🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wien

This Means War (2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAqVvlR5DQ

This Means War is a 2012 romantic comedy action film directed by McG. The film stars Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Tom Hardy as victims of a love triangle in which two CIA agents and best friends (Pine and Hardy) discover that they are dating the same woman (Witherspoon).

Based upon 129 reviews, it received a 25% "rotten" score on Rotten Tomatoes. Among 35 top critics, it had an approval rating of 23% with the consensus saying, "A career lowlight for all three of its likable stars, This Means War is loud, clumsily edited, and neither romantic nor funny."

A good rule of thumb: If a movie's director has a one-name moniker, you're in trouble. Even more so if it's something completely inexplicable and made-up, like Pitof or McG.

My favorite review of this movie was the Onion AV Club's, which pointed out how strange it is that nobody brings up what a creepy invasion of privacy it is to have two spies using their work equipment to monitor the girl they're dating.

• Like 1

I loathed it from just the poster.. we dubbed it Big face and Oily hair.

Ha I saw this with my girlfriend and was shocked about how many insanely egregious logistical errors there were in that movie. This totally deserves a show.

I think what most needs to be talked about is the fact that Witherspoon's character ignores all the sociopathic things her two men do. Tom Hardy beats the shit out of a two dozen people while playing paintball, VIOLENTLY!

There's a scene where the two guys demolish, seriously not a glass remained intact, a restaurant in a brawl with each other and when Witherspoon comes out of the bathroom all she can say is, "you two know each other?"

This movie was BAD

• Like 1

It sounds like the rival studio movie to Mr & Mrs Smith (and that awful J.J. Abrams tv show that tanked recently) but got released 2 years too late.

What a complete and utter boring waste of time this film was. I don't think i have ever seen a more predictable film that this. Even the supposed tension of who Reese Witherspoon will pick by the end of the film is completely obvious from the second you find out that Tom Hardy has a kid and an ex-wife and Chris Pine does not. If you can not figure out who she ends up with from that you are an idiot. No, really. You must be mentally challenged or something. It's a simple as that. But not only was this film totally predictable, it also had terrible action and comedy. Chelsea Handler has to be one of the least funny persons ever. I have no idea how she is so popular in America.

And all the characters were unlikable as well. Both of the guys are total douchebags that keeps lying to this girl and basically tricking her in to liking them and eventually sleeping with them. But that's not the worst. At one point Reese Witherspoon find out that Tom Hardy and Chris Pine know each other and goes on this rant about how she trusted them and lied to her when she has DATED THE BOTH OF THEM WITHOUT TELLING THEM THIS ENTIRE FILM! What a bitch! Seriously, she knows that both of these guys are totally in love with her, and yet she keeps dating the both of them and even ends up having sex with the both of them! And then Chelsea Handler says it's all right because guys do that kind of stuff all the time. No we don't! Just assholes do that!

The film also has this completely useless sub-plot with Til Schweiger as a villain that we only see at the beginning of the film and then again at the very end. He served no purpose in the film other than to add a lame action scene at the end where the two main guys can go back to being best friends again. This is the worst movie i have seen all year. Hell, it's one of the worst movies i have ever seen period. The more i keep thinking about it, the worse it get's. I rented this film for free, and i still want some money back.

I was so angry at this film i must have forgotten to search if there already was a thread for it. I'm sorry.

This happened to be on FX the other day, and I caught the last 5 mins of it. Even being only 5 minutes of the film, and being completely out of context, it was still just a pancake layering of absurd scene on top of absurd scene with some of the worst dialog sprinkled on top like some shitty powder sugar. I can't even imagine what sitting an enduring the entirety of this film must be like. I think I'd like to retract this suggestion.

• Like 1

Oh man. I keep catching parts of it on FX too and I think if you had pitched a movie to me that puts Capt Kirk up against Bane I'd be like "FUCK YES!!!" and then if you were to tell me they were fighting over Reese Witherspoon I would be like "oh, nevermind"

That trailer link seems to not work. I want to re-up on this, I would like to see the gang get back into the modern era romcom genre for a bit (has it really been since From Justin to Kelly? March of 2013?).

From a USA Today article promoting "The Drop":

"I love to do things I hadn't done before," says Hardy. Which explains that one time he tried on the big ol' studio rom-com This Means War – and, well, hated it.

"I didn't understand how you could do something which is so much fun and be so miserable doing it," he says, blaming himself for feeling "other" on set. So consider that box checked. "I probably won't do a romantic comedy again, do you know what I mean?"

Sign in to follow this