🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 73 (Maximilliano’s Pick)

4 minutes ago, IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN said:

On my way home from work... I'll give you my pick soon 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I have my pick... Saw this movie last year in theaters and felt lukewarm about it... But I think that discussing it with you gals and guys is going to help me make mi mind if I love it or hate it 😉

The movie is the Christmas Zombie Musical Anna and  the ApocalypseAnna_Apocalypse_FINAL-A2peq.jpg

• Like 4

Very cool! I'm not sure I've heard of this one. Sounds interesting :) 

• Like 1

This is available with an Epix subscription. Sounds like I’m due for a 7-day trial 😉

• Like 2

Hi all. I’m new to the musical Mondays group because I am not a musical die-hard. Here are some examples of musicals I like (from both film and theater); Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd, the South Park movie, The Book of Mormon, Urinetown, Mary Poppins, Singing in the Rain, Ride the Cyclone.

A musical that I respect but did not like at all (this might be controversial): Rent

A musical TV show that I initially liked but began bugging the fuck out of me by its second season: Glee.

I was interested in Anna and the Apocalypse. The premise of a musical + zombies seemed to have that Little Shop of Horrors potential for goofy fun.

I tried, guys. I made it halfway through.

This film felt like the mutant stepchild of Strictly Ballroom, Glee, Dawson’s Creek, Riverdale (maybe? I haven’t actually seen that one), with some Shaun of the Dead-style zombies thrown in.

No, that might make it sound good or at least interesting. Tell you what: picture that stepchild sharting out a half-digested version of the High School Musical films, and that’s what I felt like I was left with.

The “kill the Queen!” Sequence from Shaun of the Dead was infinitely more inspired than anything here. It made me wish they’d just made a musical out of Peter Jackson’s Dead-Alive.

Perhaps I’m being a judgmental asshole. Perhaps the second half got better. By the 45-minute mark, I just didn’t get it and I really didn’t want to.

i hope everyone else enjoyed it more than me!

• Like 2

Woke up. Can’t sleep. Found this. Thought it fit this category and it’s FRIGGIN’ HILARIOUS.

6 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Hi all. I’m new to the musical Mondays group because I am not a musical die-hard. Here are some examples of musicals I like (from both film and theater); Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd, the South Park movie, The Book of Mormon, Urinetown, Mary Poppins, Singing in the Rain, Ride the Cyclone.

A musical that I respect but did not like at all (this might be controversial): Rent

A musical TV show that I initially liked but began bugging the fuck out of me by its second season: Glee.

I was interested in Anna and the Apocalypse. The premise of a musical + zombies seemed to have that Little Shop of Horrors potential for goofy fun.

I tried, guys. I made it halfway through.

This film felt like the mutant stepchild of Strictly Ballroom, Glee, Dawson’s Creek, Riverdale (maybe? I haven’t actually seen that one), with some Shaun of the Dead-style zombies thrown in.

No, that might make it sound good or at least interesting. Tell you what: picture that stepchild sharting out a half-digested version of the High School Musical films, and that’s what I felt like I was left with.

The “kill the Queen!” Sequence from Shaun of the Dead was infinitely more inspired than anything here. It made me wish they’d just made a musical out of Peter Jackson’s Dead-Alive.

Perhaps I’m being a judgmental asshole. Perhaps the second half got better. By the 45-minute mark, I just didn’t get it and I really didn’t want to.

i hope everyone else enjoyed it more than me!

Do you want to be added to the rotation, Graham? Now would be a great time as you would be next 🙂

Sure! I’ve only read a few of the past posts. Are there any films I should avoid because they’ve been done recently? Are there any rules that I should know about    as to what should/shouldn’t be considered a musical (for example, biopics about bands that have music performed  in them, but aren’t movies where people burst into song ala Sound of Music)?

• Like 1

A more concrete example of my question: could Stop Making Sense or This Is Spinal Tap be considered musicals (because there is music in them) or would they simply be viewed as a documentary and a comedy?

• Like 1

Ok, Cameron, I found the link to all the movies that have been previously done. I think I have a good picture of how loose the rules are. I’ll make my suggestion next week and see how it goes!

• Like 1

We've been pretty fast and loose with the definition of "musical" in the past, even doing films that aren't musicals at all. At this point, we're open to any movie in which music plays a prominent role, whether they are musicals or not. So if you want to do The Music Man or This Is Spinal Tap, I think you are safe! Hell, if there's a great movie you want to share with us, even if it's not music-related at all, feel free to pick it (especially if it is streaming for "free" on Amazon, Netflix, Kanopy, etc.).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Ok, Cameron, I found the link to all the movies that have been previously done. I think I have a good picture of how loose the rules are. I’ll make my suggestion next week and see how it goes!

Awesome! Although, you will technically go in two weeks (we announce a movie then give people a week to see it)

Great to have you aboard 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

A more concrete example of my question: could Stop Making Sense or This Is Spinal Tap be considered musicals (because there is music in them) or would they simply be viewed as a documentary and a comedy?

They count. 🧐

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 2:18 PM, IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN said:

I have my pick... Saw this movie last year in theaters and felt lukewarm about it... But I think that discussing it with you gals and guys is going to help me make mi mind if I love it or hate it 😉

Reveal hidden contents

The movie is the Christmas Zombie Musical Anna and  the ApocalypseAnna_Apocalypse_FINAL-A2peq.jpg

Very cool! I actually bought this to see if I was going to pick it for my musical. I look forward to seeing it!

12 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Welcome! Rent was my first pick and they’ve gone down from there. 😉

At least I can take comfort in my next pick having good music. (If no one picks it ahead of me of course.)

• Like 2

OK, I just started watching this.  I was sold a bill of goods! I don't see Anna Kendrick anywhere in the movie!

• Like 1