🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Musical Mondays Week 81 Preview (CamBert's Pick)

Happy Turkey Day y'all!

For today's entry I want to talk about the importance of the mix in the playlist. See you can't just have all upbeat or downbeat songs. You can't go all hard or soft you need to vary things up. One of the things all Christmas playlist should have is an instrumental piece. You can have a few but I believe every Christmas playlist needs one good instrumental piece in it. If you're having a party it's all background anyway so you just need the feel and mood of the music. If you're just listening to it, the instrumental is just a nice little break. The trick is find the genre and tone that's right for you.

From Newage!

To Jazz!

To surf rock!

To funk!

There is an instrumental piece right for you!

• Like 3

On 11/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, Cam Bert said:

It still blows my mind how new this is.

What do you mean by this being "new"?

• Like 2

I watched the movie yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'm glad I bought instead of renting it.  Will definitely watch it again.

• Like 2

If we've headed to instrumentals maybe we can veer to spoken word for a moment.  A nice Christmas story from Geoffrey Lewis (The Lawnmower Man) and Celestial Navigations.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

If we've headed to instrumentals maybe we can veer to spoken word for a moment.  A nice Christmas story from Geoffrey Lewis (The Lawnmower Man) and Celestial Navigations.

Another one, Christmas from a different point of view.

• Like 2

ok, this is cheating, but this entire album is a Christmas classic. My mom has played it every year since I was a kid. I can’t pick a “best” song off of here, so I’ll let people decide for themselves. Apologies if this seems lazy.

• Like 4

well if you're gonna give us some Joan, it's only appropriate to follow it up with Bob Dylan's out-of-nowhere album full of Christmas carols a few years ago. it rules

• Like 3

I missed yesterday!  Double post incoming! 

• Like 2

I've been enjoying everybody's picks so maybe I'll keep this going awhile long.

For the last (offical) day of posting these songs I am going to take a risk and post some songs you'll probably won't listen to all the way through but might find interesting. So I've been living in Japan now for... 15-16 years and to me one of the things I miss is Christmas. Now Japan does Christmas but it's for little kids and lovers. New Years is just around the corner and that's the big "return to your family's home and have a big meal" holiday. As a result while Christmas decorations are everywhere they don't celebrate in the same way. When it comes to Christmas music you basically just get one Christmas song and some generic pop song played non-stop everywhere (All I Want for Christmas is You and Last Christmas) so when Japanese singers write Christmas songs they tend to be love songs because Christmas is for lovers. Some are Christmas themed in word others are not. Every so often one of these songs will break through and become a "classic" destined to be played in December. Here are some.

The children's Christmas song of Japan. Flustered Santa!

Christmas Eve by Tatsuro Yamashita. This song was used in special Christmas Japanese Rail ads throughout the 90s and even early 2000s. It is THE Japanese adult Christmas Song and if a Japanese person heard it would either say "Ah, Christmas" or just laugh.

My love, Santa Claus by  Yumi Matsutoya is somewhere between I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus and Backdoor Santa. Originally recorded in 1980 and covered by most every pop idol since.

Everything by Misia. Is a really beautiful song and a personal favourite of mine. It's not really a Christmas song per say but actually a love song. But it happened to be released around Christmas, deals with love and was on a hit drama which used this song in a Christmas context. You'll hear it outside of Christmas but has kinda defacto became a Christmas song.

So great was it Boyz II Men covered it!

• Like 2