🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Unspooled live show 9/26

15 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I bought my ticket a few weeks back before they announced this month's theme... but turns out, it's The Beatles!

I love The Beatles but won't lie, their movies don't do a lot for me. This should be fun!

https://drafthouse.com/los-angeles/show/unspooled-live?fbclid=IwAR0OGffxdzt2F-lN75KXf_s_cK5IS4QHY1Z-PL9I9dIYtPu_FYL8jBlzQxM

It's going to be really hard to argue any Beatles movie belonging on any list of American films.

I think A Hard Day's Night is a really solid movie that really isn't the best example of a movie about a band that isn't just a filmed concert. If you have any interest in musicians as media spectacle, I'd say it's required viewing but it does kind of require you to be a Beatles fan. I can't imagine how it plays for someone not already into the Beatles.

Some people will argue that Yellow Submarine is good but oof it's boring and I think the animation kind of sucks.

2 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Here's hoping they cover Ringo Starr in Caveman!

dinosaur-movies-625x351.jpg

Oooof.  Hopefully it's at least enjoyably campy, as opposed to Son of Dracula, where Ringo played Merlin. That one sounded like it should have been hilarious, but was just a dud. 

5 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Some people will argue that Yellow Submarine is good but oof it's boring and I think the animation kind of sucks.

Biggest problem with that one is the voice acting to me. It's not The Beatles!

IMO A Hard Day's Night is a legitimately great and important film . . . but it's also totally British and probably doesn't belong on the AFI list.

This was a fun show, though there were so many clips it felt at times a little superficial, esp. compared to the usual in-depth Unspooled experience (and the first live show too). But obviously the Beatles clips were a blast. They basically talked through The Beatles main movies first, with Will Hines joining for most all of it. They all did sort of think A Hard Day's Night should be on the AFI list, its British-ness be damned. lol

They then looked through the solo movies each of The Beatles have done, and the consensus seems to be that Ringo is the best actor of them all. This was my favorite part of the show, seeing all the obscure stuff Ringo and Paul had done.

Next Jake Fogelnest joined them to discuss through the Sgt. Pepper's movie and show some clips of that. They were going to go into The Rutles too, I think, but basically seem to have run out of time.

To close, Amy (and Randy Newman) had rewritten the lyrics to "Yesterday" to be about the AFI list and we all sang it.

Did they discuss How I Won the War? I’ve always wanted to watch it, but I think it’s out of print (at least, I’ve never seen it available anywhere). I would love to see a transitional Lennon in his only solo film.

56 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Did they discuss How I Won the War? I’ve always wanted to watch it, but I think it’s out of print (at least, I’ve never seen it available anywhere). I would love to see a transitional Lennon in his only solo film.

They did, yea. They played a clip of a scene with Lennon from it and talked about it shortly. 

Then they showed a bunch of clips of people playing John Lennon in films since he didn’t act as much as the others. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

They did, yea. They played a clip of a scene with Lennon from it and talked about it shortly. 

Then they showed a bunch of clips of people playing John Lennon in films since he didn’t act as much as the others. 

How many people said Give My Regards To Broad Street should be on the AFI list?

38 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

How many people said Give My Regards To Broad Street should be on the AFI list?

Definitely not Amy. She was mocking it and the clip she chose was pretty bad haha

Oh they also talked a bit about the upcoming Let It Be re-release which sounds like it will be great to me

11 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Definitely not Amy. She was mocking it and the clip she chose was pretty bad haha

Oh they also talked a bit about the upcoming Let It Be re-release which sounds like it will be great to me

I'm curious how the Let It Be release will be handled. Ringo and Paul (presumably George and John as well) have said they didn't want it released on DVD because it shows them not so loving as their image. The release next year will have a new version restored by Peter Jackson which will be interesting but I think releasing the original version is important as well (especially since it's been released before). It's not my life on display though. So, I get why they wouldn't want the dreary original to be as widely seen as a potential friendlier version.

And speaking as someone who owns Give My Regards To Broad Street on DVD, it's a tough watch. Other than No More Lonely Nights coming out of the sessions, the isn't much positive to say about it. 

• Like 1

Yea I can get why the Beatles themsevles don't focus on Let It Be much anymore, but as a music fan it'll be fascinating. And I feel like whether the new one is friendlier or not, it should be more factual and complete.