Sign in to follow this  
KvoTheBloodless

Why is literal theft being lauded?

One of the few times I've found an interesting topic addressed in poor light - is in this new con podcast.... I love Paul f Tompkins, but barely found anything else redeeming about the first episode.... The way in which "con" is portrayed in the episode - it is honestly tough to discern what stance the podcast is choosing to take.... For example: in "dumb people town" - another podcast about obviously criminal choices (which inevitably have a net negative effect on society) - it's at least obvious that the hosts may revel in the comedic aspect, but those hosts never cross the line into actually condoning those negative behaviors.... It was frustrating to hear, what appeared to be, an actual celebration of the thought, "I should do that" or "that's a good idea"  - sounded about an obviously societally detrimental idea....   

Knowing that this might be taken out of context, I would propose that this podcast signals in such a way that inherently increases the problem of racial, economic, and societal Injustice... A struggling person would listen to that first episode and easily might think "... Those famous people find it funny or endearing - and the story ends up with them celebrating it.... Why not try for the big game?!"....   And the affluent are likely to think "Well .... Listen to the liberal criminals - thinking that 'Robin Hood' is still a viable justification for outright theft".....

I don't have much sympathy for the rich, whom have allowed themselves to fall prey to scams....

But, nor do I celebrate those that commit actual felonies - in order to literally steal....  

The podcast is almost just the opposite of dumb people town - in which I feel the exact wrong things are being lauded as admirable... It celebrates the stupidity in such a way that it seems un-ironic.... And that is setting back society (and I hesitated to even say this... But it's setting back racial stereotypes, too.....  Do you really think that person in Manhatten - who has the fucking money to give - is going to hear this, and say anything other than 'I was right the entire time for never giving a dime to anyone'....?  And that sets back economic and racial diversity by a real and measurable amount.... The more we believe that the rich 'must protect themselves', and that the poor 'will do whatever it takes' - the greater the divide in our nation will be...)

Basically, I came off of that first episode... Feeling intellectually insulted. As a self-proclaimed liberal, I can't possibly think of an agenda, by which this would actually better society....

And, as a liberal, I literally can only conclude that this is actually consciously counter-culture.... A literal call to arms. That, this is a celebration of that which completely disregards social law - in favor of subjective "social justice"...   WHICH IS NOT AN ACTUAL LIBERAL AGENDA. NO ONE REALLY WANTS THAT

It seems to assume that everyone who has fallen victim to scams - either deserved it, could afford it, or didn't personally do enough to avoid it.... And Paul f Tompkins' own personal stories already proved that wasn't always the case! Yet, the podcast seemed to still take this oddly (over-ironic?) - simply terrible approach - of actually addressing the reality of the topic....

If they could have actually told me anything I didn't already know about the subject.... Maybe that would be redeeming... But, the reality is: I learned next to nothing; I felt like the opinions expressed were detrimental to the overall discussion about the topic of criminal behaviour and "Justice"; and, it really just came off in generally poor taste.

As a fan of comedy: meh

As a fan of actual progressive social discourse: terrible. Absolutely awful

You posted this once in General Podcasting and I let it ride. Then you started spamming multiple unrelated forums with this same message (and apparently emailing it to Earwolf staff) and I was forced to clean up your mess. If you can't engage respectfully, I recommend moving on.