🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 228.5 — Minisode 228.5

Is Irish step dancing badly represented in High Strung? Find this out and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for High Strung, and opens up the Mail Bag. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!
This episode is brought to you by Away (www.awaytravel.com/bonkers).
Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/
Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgm.com!
Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter
@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

• Like 1

In my defense I was planning on like giving his mom cash to buy a gift that he would like. Another person suggested that I offer an experience as a gift so I'm getting tickets to the local science museum. 

• Like 1

wait, i'm confused - is the Ebell show on 12/20 rescheduled? at the beginning, Paul seemed to say so, but later in the episode he said something like "that's why you should come to the Ebell on Dec. 20".

what I'm asking: will I be spending next Friday listening to people talk about a dumb Christmas movie, or will I be staying home and watching dumb Christmas movies?

• Like 1

My understanding (but I can’t say with 100% certainty) is that the Ebell show is cancelled due to scheduling conflicts with one or more of the hosts.  They’ll be doing The Spirit of Christmas in studio instead.  And they’ll do another show at the Ebell at some point in the future.

I imagine that they recorded this minisode before the show was canceled and when it was Paul added new audio to explain the cancellation but they either forgot about that later reference to the Ebell show in the episode or didn’t feel like editing that out.

Again, if I’m wrong someone else can feel free to correct me.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DrGuts1003 said:

My understanding (but I can’t say with 100% certainty) is that the Ebell show is cancelled due to scheduling conflicts with one or more of the hosts.  They’ll be doing The Spirit of Christmas in studio instead.  And they’ll do another show at the Ebell at some point in the future.

I imagine that they recorded this minisode before the show was canceled and when it was Paul added new audio to explain the cancellation but they either forgot about that later reference to the Ebell show in the episode or didn’t feel like editing that out.

Again, if I’m wrong someone else can feel free to correct me.

Yea, those are basically the assumptions I was making too, but was hoping for some confirmation, because the later reference truly threw me for a loop. 

Haven't found anything online to confirm, or got an email about my tickets, or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Also, did anyone try this yet?

I did. 

ETA: I’ll elaborate. I signed up and got a few responses from Paul. I think it’s a cool way to communicate that isn’t as potentially loaded or as fraught as normal Internet interactions can be. 

That being said, even though he’s the one who reached out to me first, and I’m sure he has a way of filtering all the responses, I can’t but feel like I’m bothering him. That could be my own personal hang up though.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I did. 

ETA: I’ll elaborate. I signed up and got a few responses from Paul. I think it’s a cool way to communicate that isn’t as potentially loaded or as fraught as normal Internet interactions can be. 

That being said, even though he’s the one who reached out to me first, and I’m sure he has a way of filtering all the responses, I can’t but feel like I’m bothering him. That could be my own personal hang up though.  

Yea I sent a text saying 'please do Rockula on HDTGM' 😎

I got two clear AI responses, but no real response.

So, I don't think you're wasting his time, he's texting who he wants!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Also, did anyone try this yet?

So, wait. Is this an app we get or do we just text the number?

Of course, I probably will never actually use it because I'm not sure what I would text Paul Sheer about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

So, wait. Is this an app we get or do we just text the number?

Of course, I probably will never actually use it because I'm not sure what I would text Paul Sheer about.

Text the number and ask for Rockula and find out!

• Like 3

Anyway, I think it's an app for Paul, but for us, it's just a number.

He can use the app to handle the messages so we're not directly bugging him/invading his own phone. Just an easier way for him to communicate with fans, I think. 

It's with this app: https://www.community.com/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Anyway, I think it's an app for Paul, but for us, it's just a number.

He can use the app to handle the messages so we're not directly bugging him/invading his own phone. Just an easier way for him to communicate with fans, I think. 

It's with this app: https://www.community.com/

This is what it is. He can send out notifications or engage personally if he feels like it. 

• Like 1

Regarding toys for 4-year-olds, I think the caller might be stressing about it a bit too much. Like Paul said, kids that age really aren’t too savvy about what they want. To them, everything is new and you can never really tell what’s going to resonate or not. Even with my own kids, I’ve bought my kids stuff that I thought they would love only for them to be apathetic about it. Which, I agree with Paul, is almost worse than getting them nothing. I have also seen them fall in love with stuff that I never would have guessed. For example, I did a charity run a couple weeks ago and they gave us participation gifts (or whatever you call it) that included a cheap, plush Chik-fil-a cow. My youngest son sleeps with it every night 🙄

I would suggest either doing what Paul suggests and ask the parents (even though that’s not even 100%) or just find something that looks cool to you. I would avoid licensed stuff unless you know for a fact the kid is into that specific character. Your best bet is to go with something arts and crafty. Something they can actually do something with. 

