🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

While I don't think this movie is bad in the least, it is absolutely crazy, especially the last 20 minutes or so. If you haven't seen it, do so now, it's on instant watch on Netflix and well worth your time. It's Jackie Chan at his best and there's a hoverboat chase in the end! What could be better than that?

Any pre-Hollywood Jackie Chan movie gets an automatic pass in my book.. every post Hollywood Jackie Chan is more than fair game.

Almost every single word is ADR, Mixed with diagloge that has absolutly no sub text, Crazy Jackie chan fight sequences = Perfect HDTGM movie

I used to have copies of a lot of Jackie Chan's films that came from foreign laserdisc releases and stuff, and it was kind of fascinating to see that the people in the movies weren't so much acting against one another, but just waiting for the other person to stop so that they could say THEIR line, because so many languages were being spoken and no one probably had any idea what the hell anyone else was saying. Also, it was interesting to see what got cut for American releases, as even "Rumble" had stuff in it that was SO Chinese or wouldn't make sense here, and while that kind of editing goes on all the time, it was pretty mind-blowing to my teenage self in the mid-90s since I'd actually seen a lot of the originals before they were re-packaged and re-released over here.

Almost every single word is ADR

Yeah, it's crazy how they would do that in a Cantonese-language action movie when they release it in America.

• Like 3

Why would they do this movie? They might as well do Citizen Kane if they go for this.

I always loved that he teamed up with the violent thugs to stop the even more violent business men/mobsters. That was a nice touch.

Yeah, this movie, in my opinion, is a classic. If you were going to do a Jackie Chan movie I'd say do one of his American movies that weren't really his style, like The Tuxedo or The Medallion or The Spy Next Door.

Yeah, it's crazy how they would do that in a Cantonese-language action movie when they release it in America.

Speaking of that though, they actually DO (or at least used to) dub movies over there in their OWN language, which is kinda crazy. I mean, we expect the dubbing to be pretty bad when it's dubbed into OTHER languages, but it turns out it isn't so great in the first place either.

Speaking of that though, they actually DO (or at least used to) dub movies over there in their OWN language, which is kinda crazy. I mean, we expect the dubbing to be pretty bad when it's dubbed into OTHER languages, but it turns out it isn't so great in the first place either.

To the best of my knowledge that was actually a common practice in Hong Kong filmmaking up until somewhere around the 90's I think, because it was more cost-effective and practical for them, plus often some actors that didn't speak the proper dialect or had a very different accent because they were from somewhere else, and they wanted it to be more uniform.

• Like 2

They dub into Cantonese?

I thought that a lot of the Hong Kong movies were dubbed into Mandarin since the majority of Chinese speak Mandarin and Cantonese, spoken by the inhabitants of Hong Kong, were spoken by only a minority and thus dubbing into Mandarin was done to appeal to the significantly larger Mandarin-speaking audience.

To the best of my knowledge that was actually a common practice in Hong Kong filmmaking up until somewhere around the 90's I think, because it was more cost-effective and practical for them, plus often some actors that didn't speak the proper dialect or had a very different accent because they were from somewhere else, and they wanted it to be more uniform.

This does make sense though.

Favorite parts:

- The uplifting speech Jackie Chan gives to the motocross gang after he destroys 80% of them, in which he says everyone thinks they're scum.

- They show blood in two separate scenes when a person gets shot in the leg in order to get information, but a man gets thrown into a wood chipper and there's no blood at all!

- THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING CHARACTERS ARE STILL DUBBED IN ENGLISH, GUYS

- Apparently everyone who works in the market leaves for lunch and the Reservoir Dog mob attaches chains from every support and pylon in the market to a single tow truck in the span of 2 minutes.

- The cops never say the leader of the gang is called the White Tiger, but Jackie inherently knows it and says it.

- The hovercraft driver giving the mobster with a gun on him a real "yeesh" look when his life is so in danger.

- YOU CAN REPAIR A HOVERCRAFT WITH DUCT TAPE????

- THE COPS LET JACKIE CHAN DRIVE THE HOVERCRAFT ONTO A GOLF COURSE TO RUN OVER THE WHITE TIGER LEADER GUY

Please do an episode on this movie!