🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

6 Underground (2019)

After the opening chase scene I realized this would make for a very interesting episode, as it's the most Michael Bay movie ever, but in a weird way. It's like Bay got into Jerry Bruckheimer's stash of coke and decided to make this movie as it's a bizarre mix of over the top humor and easily the most graphically violent film of Bay's career, even more so than 13 Hours. So seeing guys get literally skewered by debris during a car chase, all while there are various repeat jokes a la Family Guy being made, followed by spur of the moment sex scenes. Then at one point one of the team members is just playing Deadpool by quoting movie lines while beating people up. It's clear this angle is coming from the writers who also did Deadpool, but while it works in that situation because it's a comic book film, it doesn't work as well in a movie meant to be set in the real world. Plus having Ryan Reynolds giving the synopsis of his team every fifteen minutes gets irritating after the second or third time he does it.

80 minutes in and it is clear someone who made this movie listens to the podcast as they took a joke Jason made during the Streets of Fire episode about trying to knock a person out with a punch, but not being able to do with one. There is a 3 minute bit about this and while it's funny for the first 20 seconds, they keep going back to the well with it.

1000% yes, please cover this movie.  I watched it yesterday, and my constant thought throughout the entire movie was that it is perfect for HDTGM.  I intended to suggest this myself and was tickled to see it had so recently already been suggested. Scarily, there are indicators that sequels might happen.  Please.  Just.  No.  Also, this is a 2h 7m movie that easily could’ve been cut to 80 minutes and not lost anything.  So many plot holes and inconsistencies. And bad dialogue.  And as the original poster states, gratuitous sex scenes.  

Also, why were all the (spoiler alert: massacred) generals gross fat dudes while their (spoiler alert: also killed) immediate replacements were fit dudes that looked way more the part of high ranking military officers? 

This movie makes nearly no sense. 

Bay found Don Simpson’s old 80s coke stash and binged all of Tony Scott’s films is the best rationale for this mess. 

Apparently Bay was being held during his previous studio work because this is the most over the top, incoherent thing I’ve ever seen. 

He actually might be the worst action director ever.  There is not a single coherent shot at any point in this film. 

Sign in to follow this