🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 223.5 - Minisode 223.5

52 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

Although my posts weren’t poached by callers this week, I was still dismayed that neither my discussion on the A. Friend reveal nor the Happy To Be Me doll were discussed by Paul on this week’s episode.  I thought both had the potential for good discussion/jokes.  Oh well, I’ll try again next week.

I hear you. It can be a real luck of the draw. I’ve had posts that I thought were killer that get ignored and others that I considered kind of duds that ended up being read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Good luck for Star Crash though 🙂

• Like 3

I will say, both Fateful Findings and The Visitor (NOT the Richard Jenkins movie)—which I saw live—will make for amazing conversations, whenever those episodes air. There’s always new stuff to look forward to!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

I will say, both Fateful Findings and The Visitor (NOT the Richard Jenkins movie)—which I saw live—will make for amazing conversations, whenever those episodes air. There’s always new stuff to look forward to!

Oh, absolutely! I wasn’t trying to be too much of a Debbie Downer - at least I hope I didn’t come off as such :) Mostly I was bringing it up in the conversational nature we’re all talking about. I was just curious how everyone else felt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Oh, absolutely! I wasn’t trying to be too much of a Debbie Downer - at least I hope I didn’t come off as such :) Mostly I was bringing it up in the conversational nature we’re all talking about. I was just curious how everyone else felt.

No, you weren’t being a Debbie Downer at all. I agree with all the observations/frustrations people have talked about in this thread. I just mentioned those episodes as things to look forward to, not trying to be critical of what everyone else was saying. :)

• Like 3

Speaking of conversations, I will give my usual pre-emptive warnings, if they ever get round to Ready 2 Rumble, and MK: Annihilation, I'm gonna be insufferable.

But, if that MKA episode opens with "We're only doing this episode so Smigg from the boards doesn't kick my ass", it might be the coolest thing ever to happen in my life, and I've met Mike Tyson, and got into a "fight" with Ric Flair.

• Like 2

Starcrash is on Amazon Prime Video for those of you who have it.

• Like 1

If they ever do Showgirls I'm just going to take over the boards. That's just how it's going to be. I'm not even sorry. I've spent too long trying to understand Elizabeth Berkley's motivation for acting like an electrocuted salmon during the pool sex scene.  I'm also pretty sure Nomie was raised by rabid wolverines or some other animal based on her eating,claw dance work, and fondness for dog food. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

If they ever do Showgirls I'm just going to take over the boards. That's just how it's going to be. I'm not even sorry. I've spent too long trying to understand Elizabeth Berkley's motivation for acting like an electrocuted salmon during the pool sex scene.  I'm also pretty sure Nomie was raised by rabid wolverines or some other animal based on her eating,claw dance work, and fondness for dog food. 

This relates back to my post about the tape market at my school.  Showgirls was a hot hand, because it was "Her from Saved By The Bell".

• Like 2

I own Starcrash on blu-ray (and this was before MST3K did it - granted, it was also before I watched it).  I also own Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (The Man Who Saved the World.  aka, Turkish Star Wars).  I might not be the best when it comes to making financial decisions.

The former is a lot more watchable than the latter, what with its Christmas light universe and its Greco-Roman claymation (not actually a thing).

I also own The Visitor, but haven't watched it because I keep meaning to watch it with friends.  I've owned it for probably 3-4 years now.  This is not uncommon with me.  Still saving it.  My understanding is.... it's an "ambitious" film.  

• Like 3

The Visitor is fantastic. It's like nine good movies thrown into a bingo hopper.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 6:07 PM, Cameron H. said:

I think I remember when that happened. It’s happened a few other times as well. I want to say it happened to Taylor Anne relatively recently, but I could be mistaken.

It did happen to me, but I can't remember what episode it was for anymore. I only remember hearing the phone call and thinking, "That's literally word for word what I commented on the boards..." I came onto the minisode thread and complained a bit (classic taylor) and it seemed like they took notice and quit doing calls for C&Os for a while. Alas, here we are again and the same shit is still happening.

• Like 2
  • Hedgehog 3

20 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

It did happen to me, but I can't remember what episode it was for anymore. I only remember hearing the phone call and thinking, "That's literally word for word what I commented on the boards..." I came onto the minisode thread and complained a bit (classic taylor) and it seemed like they took notice and quit doing calls for C&Os for a while. Alas, here we are again and the same shit is still happening.

It was something something "a movie that shared a universe with Thor." Don't remember which movie, but I remember being a part of an exchange jumping off from that post and feeling bad that you got sniped.

And yeah, it blows to get your stuff plagiarized, and I generally agree with everyone who has said so, but partially, I'm of the mind that everybody here knows that tayloranne made that "bifrost bridge joke" (or whatever it was) first, just like everyone here knows that Vegas820 made the comment about Disneyland ride tickets, like, minutes after the boards were even open for Disclosure, and so on. We all know what's up. The callers can't vouch for each other the way the board-posters can.

It's easy for me to be glib since it hasn't happened to me, I guess. But while I probably first started coming to the boards out of a desire to get read on the minisode, I'm now just as excited to hear which of y'all's posts get read, because we've been talking about this shit for a week and I've read through the entire board a half-dozen times by the time Friday rolls around. So just know, homies, that if you get poached ...

source.gif

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

It was something something "a movie that shared a universe with Thor." Don't remember which movie, but I remember being a part of an exchange jumping off from that post and feeling bad that you got sniped.

