🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 81 Summer Stock

27 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Just thinking more about it, to me the best example in this movie of how Phil Silvers normally is was the cow milking scene. He tricks Gene Kelly into doing something for him and then is saucy to the cow. 

Speaking of that cow milking scene, I was waiting for Gene to make a “this is udderly ridiculous” joke.  He didn’t 😒

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Speaking of that cow milking scene, I was waiting for Gene to make a “this is udderly ridiculous” joke.  He didn’t 😒

That would have been too a-moo-sing

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Omaxem said:

Gene Kelly is so attractive ( to me ) that i can't see anything with him in it. I just... zone... out.

I know he was straight, i know he wasn't nice to his co-stars in Singing In The Rain, i know he is dead. I don't care.

Sorry, i just needed to get that off my chest and onto the internets.

You might be one of the few who would enjoy the hell out of Xanadu.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

This is not the best example of Phil Silvers in my opinion. 

To me his style of comedy was that of being the smarmy ass. He was smarter than those around him and had contempt for those around him in it came out in his little asides. We was never really the wacky slapstick guy even though his comedy contained some element of that. For me he was more like weaselly yet likable guy kind of guy. 

I agree with this.  I can't speak to the Sgt. Bilko show but I love him in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Licking his lips when hearing the money story is perfect.

The beginning of this clip is what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

I want to take a poll. So early in the rotation we had Easter Parade which had Judy Garland and Fred Astaire and now we have Summer Stock which is Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. Now I don't want to start the Astaire vs Kelly debates again too much, but which pairing do you think or if you recall had more chemistry or was just the general better match up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I want to take a poll. So early in the rotation we had Easter Parade which had Judy Garland and Fred Astaire and now we have Summer Stock which is Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. Now I don't want to start the Astaire vs Kelly debates again too much, but which pairing do you think or if you recall had more chemistry or was just the general better match up?

I liked Kelly and Garland far more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I didn’t see the first one, but thought the chemistry was what made Summer Stock work.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Kelly all the way. Astaire is great but I honestly like him for his dancing most of all . I never seem to see anyone but Fred Astaire in his roles

• Like 2

I prefer Judy + Gene.  Take this with a grain of salt, because I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about, but I prefer Judy in the barn, in a tap-dance-off, rather than being lead around the ballroom floor doing a quickstep.  Not that Judy is an inelegant dancer or anything, but I think I prefer her dancing with Gene.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 1:20 AM, Cameron H. said:

Although similar, Summer Stock is far more flavorful and well-rounded than Summer Broth.

We watched;

17953.jpg

I just REALLY looked at this poster and it’s fucking awesome.

Makes me wonder if they’re going to a production of Midsommar in Sommerlojer. I think Midsommar would actually be improved by being a musical.

• Like 3

Although similar, Summer Stock is far more flavorful and well-rounded than Summer Broth.

We watched;

17953.jpg

Ok, somehow I reposted this multiple times. Apologies.

• Like 1

We watched;

17953.jpg

I’m not allowed to erase the posts so let’s take another moment to appreciate the poster, shall we?

• Like 1

We watched;

17953.jpg

Truly, it’s majestic.

Edited by GrahamS.
Because I can’t fucking erase it!
  • Like 2

Edited by GrahamS.
See above.

7 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:
On 12/2/2019 at 4:20 AM, Cameron H. said:

Where’s the poster?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought we needed a couple of reflective, empty posts to let the experience sink in.

it’s a Zen thing, I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Makes me wonder if they’re going to a production of Midsommar in Sommerlojer. I think Midsommar would actually be improved by being a musical.

Most of the songs would be a woman wailing 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

Most of the songs would be a woman wailing 

Shhhh! I have to wait another two months to see it! At least I'm now a month away from Parasite.

For the record I prefer Astaire to Kelly, but I do think Kelly does make for the far better romantic lead.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Shhhh! I have to wait another two months to see it! At least I'm now a month away from Parasite.

Just keep you expectations in check. That’s all I’ll say.

21 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I think Midsommar would have been improved by ending after the first big shock.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

You're almost there!  What wacky title translation will Japan come up with?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomspanks said:

You're almost there!  What wacky title translation will Japan come up with?

For Parasite or Midsommar? I’d be curious to hear both.

• Like 2

Sommerløjer, had me a blast

Sommerløjer, happened so fast

I met a girl crazy for me

I met a boy cute as can be

• Like 4

On 12/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, gigi-tastic said:

I literally said out loud at least five times " Christ he's hot" or various versions of that. Gene Kelly  can GET IT even in the great beyond.

Gene Kelly does more with rolled up sleeves than most actors can do with a full-on nude scene.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aefa11db9786917b4ba

• Like 4
  • Haha 1