🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
RyanMiller

Bloodsport (1988)

This is the only JCVD movie that I will sit all the way through to watch that big Korean dude throw dust in our hero's eyes, only to still "tap out" in the end! I actually kinda love this movie!

• Like 1

Besides 'JCVD' itself, this is probably the best Van Damme movie out there... but it's still HDTGM worthy. Though if we really want to plunge into the depths, how about 'Double Impact,' in which he plays twins or, better yet, 'Double Team,' in which he is assisted by none other than noted thespian Dennis Rodman!

• Like 1

Besides 'JCVD' itself, this is probably the best Van Damme movie out there... but it's still HDTGM worthy. Though if we really want to plunge into the depths, how about 'Double Impact,' in which he plays twins or, better yet, 'Double Team,' in which he is assisted by none other than noted thespian Dennis Rodman!

I agree, 'Bloodsport' made JCVD a household name. He did some stinkers at the end of his Hollywood run that certainly qualify for HDTGM. Being that Dennis Rodman's lifetime vocation was professional basketball, I'd be willing to bet that 'Double Team' stinks to high heaven.

I've never seen 'Double Team' but I'm envisioning a high karate kick of a basketball at some point during that movie.

JCVD .. isn't that the new format to replace HDDVD?

• Like 1

This movie was awesome .... this and Cyborg are really the only 2 JCVD worth watching ....

Some guy: But I heard you can get killed at that Kumite.

Jackson: Only if you fuck up.

This movie was awesome .... this and Cyborg are really the only 2 JCVD worth watching ....

Some guy: But I heard you can get killed at that Kumite.

Jackson: Only if you fuck up.

Whoa, you're nutso if you think there are only 2 JCVD movies worth watching!

Try Lionheart, man... Hard Target... Universal Soldier... Time Cop... or JCVD, which is a legitimately good movie!

Also, I just watched a jcvd movie that is up on Netflix called Assassination Games, came out in 09 i believe.... nothing mind altering, but a pretty good boiler plate action movie.

To be fair i don't think a single one of his movies is beyond reproach.. quality was never a concern :)

That said when i was back in school you weren't cool unless you watched all the crazy action flicks of the day and Mr Dame certainly pumped out the schlock with the best of them.

If only he had stuck with Predator... a 5' 8 hunter might have been a slightly easier foe for Arnie.

This would be a really good one the part where van damme becomes friends with ogre (playing a karate arcade game) is so stupid and the chase scene through hong kong is absurd.

• Like 1

While I believe that 1992-1995 was truly the Golden Age of Van Damme (Sudden Death may have been the last really terrific movie), this was a pretty solid star-making effort. Jeez, I haven't watched this in YEARS...

I second Double Impact. He's so casual about discovering that he has a twin.

I just wached bloodsport again, and it drove me to make this earwolf account for the purpose of promoting bloodsport as hdtgm worthy. While parts of the movie are quite good, a majority of it is quite rediculous.

From the begining, the sceens of Frank Dux (that is the actual name of Van Damme's character) as a kid was nearly 100% ADR. Seccondly, the two reasons for him learning karate was so the sensei's son could beat him up, after the sensei caught him standing around like an idiot stareing at some sword. The fact that he is in the military (besides goofy police) has no bearing on the movie at all. He meets his main sidekick character by playing a karate fighting game, instantly becoming best friends forever.

I can think of more things, but then why have a podcast. Anyway, I could be wrong but I think there is enough here for a great ep.

What's funny about this movie is that it is "based on a true story" but that has basically all been revealed to be bullshit. The Kumite took place at an address that was eerily the same one for Dux's home and the trophy he claims to have won was actually purchased at a mall trophy shop, by Frank Dux.

This and Can't Stop the Music are going to be the live shows this month!

• Like 1

They're missing a trick, they need to focus on the JCVD-less sequels, they're fucking bonkers to borrow a term from Jason.

Considering that all three of the sequels star the same guy, but for some reason, in Bloodsport 4, he's playing a completely different character, in a completely different story, and the other two movies don't exist. In Bloodsports 2 and 3, he's "Alex Cardo", so you'd expect him to be the same in number 4?! NOPE! He's fucking "John Keller".

The best part of it all is, the posters for the movie all had the same picture

• Like 1

My personal top 3 golden age JCVD movies (I recently rewatched a bunch of em):

1. Bloodsport

2. Double Impact (JCVD is having so much fun in this and totally pulling off playing twin roles)

3. Kickboxer

Timecop is also quite good, but not even in a bad way.

JCVD's golden age (1988-1995) has held up remarkably well.

Double Impact, Universal Soldier, Hard Target, Timecop and Sudden Death is an awesome run for any action star.

Even lesser known gems from this era (Lionheart, Death Warrant) are very re-watchable.

• Like 1

Why is JCVD the only one that needs to prove he's a fighter by breaking a brick? Ray Jackson didn't have to and he reg'd at the same time?

Am I suffering from a brain tumor or was their random cat meowing during the fight scenes? Was that part of the music?

Was this movie completely redubbed like a Jackie Chan flick or did my copy have a bad sync?

Let's be real here, Frank Dux shouldn't feel bad about Ray getting killed, if Ray didn't get taken out of the competition then at some point Dux would have to fight his new best friend, so really, Chong Li did him a huge favor

Is it just me or does Frank Dux have some really good skin? I feel like he's got an outstanding regiment he does every morning and night

Apparently 2 deaths is when a fighter crosses the line but that doesn't mean they're disqualified

Chong Li's assistant that slips the dust pill down his belt has a pretty nasty wart on his knuckle, me personally, I wouldn't let that wart anywhere near my junk

final fight: referee sucks at getting out of the way, and really, do they actually need a ref? his only purpose is to declare a winner and occasionally call someone dead, he doesn't need to be in the ring until then

After spending, what i'm assuming, was months of training how to fight and serve tea to angry customers while blind, you'd think it would come naturally to fight blind instead of having a massive panic attack and then have to meditate for a good 20 seconds while Chong Li sits and watches him

the chanting of Dux sounds like Deuce which makes me think they're rioting over bathroom conditions

wait, ray isn't dead? he sure looked dead, did I miss the part where they said he wasn't dead?

oh shit, it's the bed scene LOTR should have had

• Like 2