đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
achoohorsey16

Playmobil: The Movie (2019)

Playmobil: The Movie

Dir. Lino DiSalvo

Wr. Lino DiSalvo, Blaise Hemingway

Star. Anya Taylor-Joy, Gabriel Bateman

Oh boy. Well we have a new movie record - This new animated film based on the French toy line has had a crappy opening. According to Variety, "Stx's animated adventure generated less than $1 million despite launching in 2,337 North American theaters and now stands as one of the worst opening weekends of all time." It's interesting to note that the film's ticket entry price was $5, lower than the average movie ticket price. I've never heard of a film doing this before, so if you know of any others, please let us know. I'm sure it was trying to compensate going up against Frozen II. But c'mon, it should have just pushed back release. Or, you know, gone straight to DVD or just never come out. 

Somehow this movie cost $75 million to make. So it's definitely a write-off for the producers. By the way, Stx was the distributor, and I believe they came up with the $5 ticket price gimmick. And they don't really sounds like they give a shit about having such a flop on their hands - They're not losing money here so who cares?

Also, the movie actually played internationally in August. Oversees, it only made $12.5 million. All of these details and more are in that Variety article above. 

I saw a preview before Knives Out. The way the preview played it seemed like a made-up joke. They didn’t even turn the sound up like the other previews. I didn’t know it was real until I saw it listed on RT,

• Thanks 1

It's like someone said "You know that Lego movie from five years ago that was such a big hit and great advertising for the brand? What if we did that, but with our knockoff toy that's about 20% as popular?" It's even combined live-action and animated.

Then the second Lego Movie just barely broke even and they came up with the $5 gimmick, possibly also after this one didn't do well overseas.

RT score of 17% and their Critic's Consensus is "Much like the toys it advertises, Playmobil: The Movie seems sadly destined to be regarded as a superficially similar yet less desirable alternative to the competition."

FWIW, the toys appear to be German, not French, but it's not like anyone cares that much about them.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this