And yeah, it blows to get your stuff plagiarized, and I generally agree with everyone who has said so, but partially, I'm of the mind that everybody here knows that tayloranne made that "bifrost bridge joke" (or whatever it was) first, just like everyone here knows that Vegas820 made the comment about Disneyland ride tickets, like, minutes after the boards were even open for Disclosure, and so on. We all know what's up. The callers can't vouch for each other the way the board-posters can.

It's easy for me to be glib since it hasn't happened to me, I guess. But while I probably first started coming to the boards out of a desire to get read on the minisode, I'm now just as excited to hear which of y'all's posts get read, because we've been talking about this shit for a week and I've read through the entire board a half-dozen times by the time Friday rolls around. So just know, homies, that if you get poached ...

source.gif

This did not jog my memory at all omg. I do somewhat remember a bifrost bridge joke but I don't think I can take credit for that one 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

This did not jog my memory at all omg. I do somewhat remember a bifrost bridge joke but I don't think I can take credit for that one 😂

Okay, I got curious so I looked it up. It was the Freejack episode that I was thinking of:

On 2/7/2018 at 5:29 PM, The_Triple_Lindy said:

This week, my DLM Challenge viewing has been dedicated to catching up on the Marvel flicks, and when I got to Thor: The Dark World, I wondered if Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins considered it a Freejack reunion.

Or perhaps a continuation, wherein McCandless successfully seduced Julie Redlund and lures her into the Spiritual Switchboard so they could rule virtual Asgard as king and queen.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:48 AM, taylorannephoto said:

So what you're really saying is that the Thor movies are in a Jacob's Ladder situation?

Reveal hidden contents

I'm so sorry y'all I had to do it.

On 2/8/2018 at 11:53 AM, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Jacob's Ladder = Bifrost Bridge

We had this exchange, and then a caller during "Explanation Hopeline" hypothesized that while Anthony Hopkins' brain was dying, his Jacob's Ladder death dream was about how he was Odin, etc.

This may not have been the one that you were referring to. Meanwhile, I had forgotten what a fucked up movie Freejack was.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Okay, I got curious so I looked it up. It was the Freejack episode that I was thinking of:

We had this exchange, and then a caller during "Explanation Hopeline" hypothesized that while Anthony Hopkins' brain was dying, his Jacob's Ladder death dream was about how he was Odin, etc.

This may not have been the one that you were referring to. Meanwhile, I had forgotten what a fucked up movie Freejack was.

Omg, I totally 100% forgot about this! I'm amazed at how funny and smart we are lol! But yeah this wasn't the one I was specifically thinking of but I do remember now thinking the same thing about that caller lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Omg, I totally 100% forgot about this! I'm amazed at how funny and smart we are lol! But yeah this wasn't the one I was specifically thinking of but I do remember now thinking the same thing about that caller lol!

I swear to God, we’re all fucking geniuses. Every single one of us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I swear to God, we’re all fucking geniuses. Every single one of us.

I dunno about that, I just come up with stupid jokes to pop myself, and try to make Paul laugh.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2019 at 9:34 PM, taylorannephoto said:

Yup, one of mine also got read word-for-word by a caller. I wasn't sure if it was a real caller or if the staff just had someone pose as a caller to give them more material for the "call-in" section.

• Like 5

I still haven't found what episode my post got read word for word, but I did find that Tomspanks had a thought taken from Sleepwalkers. Looks like we've all been straight tooken at some point with these calls.

• Like 4

I'm 30 seconds into Starcrash, I already want to kick Paul's ass.

• Like 3

Okay, I'm going to say this now.  Tomorrow's thread for the episode, I'm putting it out there, I might have my magnum opus for jokes I've made on this board, I just cracked myself up, and quite frankly, I found it so funny, I don't care if nobody else does.

• Like 4

Even though none of my comments have been plagiarised (I know I haven't been posting much in the show threads), I do take that sort of thing pretty seriously. Last year, some of my comments (of a more weighty topic) were read uncredited on a podcast that I greatly admired, so I had the unenviable task of contacting the show and saying "hey... the show is great... but those are my words."

The host immediately apologized profusely, other people from the show reached out to me, and I ended up guesting on the show. So they took it very seriously and demonstrated that what I had to say mattered, and that meant a lot. So for HDTGM or random callers in their cars to use someone's words as their own really irks me. The people who post here have both brilliant and hilarious insights. They deserve to be recognized.

With all that said, I am really looking forward to hearing The Gang discuss Starcrash and The Visitor. Those movies are fonts of bonkers cinema!

• Like 2

On 10/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, The_Triple_Lindy said:

It gave us Faberge Eggs in South Philly. How could you forget?!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Smigg. said:

Okay, I'm going to say this now.  Tomorrow's thread for the episode, I'm putting it out there, I might have my magnum opus for jokes I've made on this board, I just cracked myself up, and quite frankly, I found it so funny, I don't care if nobody else does.

Thanks for letting us know! Now we'll all have the Hopeline on speed-dial, ready to read it over the phone :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

As long as we are warning people about taking over the boards if/when a certain movie is done, I should warn you that this will happen with me when they do Megaforce, which was the Montreal live show. I have seen this film so many times. The only one I would go harder at is Road House, but I assume they won't ever cover that picture. I would probably also go off on an episode about Torque, but I wonder if they are not doing that because it would offend Adam Scott? I really wish they would do it with him as the (willing) guest.

• Like 1