🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ChaseRoper

The Rock (1996)

I was watching this on TV the other day and all I could think of was how badly I wished I could go listen to a HDTGM right after.

Not a bad movie as such... could have been Con-Air cheesy.. even if the ending was equally stupid. Not a favorite but certainly not bad.

If you re-watch this movie, I promise you won't be able to see Nic Cage without thinking of everything that is wrong with Nic Cage.

• Like 1

Challenge Accepted.. I'll give it a re-watch its been more than a few years since it was last on.. it become one of those Christmas tv movies in UK... gets thrown on to fill space. I do recall casually enjoying it.. but I'll hunt out a copy.

I stand corrected... dear me yeah the dialogue is absolutely terrible and the plot more ridiculous than I recalled. I can see it was in the 'just because' mold where, to get things done, every character has to be an idiot and terrible at their job, zero subtly or finesse... just get it done. Cast is mostly C grade but at least some faces and competent actors performing well enough.

I can see they were going for spectacle but it seems really dumb when they do exposition by having characters not understand how their jobs and equipment work and explain it to each other.. such a jarringly stupid way to do it. Cars that explode when you look at them.. really dates the action too.. its so hard to get away with that nonsense any more without it being firmly tongue-in-cheek.

Its always fun with Cage.. watching him freak out is spectacular, not always in a good way but interesting none the less.. a restrained Cage can still be powerful to watch, i.e. Lord of War but give me ranting Cage any day.

• Like 1

"The Rock" would be a fucking awesome movie for you guys to do. I feel's very similar in many ways to "Face Off" and even more so to "Con-Air." It would also make a wonderful addition to the recent Sean Connery themed movies that have been on the show. Also this movie is fucking bonkers!!! I mean come on, Sean Connery, Nick Cage, chemical weapons, terrorist, Alcatraz, Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer, fucking explosions, and a British secret agent. What else can you ask for?

• Like 1

100% agree. I just watched this for the first time and made fun of through the entire thing. This movie is awful. It never approaches ConAir level so-bad-it's-good, but it was pretty entertainingly bad.

Just watched it again last week on Netflix. Falls into the Crank/Face Off/Con Air camp. Ludricrous but incredibly watchable. Also Michael Bay's best film by a long shot.

One thing that stood out: the biggest set piece in this action film (Connery's chase through San Fran) comes before they ever get to Alcatraz!

• Like 1

This has to be one of those movies they're holding back for someone special because this movie would be such an amazing episode.

Between the dialogue, plot, and the myriad of actors choices that Nic Cage is making this movie really is something to behold.

This paired with Bad Boys 2 would be a pretty wonderful live show

Okay they have to do this fucking movie. If only to discuss for two hours what this movie would have looked like if Schwarzenegger actually accepted the role of Stanley Goodspeed.

Jump to 2:20 for the him talking about The Rock

• Like 2

Watching this on IFC right now, and the dialogue is horrible. I keep thinking about Connery's suit scene in "Highlander" and wondering if he demands a nice suit from every production he's on?

Also, apparently there are theories that Connery's character (Mason) is actually James Bond because he's supposed to be British intelligence. This makes me wonder if Sean Connery every actually plays a character or if he just does the same thing in every movie?

And Nick Cage!

This movie is so silly, I still love the fact that the nukes are filled with what appear to be giant grape clusters.

Sign in to follow this