🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ol' eddy wrecks

The Gold Rush

AFI Poll  

9 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does The Gold Rush belong on the AFI Top 100 List

• I'll make you a millionaire in a month!
    • Tastes like shoe

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/24/20 at 05:00 AM

Amy & Paul dig into 1925’s chilly Charlie Chaplin comedy The Gold Rush! They wonder whether the Tramp smells bad, learn about the tradition of Christmas crackers, and ask if this is the best Chaplin film on the AFI list. Plus: Composer Cliff Retallick talk about what it’s like to compose for silent film screenings.

How would you cast a modern version of The Wild Bunch? Call the Unspooled voicemail line at 747-666-5824 with your answer! Follow us on Twitter @Unspooled, get more info at unspooledpod.com and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts. Photo credit: Kim Troxall

HEAR THE EPISODE

I'm surprised Amy and Paul were so high on it, because I find this the weakest of the Chaplin movies on the list. Some very iconic scenes (eating the shoe, the bread roll dance) and technically impressive filmmaking, but IMO it doesn't hold together as well as City Lights as a story or as well as Modern Times as a thematic/artistic statement. I voted to take this one down and leave the others on.

• Like 1

I wish I could have my turning moment on Chaplin that Paul seems to have had with silent films in general, but I think I might just not like Chaplin's style.

This is caveated with realizing it's unclear how much Chaplin I've seen. Within the last decade it's been City Lights, twice, and now The Gold Rush. Comedy can be rough if you just aren't laughing.  I found The Gold Rush to be sprawling (in a bad, unfocused way).

Which is to say, I am echoing @sycasey 2.0's surprise Paul and Amy swooned over this one. At least in terms of wasn't expecting it. 

Speaking of other acclaimed 1925 silent films (mentioned in the podcast) - I also did not like Battleship Potemkin.  It's the only Eisenstein I've seen and it was only once, so it's possible I can be swayed. 

I am admittedly not that well versed in early silent films, but I've found at least some that I like.

2 hours ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

I wish I could have my turning moment on Chaplin that Paul seems to have had with silent films in general, but I think I might just not like Chaplin's style.

This is caveated with realizing it's unclear how much Chaplin I've seen. Within the last decade it's been City Lights, twice, and now The Gold Rush. Comedy can be rough if you just aren't laughing.  I found The Gold Rush to be sprawling (in a bad, unfocused way).

Which is to say, I am echoing @sycasey 2.0's surprise Paul and Amy swooned over this one. At least in terms of wasn't expecting it. 

Speaking of other acclaimed 1925 silent films (mentioned in the podcast) - I also did not like Battleship Potemkin.  It's the only Eisenstein I've seen and it was only once, so it's possible I can be swayed. 

I am admittedly not that well versed in early silent films, but I've found at least some that I like.

I like The Gold Rush quite a bit and it's probably my favorite Chaplin movie. I think a lot of his movies are more ambitious (or, doing more emotionally) but Gold Rush is just funnier. It makes me laugh way more than any of his other movies (which often don't work for me on the intended emotional level). If pressed, I would probably say Modern Times or The Kid are "better" movies but I'd rather watch The Gold Rush.

For Eisenstein, I can see his importance but I'm not super into his work. All the movies of his that I've seen are very much a reaction to the Soviet Russia Eisenstein lived in which isn't meaningless today but significantly less interesting for me. Alexander Nevsky is probably the one I enjoy most but it's not something you haven't seen done many times since. I wouldn't push anyone really hard to watch it unless they really wanted to see where Braveheart came from.

Paul, $7.50 a day was nothing to sneeze at if you were otherwise unemployed in 1925. It translates to over $100 a day today. I watched the Gold Rush for the first time last night and laughed out loud during the fight over the rifle. My adult son came in halfway through the film and was blown away by what Chaplin was able to achieve in terms of special effects in 1925. And we both loved the old man dance at the New Year's Eve party.

Another loose Star Wars connection:

In the penultimate episode of the 2nd season of Felicity (a.k.a. the best show of all time), written by J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, Felicity and Ben watch The Gold Rush.  Ben had previously stood Felicity up, so he makes amends by finding the movie (and, one assumes, a projector). They set it up on their rooftop and watch the film (at least until after the dinner roll scene) and make out and it's all so beautiful you just want to die.

felicity_time_machine_1.gif

felicity_time_machine_2.gif

Felicity.jpg.b9836e0d02e8307053532c6a484d7924.jpg

felicity_rooftop_kiss.gif

• Like 1

I watched the 1942 version because it was the only one I could get my hands on.  Even though Paul and Amy bashed it, I thought it was still amazing and would argue that it belongs on the list in any cut. I don’t think the voice over was necessary—and would be interested in seeing the original after they talked about cuts that were made—but the film contained such a well-rounded mix of action/adventure, drama, pathos and comedy that it was like getting several different films in one.

Also, crackers are a tradition for Christmas with my family as well, one that I’ve grown up with and we do every year. I’m genuinely sorry that Amy has not experienced the joy of reading terrible jokes aloud while wearing a paper crown. Perhaps one day, she’ll get the chance...🎉