🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Holy forking shirt balls. This film is pretty bonkers and I won’t spoil anything. I liked it but—like Darren Aronofsky’s Mother!, Ari Aster films and other arty horror films—it’s a lot to digest and not for everyone. Robert Pattinson and Willem Defoe are both great, the film is masterfully shot and crafted,, but I’m not entirely sure what it’s trying to say. I JUST saw it so I’m still processing. If I were to grade my initial impressions, I’d say between a B+ and an A. I wanted it to end and yet I wanted to see it again. 

I did find The Witch—which I loved—more accessible. I’ll say that much.

• Like 1

I think the movie is basically a Lovecraftian horror movie (based on my limited knowledge of Lovecraft). It's just a person, or possibly two people, going mad from exposure to isolation and seeing an otherworldly monster.

I didn't care much for the movie. I appreciated the look of it. I think the acting was top notch. I'm really glad Robert Pattinson is shedding Twilight and I hope he starts getting the recognition he deserves. But I was bored for a lot of the movie and nothing really came to anything I found compelling.

• Like 2

I agree with you—I was also bored at points—but I also still liked it. It’s definitely Lovecraftian. 

I think it’s very much an A24 horror movie, meaning it’s mostly about provocative style, which you either go for or you don’t. A24 horror films that have worked for me were this one, The Witch, Hereditary, It Comes at Night and Under the Skin. Most of the time it’s the acting that helps sell these films for me. Midsommar was the only one that fell flat for me (and it wasn’t due to acting).

Most of these films I won’t see multiple times. But The Lighthouse had enough of a “what the fuck did I just watch” quality to it that I did like it and will see it again.

• Like 1

This film was shot a couple of hours away in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, much to the bemusement of the locals. It was one of the gala presentations at our local film fest this year and the attendees included Willem DeFoe (he of the confounding penis) and the director. I have yet to see it but hope to in the next week or so.

I was kind of vaguely unsatisfied with how the movie ended. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I guess I hoped it would go somewhere more interesting or unexpected, but then it was pretty much a . . .

Jacob's Ladder scenario.

It was definitely well-made and well-acted. I also think Willem Dafoe's inspiration was clear:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 2:19 PM, sycasey 2.0 said:

I was kind of vaguely unsatisfied with how the movie ended. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I guess I hoped it would go somewhere more interesting or unexpected, but then it was pretty much a . . .

Reveal hidden contents

Jacob's Ladder scenario.

It was definitely well-made and well-acted. I also think Willem Dafoe's inspiration was clear:

giphy.gif

It's not exactly a given what it was.  I've read an interview with Eggers where mentioned Lost Highway and how there are papers out there neatly breaking down what's going on the movie with reality and how he doesn't want that. He wants a messy movie (though, I think in comparison, that's less of Lost Highway's aim and more the aim of the people who write papers and what-have-you about Lost Highway). (Though, that was also my take leaving the movie. I've since heard theories that it could actually just be one person on the island/etc)

Admittedly I'm in the boat (har!) of really enjoying the movie, but tempered by not being sure if it adds up to something (which sounds similar to your reaction).

So I'm withholding my opinion mostly until I rewatch it when it comes out to buy. I have enough movies that I enjoy noticeably more on second viewings of this nature (e.g. Berberian Sound Studio, In Fabric, The Master), that I want to give Eggers the benefit of the doubt after The VVitch and nothing in The Lighthouse makes that seem like a fluke, but again, can't say for sure how well it'll sit with me on a rewatch, knowing how things turn out beforehand. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

So I'm withholding my opinion mostly until I rewatch it when it comes out to buy. I have enough movies that I enjoy noticeably more on second viewings of this nature (e.g. Berberian Sound Studio, In Fabric, The Master), that I want to give Eggers the benefit of the doubt after The VVitch and nothing in The Lighthouse makes that seem like a fluke, but again, can't say for sure how well it'll sit with me on a rewatch, knowing how things turn out beforehand. 

Yes, it's possible this could improve upon second viewing. Mulholland Dr. was like that for me (to invoke Lynch as Eggers seems to want to).

Yea I mostly agree with you all. But I basically I put aside my need for things to add up and just was like 'this is so nuts that i love it.' haha.

also am curious how it will hold up after that first craziness, but for now I love it (and The Witch, Eggers has really impressed on me).

Stupid question - how do you do spoilers/hidden contents?

I've never seen it in the editor.

ETA:

Testing guesses

test 1

[HIDDEN]test 2[/HIDDEN]

nevermind. I guess I figured it out. I thought I tried the spoiler tag in the past. Oh well.

ETA2:

Testing just to see if capitalization matters

(I wonder if I tried "spoilers" for my tag instead of "spoiler" in the past and that's why it didn't work).

Lower-case

test 3

Capitalized

test 4

3 hours ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

Stupid question - how do you do spoilers/hidden contents?

I've never seen it in the editor.

ETA:

Testing guesses

Reveal hidden contents

test 1

[HIDDEN]test 2[/HIDDEN]

nevermind. I guess I figured it out. I thought I tried the spoiler tag in the past. Oh well.

There’s a spoiler tag? I don’t know how to hide things either.

Sign in to follow this