🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 83 Yellow Submarine

12 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I just want to everyone to remember the OTHER Beatles cartoon. One that had, if possible, even more puns per line.

Ringo here looks like you could drop him into Bob’s Burgers and he wouldn’t look out of place

• Like 6

Just now, tomspanks said:

Ringo here looks like you could drop him into Bob’s Burgers and he wouldn’t look out of place

I love how they decided Ringo was basically the Scooby-Doo/Jabber Jaw/Speed Buggy of the group.

Also, Paul’s burn on George’s empty head is pretty solid.

• Like 2

Had to draw a quick Jeremy, because he's honestly the only one who matters.

20200113jeremy.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JammerLea said:

20200113jeremy.png

That’s one beautiful Dr. Boob.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JammerLea said:

20200113jeremy.png

You’re so talented

• Like 3

I just read this on the Yellow Submarine article on wikipedia and I think we dodged a bullet

Cancelled remake[edit]

In August 2009, Variety reported that Walt Disney Pictures and filmmaker Robert Zemeckis were negotiating to produce a 3D computer animated remake of the film. Motion capture was to be used, as with Zemeckis' previous animated films The Polar Express (2004), Monster House (2006), Beowulf (2007) and A Christmas Carol (2009). Variety also indicated Disney hoped to release the film in time for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.[27] Disney and Apple Corps officially announced the remake at the inaugural D23 Expo on 11 September 2009.[28]

Comedian Peter Serafinowicz was cast to voice Paul, Dean Lennox Kelly as John, Cary Elwes as George and Adam Campbell as Ringo.[29] California-based Beatles tribute band The Fab Four was cast to perform the performance capture animation for the animated Beatles.[30][31]

In May 2010, Disney closed Zemeckis' digital film studio ImageMovers Digital, after the successful yet unsatisfactory box office performance of A Christmas Carol.[32] On 14 March 2011, Disney abandoned the project, citing the disastrous opening weekend results of Simon Wells' Mars Needs Moms. Criticism towards motion capture technology was also a factor.[32]

After its cancellation at Disney, Zemeckis tried to pitch the remake to other studios. By December 2012, Zemeckis expressed that he had lost interest in the project, stating: "That would have been great to bring the Beatles back to life. But it's probably better not to be remade – you're always behind the 8-ball when do you [sic] a remake."

• Like 5

This is too bad..

”According to the book "The 50 Greatest Movies Never Made" by Chris Gore, a sequel called "Strawberry Fields Forever" was being worked on at one point. It was to be first computer-generated movie ever. The movie was to utilize many songs from The Beatles. Ten minutes of test footage was shot, and has never been seen.“

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I saw this movie once, on a big screen in a beautiful old theater. I think that's the right way to see it: surrounded by the colors and music and such, not distracted by anything else. It's very enjoyable that way. I'm sure on the small screen it loses something.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

I saw this movie once, on a big screen in a beautiful old theater. I think that's the right way to see it: surrounded by the colors and music and such, not distracted by anything else. It's very enjoyable that way. I'm sure on the small screen it loses something.

I found an article about the Sgt. Pepper's album that said people weren't hearing it as intended until a recent anniversary box set.  Since it had been recorded in mono special tricks were used to enhance the sound.  All the stereo mixes most people heard lost a lot of the special audio.  I'm wondering if the movie is a similar way.  We might not be hearing the movie the way it was mixed for at the time?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I found an article about the Sgt. Pepper's album that said people weren't hearing it as intended until a recent anniversary box set.  Since it had been recorded in mono special tricks were used to enhance the sound.  All the stereo mixes most people heard lost a lot of the special audio.  I'm wondering if the movie is a similar way.  We might not be hearing the movie the way it was mixed for at the time?

Movies were mono at this time (maybe the are exceptions?)). I would summe virtually any streaming or DVD version would be mixed to stereo or 5.1. Maybe mono is an option but I doubt it's the default. So, we probably aren't hearing it as intended for theatres. The Yellow Submarine album was released only in stereo.

There was a Yellow Submarine songtrack (not soundtrack) released around 2001 that was remastered and remixed that a lot of people liked. I, being a purist and snob, never listened to it. I would assume modern mixes of the movie utilize this?

For Sgt. Pepper (and all the early Beatle albums and even a lot of albums at the time) were definitely mixed differently for mono and stereo. Sgt. Pepper and the white album definitely have notable differences for many songs. Some are even at very different speeds. Some have different sound effects entirely. The main reason for the differences are that more people had mono systems at home in 1967 and more care was put into mono mixing (at least for The Beatles). I don't know why they didn't mix in stereo and simply fold it into a single channel but I assume they had a reason. The mono version of Sgt. Pepper was released in 1967 but stopped being available as stereo became the standard. I don't think it was officially released again until the Beatles remasters in 2010 (or so, I don't remember the exact year).

• Like 4

To comment on the other Beatles movies . . . Ringo tended to get a lot of focus because he was the best actor. He's the only member who had any kind of career as an actor after the Beatles.

But it is kind of incredible that a band formed entirely on their own and just to play music (like, not a boy band where some producer is picking "types") wound up with four guys who were all also charming personalities who could hold up on screen. AND the music was also consistently great. We'll probably never see anything like that again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

Movies were mono at this time (maybe the are exceptions?)). I would summe virtually any streaming or DVD version would be mixed to stereo or 5.1. Maybe mono is an option but I doubt it's the default. So, we probably aren't hearing it as intended for theatres. The Yellow Submarine album was released only in stereo.