However, whatever you do, don’t get things that make noise. I have an almost identical story to Paul’s regarding a toy train. These things get so loud it actually hurts your ears when you turn them off. And when you finally get fed up and take the toy away because it’s “broken,” you have to deal with disappointed children - which is never fun.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Regarding toys for 4-year-olds, I think the caller might be stressing about it a bit too much. Like Paul said, kids that age really aren’t too savvy about what they want. To them, everything is new and you can never really tell what’s going to resonate or not. Even with my own kids, I’ve bought my kids stuff that I thought they would love only for them to be apathetic about it. Which, I agree with Paul, is almost worse than getting them nothing. I have also seen them fall in love with stuff that I never would have guessed. For example, I did a charity run a couple weeks ago and they gave us participation gifts (or whatever you call it) that included a cheap, plush Chik-fil-a cow. My youngest son sleeps with it every night 🙄

I would suggest either doing what Paul suggests and ask the parents (even though that’s not even 100%) or just find something that looks cool to you. I would avoid licensed stuff unless you know for a fact the kid is into that specific character. Your best bet is to go with something arts and crafty. Something they can actually do something with. 

However, whatever you do, don’t get things that make noise. I have an almost identical story to Paul’s regarding a toy train. These things get so loud it actually hurts your ears when you turn them off. And when you finally get fed up and take the toy away because it’s “broken,” you have to deal with disappointed children - which is never fun.

Oh I was deeply stressed, children terrify me especially really young ones! Thankfully I have figured it out I'm getting him tickets for the local children's museum/ science museum because someone else suggested that I give an experience. If that fails we go with Candy Land!

• Like 1

Just watched Spirit of Christmas and Holiday in Handcuffs. I can't wait to hear what Jason has to say about that sweet ghost D! What a joy

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 7:10 PM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Is this a Hallmark movie? Are we breaking the boycott? And which boycott are we breaking? https://www.advocate.com/business/2019/12/13/advertiser-cuts-ties-hallmark-channel-pulling-lesbian-ad

Good news? Hallmark is reinstating LGBT friendly advertising. So now we may have a counter-counter-boycott? 

https://www.glaad.org/blog/victory-hallmark-channel-will-reinstate-lgbtq-inclusive-advertisements-after-glaad-and-lgbtq

• Like 2

Anybody with more info on the Ebell show? Obviously he said on the mini episode that it's canceled, but there's zero info anywhere else and tickets are still being sold.

• Like 1

YEa I'd love some clarification because the mini-Ep was confusing. And the tickets weren't cheap, I'd like my money back if I'm not going to go to a show.

24 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

YEa I'd love some clarification because the mini-Ep was confusing. And the tickets weren't cheap, I'd like my money back if I'm not going to go to a show.

On the one hand, it has to be canceled - they announced it as next (this) week's episode which can only happen if they record between now and Friday.

On the other hand, really strange they wouldn't tweet something to that effect (they tweeted about their SF appearance within the last few hours), and REALLY strange they're still selling tickets.

So I assume it's canceled and not being handled very well, but I'd really like to know.

2 minutes ago, Treat Williams said:

On the one hand, it has to be canceled - they announced it as next (this) week's episode which can only happen if they record between now and Friday.

On the other hand, really strange they wouldn't tweet something to that effect (they tweeted about their SF appearance within the last few hours), and REALLY strange they're still selling tickets.

So I assume it's canceled and not being handled very well, but I'd really like to know.

Someone said in another thread that the ep would come out on Monday instead; Paul apparently told them that on twitter before the mini-EP came out.

I'm also still seeing the event being promoted on Facebook

1 minute ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Someone said in another thread that the ep would come out on Monday instead; Paul apparently told them that on twitter before the mini-EP came out.

Huh. Well I guess we'll see. I made the assumption that it's Jason who became unavailable, which would be a pretty big bummer if they do it without him.

23 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I guess I'm overthinking this, and it must be canceled because Paul tweeted as such, but I sure would appreciate something official. I have child care to cancel etc etc etc

Yea, it's definitely canceled. Don't know what's up with Ticketmaster's side of it