostly because I kept my discs in binders and it was easier to be like “This binder is for Comedy” rather than “This binder is for movies J through M.” 

While I miss video stores, I can’t say I miss physical media. Even having tossed all the cases years ago, they just take up too much space - especially when I can just go into iTunes or Amazon and just pull up my list. I just don’t have the same emotional attachment to a disc that I do to, say, a book or a record. I’d rather make more room for those things rather than my Tango and Cash DVD 😜 

• Like 3

Point taken. The appeal of disks for me are the extras/commentary, which you can’t get through streaming.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Point taken. The appeal of disks for me are the extras/commentary, which you can’t get through streaming.

That’s very true. 

• Like 3

Plus Netflix makes it impossible to watch the credits of ANYTHING before jamming the next thing down your throat. I find that really irritating.

• Like 2

But, on the other hand (re:Netflix), I LOVE Big Mouth. It’s my favorite show about teens since Freaks and Geeks. I watched that whole thing in a week, maybe two, tops.

• Like 2

I also appreciate a lot of Netflix’s original programming. While not everything works, it creates a lot of opportunities for filmmakers to do something a little different. There are a number of Netflix movies that are really good but probably wouldn’t find an audience under “normal” circumstances.

• Like 2

I agree.It might not have been to every taste, but I thought Roma was great.

I get the argument against Netflix as well. Like Helen Mirren said, “I love Netflix, but fuck Netflix.” It would be nice if they gave more of their films a theatrical run. I like a lot of big blockbusters and see them in the theater, but I don’t want ONLY big blockbusters, which seems to be where we’re heading towards (I know Paul said H&S was probably the best film of the summer (tongue-in-cheekily?), and I definitely enjoyed it as a three-star action flick. But my favorite films of the summer have been The Farewell with Awkwafina (which I thought would be depressing but was actually fairly funny, in a quirky, deadpan way) and once Upon a Time In Hollywood. Oh, also Long Shot! I was bummed to see that it “underperformed.” I liked it, my parents liked it, more people should see it. And of course, thumbs up for the sections of JW3 with Jason in it. But only those sections. Fuck the rest of the film).

holy shit that was long. Apologies.:)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

holy shit that was long. Apologies.:)

LOL - No worries! I’ve written straight up novels on here 😜

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Like Paul, I’ve pretty much purged almost all of my physical media, but I disagree with him putting Raiders of the Lost Arc in the “R’s.” While it might seem counter intuitive, because it’s a part of the Indiana Jones series, it should really be filed under “I.” 

Also, perhaps controversially, all Bond movies should be filed chronologically and under “B,” and Predator movies should be filed under “A” with the Alien series.

I'm very anal about alphabetizing and the easiest way to keep series together is box sets. I've got a box set of the full run of James Bond films and Indiana Jones which really alleviates this problem.

See I've recently started going in the opposite direction and am slowly building my physical media collection back up. Including that I only buy physical copies of my video games as well. 

All the shenanigans with the FCC and net neutrality got me in the frame of mind that if I can somewhat lessen my reliance on streaming if there are sudden jumps in billing, it'll help out in the long run. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

See I've recently started going in the opposite direction and am slowly building my physical media collection back up. Including that I only buy physical copies of my video games as well. 

All the shenanigans with the FCC and net neutrality got me in the frame of mind that if I can somewhat lessen my reliance on streaming if there are sudden jumps in billing, it'll help out in the long run. 

Unfortunately, from the scuttlebutt I’ve heard, next-gen consoles are going to eliminate discs completely 😬

• Like 2

Yea I feel like the Switch and Xbox might make the jump to streaming only. Ps5 thankfully will have a physical media drive and be backwards compatible with the Ps4

• Like 3

There are so many games I haven’t finished on Xbox 360 and XBox one that it’ll be years before I upgrade (I just got the Xbox One last year and there are more games on GamePass alone than I could ever play.

• Like 1