There was a Yellow Submarine songtrack (not soundtrack) released around 2001 that was remastered and remixed that a lot of people liked. I, being a purist and snob, never listened to it. I would assume modern mixes of the movie utilize this?

For Sgt. Pepper (and all the early Beatle albums and even a lot of albums at the time) were definitely mixed differently for mono and stereo. Sgt. Pepper and the white album definitely have notable differences for many songs. Some are even at very different speeds. Some have different sound effects entirely. The main reason for the differences are that more people had mono systems at home in 1967 and more care was put into mono mixing (at least for The Beatles). I don't know why they didn't mix in stereo and simply fold it into a single channel but I assume they had a reason. The mono version of Sgt. Pepper was released in 1967 but stopped being available as stereo became the standard. I don't think it was officially released again until the Beatles remasters in 2010 (or so, I don't remember the exact year).

Thanks to your comment I just spent the last 15-20 minutes comparing the songs from both stereo Sgt Pepper and Yellow Sub albums, the Songtrack, and a bit of the mono Sgt Pepper's on youtube lol. I feel like the mono is the most striking version. The stereo Sgt Pepper's, and even the Yellow Sub soundtrack just feel like they have some odd balance choices. While the Yellow Submarine Songtrack IS still stereo, I feel like they fixed a lot of the balance issues so it's closer to the mono version. Not quite there, but it has a much better sound than the other stereo releases. Bless whoever remastered the Songtrack.

I'm not sure if that remaster is what's used on the blu-ray. Our TV sound system isn't really good enough for me to tell anyway.

Also side note, was disappointed in the captions on the blu-ray. A few errors, plus anytime something like "I think I burnt me finger." came up they wrote "me" as "my", and no attempt to caption Old Fred's frantic yelling until he got to the "blue meanies!" part, even though you clearly hear "submarine" and "explosions" before that EACH TIME. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

To comment on the other Beatles movies . . . Ringo tended to get a lot of focus because he was the best actor. He's the only member who had any kind of career as an actor after the Beatles.

Serious shade being thrown at Paul Mccartney's amazing performance in Give My Regards To Broadstreet.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JammerLea said:

Thanks to your comment I just spent the last 15-20 minutes comparing the songs from both stereo Sgt Pepper and Yellow Sub albums, the Songtrack, and a bit of the mono Sgt Pepper's on youtube lol. I feel like the mono is the most striking version. The stereo Sgt Pepper's, and even the Yellow Sub soundtrack just feel like they have some odd balance choices. While the Yellow Submarine Songtrack IS still stereo, I feel like they fixed a lot of the balance issues so it's closer to the mono version. Not quite there, but it has a much better sound than the other stereo releases. Bless whoever remastered the Songtrack.

I'm not sure if that remaster is what's used on the blu-ray. Our TV sound system isn't really good enough for me to tell anyway.

Also side note, was disappointed in the captions on the blu-ray. A few errors, plus anytime something like "I think I burnt me finger." came up they wrote "me" as "my", and no attempt to caption Old Fred's frantic yelling until he got to the "blue meanies!" part, even though you clearly hear "submarine" and "explosions" before that EACH TIME. 

People say more knowledgeable than me have made lists detailing all the differences between mono and stereo Pepper and White Album of you want to Google them. The weirdest is Helter Skelter where the stereo version has an extra coda on the end. I've always loved the idea of someone owning the mono version and getting the stereo version on CD after 20 years and being blown away by that.

If I can "well, actually..." myself, a mono version of the Yellow Submarine soundtrack doesn't exist but the songs original to it were eventually released in mono on the mono version of Past Masters a few years ago. The orchestral songs have never been released in mono.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Serious shade being thrown at Paul Mccartney's amazing performance in Give My Regards To Broadstreet.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

giphy.gif

Look at the range of emotion in a mere two seconds. The subtlety and nuance of those raised eyebrows. Where is this man's Oscar?

• Like 1

I tried to rent this and couldn’t find it. It was a movie I saw in early childhood and have revisited throughout the years. It’s definitely an animated LSD trip (although since I’ve never taken LSD, I’m making an assumption and you know the old saying: when you assume, it makes you into an asshole. Or something like that).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

That's right, McCartney, COME AT ME BRO.

• Like 1

If Paul & Amy ever put out their live Beatles ep of Unspooled, you guys will be shocked how they refer to Give My Regards To Broad Street. (They didn't enjoy it.) haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

If Paul & Amy ever put out their live Beatles ep of Unspooled, you guys will be shocked how they refer to Give My Regards To Broad Street. (They didn't enjoy it.) haha

I’m shocked!!!

tumblr_ppulejTU271wpabc3_400.gifv

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, grudlian. said:

People say more knowledgeable than me have made lists detailing all the differences between mono and stereo Pepper and White Album of you want to Google them. The weirdest is Helter Skelter where the stereo version has an extra coda on the end. I've always loved the idea of someone owning the mono version and getting the stereo version on CD after 20 years and being blown away by that.

If I can "well, actually..." myself, a mono version of the Yellow Submarine soundtrack doesn't exist but the songs original to it were eventually released in mono on the mono version of Past Masters a few years ago. The orchestral songs have never been released in mono.

I found the article I had read.

• Like 2

For some reason I want to stress how terrifying the blue meanies are to a child.

I still look at them and kinda shiver. They are not chill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I found the article I had read.

Here's a forum going over the differences between mono and stereo. This is all over the place as far as song order goes but it's the first thing a Google search pulled up.

http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18854

EDIT:  Here's a better looking source for Sgt Pepper

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-1967.html

• Like 1