🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 74 Anna and the Apocalypse

6 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

If I were in Wham! I would want to be the guy at 39 seconds in the Club Tropicana video.

Such an underrated song 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

On the one hand, I appreciated they had the guts to off Duckie, but I agree, if they were going to make Zabka an important character, they really needed to establish that earlier. What the movie really needed was a big opening number that introduces us to everyone. Like, it wouldn’t have hurt to have a song where - even in a single line - we see Zabka and his father together. And also, maybe a small nod to the fact that his feelings are sincere, but he’s got to hide it to be cool. Basically, Zabka needs to Zucko it.

giphy.gif

I agree with Duckie dying. I just think Duckie's death was just kinda lazy in terms of execution. Take for example Chris and Lisa's death. They are being safe an cautious then a low battery notification kicks in which allows the zombies to notice them. On one hand yes the timing is a bit convenient but that's what horror movies do. They were following the rules, playing it safe and it went wrong. They fought it went south, and it is tragic. I think from a horror stand point it is satisfying. Duckie however seemingly forgets that he's in a horror movie. They enter a new room and he just has to stop to tell Anna about the reindeer and ends it with a pointless gesture that leaves his hand sticking out in the open for a zombie to get. To me that's just pushing it. There was no guarantee they were safe but he's acting like they were, the odd gesturing to create an opening, it just all reads forced to me. So it seems like it was clear they were going to kill him and it just doesn't feel satisfying. Whether it be one coming from a corner they didn't check to walking past a door and it surprisingly popping out or one hiding under a car, there are ways they could have done it that doesn't telegraph it so hard and feels more earned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Such an underrated song 😎

Wham! is really, really good. Like almost all their songs are bangers or hits. They only have one horrible terrible no good song that should never be played. Not ever. Especially between the dates of November 20 to January 5.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I agree with Duckie dying. I just think Duckie's death was just kinda lazy in terms of execution. Take for example Chris and Lisa's death. They are being safe an cautious then a low battery notification kicks in which allows the zombies to notice them. On one hand yes the timing is a bit convenient but that's what horror movies do. They were following the rules, playing it safe and it went wrong. They fought it went south, and it is tragic. I think from a horror stand point it is satisfying. Duckie however seemingly forgets that he's in a horror movie. They enter a new room and he just has to stop to tell Anna about the reindeer and ends it with a pointless gesture that leaves his hand sticking out in the open for a zombie to get. To me that's just pushing it. There was no guarantee they were safe but he's acting like they were, the odd gesturing to create an opening, it just all reads forced to me. So it seems like it was clear they were going to kill him and it just doesn't feel satisfying. Whether it be one coming from a corner they didn't check to walking past a door and it surprisingly popping out or one hiding under a car, there are ways they could have done it that doesn't telegraph it so hard and feels more earned.

I didn’t mind how Duckie died simply because in that moment, the movie was serving its High School Musical influences over its zombie movie influence. For a moment, the characters have forgotten what type of movie they’re in, and by engaging in the Musical tropes they have forgotten about the horror movie tropes, and that’s what kills him. 

My biggest issue is the movie doesn’t have MORE of those types of moments. Like if you are watching it because you like Musicals, you’re going to be disappointed, and if you’re watching it because you like Horror/Zombie movies, you’ll be likewise unsatisfied. It lacks a good balance of the two. I would have liked to see these things bounce up against each other more often - like in the “I’m turning My Life Around,” “Soldier at War,” and “Give Them a Show.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

I didn’t mind how Duckie died simply because in that moment, the movie was serving its High School Musical influences over its zombie movie influence. For a moment, the characters have forgotten what type of movie they’re in, and by engaging in the Musical tropes they have forgotten about the horror movie tropes, and that’s what kills him. 

My biggest issue is the movie doesn’t have MORE of those types of moments. Like if you are watching it because you like Musicals, you’re going to be disappointed, and if you’re watching it because you like Horror/Zombie movies, you’ll be likewise unsatisfied. It lacks a good balance of the two. I would have liked to see these things bounce up against each other more often - like in the “I’m turning My Life Around,” “Soldier at War,” and “Give Them a Show.”

I get what you're saying about it. I can see that. It also makes me wonder why there wasn't a scene of somebody being attacked or killed mid song. Too forth wall breaking perhaps.

To further your point about not having enough hybrid moments and the songs lacking forward movement in the story, you'd think upon their initial discovery of a zombie would be a great time for a song in which they freak out seeing a real zombie and killing it. It might step on the toes of "Soldier at War" but that should be major scene and a perfect chance to meld the two genres.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I get what you're saying about it. I can see that. It also makes me wonder why there wasn't a scene of somebody being attacked or killed mid song. Too forth wall breaking perhaps.

To further your point about not having enough hybrid moments and the songs lacking forward movement in the story, you'd think upon their initial discovery of a zombie would be a great time for a song in which they freak out seeing a real zombie and killing it. It might step on the toes of "Soldier at War" but that should be major scene and a perfect chance to meld the two genres.

Absolutely! I kept expecting something like that to happen, but “Soldier at War” is the only song to overtly mention “zombies.” (Technically, the principal’s song does too, but it’s more figurative.) Every other song could have been written for another movie altogether. Even the Shaun of the Dead-ness of “I’m Turning My Life Around” is solely due to the direction of the scene rather than the lyrics of the song. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I didn’t just because the movie was more focused on her independence than on her being attached to anyone.

Then I guess I didn't get what Steph's purpose was in the movie.  I didn't see an arc for her character except for her going to town on the one zombie.

AATA-13.gif?resize=740,303

Honestly, I am not really sure what Nick was supposed to be there for either.  It's called Anna and the Apocalypse not Anna, Nick and Steph.  I kind of pictured a scene like the end of Heathers where Winona Ryder looks back at all the "carnage", lights a cigarette and goes about her day.

8a41345b0520ba9c13189dbc5b31ac64.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Then I guess I didn't get what Steph's purpose was in the movie.  I didn't see an arc for her character except for her going to town on the one zombie.

AATA-13.gif?resize=740,303

Honestly, I am not really sure what Nick was supposed to be there for either.  It's called Anna and the Apocalypse not Anna, Nick and Steph.  I kind of pictured a scene like the end of Heathers where Winona Ryder looks back at all the "carnage", lights a cigarette and goes about her day.

8a41345b0520ba9c13189dbc5b31ac64.jpg

I feel like Steph’s arc is going from being, out a sense of abandonment and isolation, a loner to a team player. She’s says her parents stranded her in England, she can’t reach her girlfriend, the kids at school bully her over her sexuality, and the principal is out to get her. I feel like she’s walled herself off, but by the end of the movie, when it might have been easier to just leave Anna and Nick, she saves their lives.

As far as the title goes, I’d guess it was mainly picked for alliterative purposes. Then again, just because Nick and Steph survive, doesn’t make it any less Anna’s movie. But that’s just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I feel like Steph’s arc is going from being, out a sense of abandonment and isolation, a loner to a team player. She’s says her parents stranded her in England, she can’t reach her girlfriend, the kids at school bully her over her sexuality, and the principal is out to get her. I feel like she’s walled herself off, but by the end of the movie, when it might have been easier to just leave Anna and Nick, she saves their lives.

As far as the title goes, I’d guess it was mainly picked for alliterative purposes. Then again, just because Nick and Steph survive, doesn’t make it any less Anna’s movie. But that’s just my opinion.

That makes sense.  Thanks for explaining it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

That makes sense.  Thanks for explaining it.

Oh, I don’t know if that’s right - lol. Just my take.