đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cam Bert

92nd Academy Awards Nominations

Here are all the nominations for the 2020 Academy awards. Let our complaining begin! 

Best Costume Design

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

Best Sound Mixing

Ad Astra

Ford V Ferrari

Joker

Best Sound Editing

Ford V. Ferrari

Joker

Star Wars: Episode IX—The Rise Of Skywalker

Best Original Score

Hildur Guðnadóttir, Joker

Alexandre Desplat, Little Women

Randy Newman, Marriage Story

Thomas Newman, 1917

John Williams, Star Wars: Episode IX—The Rise Of Skywalker

Best Visual Effects

Avengers: Endgame

The Irishman

The Lion King

Star Wars: Episode IX—The Rise Of Skywalker

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell

Joker

Judy

Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil

Best Original Song

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away,” Toy Story 4

“I’m Gonna Love Me Again,” Rocketman

“I’m Standing With You,” Breakthrough

“Into the Unknown,” Frozen 2

“Stand Up,” Harriet

Best Short Film (Animated)

Daughter

Hair Love

Kitbull

Memorable

Sister

Best Short Film (Live Action)

Brotherhood

Nefta Football Club

The Neighbor’s Window

Saria

A Sister

Best Documentary Feature

American Factory

The Cave

The Edge Of Democracy

For Sama

Honeyland

Best Documentary Short

In the Absence

Learning To Skateboard In A War Zone If You’re A Girl

Life Overtakes Me

St. Louis Superman

Walk Run Cha-Cha

Best International Feature Film

Corpus Christi

Honeyland

Les Miserables

Pain And Glory

Parasite

Best Production Design

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Parasite

Best Editing

Ford V. Ferrari

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Parasite

Best Cinematography

The Irishman

Joker

The Lighthouse

Best Animated Feature

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

I Lost My Body

Klaus

Missing Link

Toy Story 4

Best Supporting Actress

Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell

Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit

Florence Pugh, Little Women

Margot Robbie, Bombshell

Best Supporting Actor

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes

Al Pacino, The Irishman

Joe Pesci, The Irishman

Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

Best Adapted Screenplay

Steve Zaillian, The Irishman

Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit

Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Joker

Greta Gerwig, Little Women

Anthony McCarten, The Two Popes

Best Original Screenplay

Rian Johnson, Knives Out

Noah Baumbach, Marriage Story

Sam Mendes, Krysty Wilson-Cairns, 1917

Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

Bong Joon ho, Han Jin-won, Parasite

Best Actor

Antonio Banderas, Pain And Glory

Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

Adam Driver, Marriage Story

Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Best Actress

Cynthia Erivo, Harriet

Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story

Saoirse Ronan, Little Women

Charlize Theron, Bombshell

Renee Zellweger, Judy

Best Director

Martin Scorsese, The Irishman

Todd Phillips, Joker

Sam Mendes, 1917

Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood

Bong Joon ho, Parasite

Best Picture

Ford V. Ferrari

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Marriage Story

Parasite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taylor anne photo said:

giphy.gif

I really thought we might get a woman nominated for best director.

• Like 1

Just now, grudlian. said:

Oh I knew we wouldn't. I'm just shocked that Little Women is the only female directed movie recognized at all.

ETA: Oh oops I did accidentally overlook Tom Hanks who was in a female directed movie, but that is the only other one to be recognized this year.

3 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I've yet to see Little Women but something tells me Greta Gerwig deserves to be there more than Todd Phillips.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, taylor anne photo said:

Oh I knew we wouldn't. I'm just shocked that Little Women is the only female directed movie recognized at all.

ETA: Oh oops I did accidentally overlook Tom Hanks who was in a female directed movie, but that is the only other one to be recognized this year.

Every single one of the best actress and best supporting actress nominees are women!!!!! What more do you want?!?!?!?!?

Harriet was directed by a woman as well but it was merely nominated for acting.

3 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Every single one of the best actress and best supporting actress nominees are women!!!!! What more do you want?!?!?!?!?

Ah I haven't seen Harret yet so I genuinely had no idea.

I wanted Awkwafina and JLo to get acting nominations this year, and they were both directed by women as well. In fact I'm FLOORED that The Farewell didn't receive A SINGLE FUCKING NOMINATION!

