🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 83 Preview (Cinco DeNio's Pick)

OK, enough.  Put your working-class hands together for the saviours of soul, the hardest-working band in the world.  Yes! Yes, yes!

61PCVHJT57L._SY445_.jpg

• Like 5

We're completing the Alan Parker trilogy (after Pink Floyd's The Wall and Evita) although I am looking at one or more of his movies for future picks.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

We're completing the Alan Parker trilogy (after Pink Floyd's The Wall and Evita) although I am looking at one or more of his movies for future picks.

Don't forget Bugsy Malone, so it's now four!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SlidePocket said:

Don't forget Bugsy Malone, so it's now four!  

Shucks.  I guess I'd better retract my pick then.  I wanted to be the third. 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Shucks.  I guess I'd better retract my pick then.  I wanted to be the third. 🙂

Bugsy Malone was week 22. Keep The Commitments!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SlidePocket said:

Bugsy Malone was week 22. Keep The Commitments!

Will do.  I'll be the first leg of the next Triple Crown.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Will do.  I'll be the first leg of the next Triple Crown.

I guess my next pick will have to be Fame.

• Like 4

The Commitments is currently 4.99 on iTunes if anyone is interested 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

The Commitments is currently 4.99 on iTunes if anyone is interested 😀

It's a Christmas miracle!

• Like 2

I first heard of the movie in 1990 or 1991 when I donated blood at the Red Cross.  A radio station was giving away CDs with each donation.  I knew the movie was coming out soon so I took the soundtrack CD and loved it.  Saw the movie and liked it then too.  I have watched it off and on since then.  Read the book before and am reading it again preparing for next week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I first heard of the movie in 1990 or 1991 when I donated blood at the Red Cross.  A radio station was giving away CDs with each donation.  I knew the movie was coming out soon so I took the soundtrack CD and loved it.  Saw the movie and liked it then too.  I have watched it off and on since then.  Read the book before and am reading it again preparing for next week.

Carrying on the theme a little, the video for Try A Little Tenderness was playing a lot on MTV and such.  I can't find the video version but here's a clip from the movie.  This video was a big reason I wanted to see the movie.

• Like 2

The guitarist in the movie, Outspan, is Glen Hansard.  He was the lead and a co-songwriter in the movie Once.  These are his only two movies.  He also did a voice in a Simpsons episode.

The Commitments

commitments.jpg

Once

once1.jpg

• Like 1

Since HDTGM dropped a re-release of Reindeer Games this week, should we do two weeks of The Commitments to keep us on track for off-weeks? Based on what Cinco just said, maybe we could double up with Once?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Since HDTGM dropped a re-release of Reindeer Games this week, should we do two weeks of The Commitments to keep us on track for off-weeks? Based on what Cinco just said, maybe we could double up with Once?

I approve of doubling up on Once.  That can be my next pick so no one loses their turn.  (I've never seen Once.  I know it's been made into a successful Broadway musical.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I approve of doubling up on Once.  That can be my next pick so no one loses their turn.  (I've never seen Once.  I know it's been made into a successful Broadway musical.)

I don’t think anyone needs to lose a turn. :) I just figured it would be a way of keeping us on track.

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

I don’t think anyone needs to lose a turn. :) I just figured it would be a way of keeping us on track.

I agree.  I just meant I didn't want it to be credited to someone, to have a pick forced on them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I agree.  I just meant I didn't want it to be credited to someone, to have a pick forced on them.

Oh, gotcha! No, everything will remain the same. I just figure this gives us two movies to discuss to stretch out the time.

• Thanks 1