• Like 3

Also, is it just me or is it odd Ford v Ferrari is best picture nominated? I haven't seen it yet (just opened here) but it has no directing, writing or acting nominations. Normally best picture nominees are represented in the main categories.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Also, is it just me or is it odd Ford v Ferrari is best picture nominated? I haven't seen it yet (just opened here) but it has no directing, writing or acting nominations. Normally best picture nominees are represented in the main categories.

I don't know a single person that saw it.

7 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

If we're talking purely on direction and nothing else, I think Joker is at least in the conversation for best direction. I'd put it in over One Upon A Time In Hollywood. I'd put Little Women above both on directing though.

3 minutes ago, taylor anne photo said:

Ah I haven't seen Harret yet so I genuinely had no idea.

I wanted Awkwafina and JLo to get acting nominations this year, and they were both directed by women as well. In fact I'm FLOORED that The Farewell didn't receive A SINGLE FUCKING NOMINATION!

Ugh. I hadn't even noticed. That's bullshit.

1 minute ago, Cam Bert said:

Ford V Ferrari is perfectly fine. Nothing stands out about it but it's maybe better than the sum of its parts. I definitely wouldn't have nominated it for best picture. But it's worth watching.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, taylor anne photo said:

Yeah but only two movies were made last year that were directed by women, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before we get too negative with everything I just want to say what a great year this is for South Korean cinema. Not only was last year the 100th anniversary of South Korean cinema but Parasite is the first South Korean movie nominated for best international picture (formly best foreign language film). Not only that but it is also the 12th foreign film to get the best picture nod as well. In addition Bong Joon Ho is the first South Korean to be nominated for best director as well. This is all a big win for a great movie as well. Personally, I would have liked to see some acting nods for it as well but that production design nomination is a good call. 

• Like 4

I also want to say that I'm glad Frozen 2 wasn't nominated for Animated Feature.

Has Spielberg pitched a fit yet about all the Netflix movies being nominated? Or is that only when it's GDT?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm also very happy for Florence Pugh getting nominated because I thought she was one of the standouts in acting this year.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Has Spielberg pitched a fit yet about all the Netflix movies being nominated? Or is that only when it's GDT?

Alfonso Cauron directed Roma, but your sentiment still stands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, taylor anne photo said:

Alfonso Cauron directed Roma, but your sentiment still stands.

Oof! My bad! I still haven’t seen it. I just remember all the hullabaloo. It’s just crazy—Cauron makes a Netflix movie (“This isn’t cinema!”), Scorsese makes a Netflix movie...crickets.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Oof! My bad! I still haven’t seen it. I just remember all the hullabaloo. It’s just crazy—Cauron makes a Netflix movie (“This isn’t cinema!”), Scorsese makes a Netflix movie...crickets.

We know exactly the reasoning behind those crickets...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

After Little Women was bizarrely shut out by the Globes, I'm glad it got lots of nominations here. And yes, I would have nominated Gerwig for director.

Joker is going to age very poorly, mark my words. It's a surface-level impressive movie that doesn't have the depth people think. But given the awards season to date, I knew it would get a lot of nominations here.

Meanwhile, the Documentary branch continues its trend of bizarrely leaving out some popular, critically-acclaimed doc because . . . reasons. (That would be Apollo 11 this year.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I think we have to give him a bit more time to say something dumb about the future of movies. He didn't come out anti-Roma the same day the nominees were announced last year.

Now if Ford V. Ferrari somehow wins best picture...

• Like 2

I’m legitimately excited to see Parasite get some love and I hope it takes Joker out.

i don’t see how Joker was nominated for best adapted screenplay. I have not seen Little Women yet, but it clearly deserves the win here.

• Like 1

Ford V Ferrari was actively OK, I just don’t give a shit about auto racing.

basically, the academy has set up these awards to—surprise, surprise—largely be as bland as possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I’m legitimately excited to see Parasite get some love and I hope it takes Joker out.

i don’t see how Joker was nominated for best adapted screenplay. I have not seen Little Women yet, but it clearly deserves the win here.

Should have mentioned Parasite, though given the awards season thus far it seemed clear that was getting a Best Picture nomination plus a bunch of others. This is a big landmark for South Korean cinema.

• Like 1